where expertise comes together since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Corrosion testing of in-situ pipe
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

SONOTEC Ultraschallsensorik Halle GmbH
SONOTEC is an ever-growing technology venture, which develops and produces methods and products based on ultrasonic measurement.

Technical Discussions
04:52 Feb-15-2001
Matt Clark
Corrosion testing of in-situ pipe
Could anyone advise me of a device that could examine a length of 6" pipe up to 5 miles long in one go. For corrosion, thickness and other abnormalies. The pipe has access at both ends
no bends or other restrictions as far as I know. I believe the pipe to be a sch40 thickness. I guess the device may be a 'PIG' type unit but must be cabable of travelling in and out the full length. The unit would need to be shipped to a third world country!. If no ones knows of such equipment for this length how far if possible. Also cost guide would be helpfull.
Thanks in anticipation

05:13 Feb-15-2001

Christoph Schnitger
Consultant, ,
TCP Pr├╝ftechnik GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Dec 2000
47 Stand of TCP Pr├╝ftechnik GmbH
Re: Corrosion testing of in-situ pipe

Dear Matts,

i submiot your inquiry to the compamy 3 P Services in Lingen ; Germany who
is one of the major manufactures for intelligent pigging also ca offer you the full
range in magnetic flaw scan outside fron non-isolated pipes over the ground !

Who can contact them directly under : http://www.3p-services.com

Greetings

Christoph

08:07 Feb-21-2001

John O'Brien

Consultant, - ,
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
A tethered ultrasonic pig would do the job for you. I would need to check limitations on diameter plus you would have to flood the pipe with water or other liquid as a couplant. Length should not be a problem. Wall thickness resolution +/- 0.1 mm, 360 Degree coverage over full length. Third World country no problem.
Not likely to be cheap.
If you can provide more details I may be able to provide other options.

08:36 Apr-09-2001
Tom Price
Try the Norwegian organisation called AGR Emiteam AS. Not cheap but v.high quality data recorded. They can offer an ultrasonic pig and may build one specifically for your application if required. Your pipe will need to be v.clean i.e. free from scale,wax,sludge,etc, and the pig can be driven by water (which acts as the couplant).

09:42 Apr-10-2001

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
If the testing pig needs a very clean pipe i.d, it is probably better to first send a cleaning pig in the pipe before attempting to test the pipe with the Norwegian setup described. The cleaning pig could also incorporate a lighted visual inspection camera to ensure that the scale etc., has been fully cleaned. Would like to hear other experts' perception on this - Swamy

: Try the Norwegian organisation called AGR Emiteam AS. Not cheap but v.high quality data recorded. They can offer an ultrasonic pig and may build one specifically for your application if required. Your pipe will need to be v.clean i.e. free from scale,wax,sludge,etc, and the pig can be driven by water (which acts as the couplant).

09:43 Apr-10-2001

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
If the testing pig needs a very clean pipe i.d, it is probably better to first send a cleaning pig in the pipe before attempting to test the pipe with the Norwegian setup described. The cleaning pig could also incorporate a lighted visual inspection camera to ensure that the scale etc., has been fully cleaned. Would like to hear other experts' perception on this - Swamy

: Try the Norwegian organisation called AGR Emiteam AS. Not cheap but v.high quality data recorded. They can offer an ultrasonic pig and may build one specifically for your application if required. Your pipe will need to be v.clean i.e. free from scale,wax,sludge,etc, and the pig can be driven by water (which acts as the couplant).

02:08 May-10-2001
Eugene Liu
Please call me @ 281-588-8889.

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us