where expertise comes together since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT of tubes OD 88,9mm, 3,2mm wall thickness
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

Sonatest Ltd
From our UK based HQ, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.

Technical Discussions
14:31 Mar-11-2009
Joerg Neubert
UT of tubes OD 88,9mm, 3,2mm wall thickness
Hello,
does anyone have experience in the UT for longitudinal defects of tubes with OD 88,9mm and wall thickness of 3,2mm acc. to SEP1915.
We want to use standard probes like MWB45-4 or MWK45-4 (they are available) which have to be adapted using test coupon of same dimensions with ineer and outer notch of 0,2 mm depth. It is a manual testing of 24m tubes.
I guess the probes are not the right ones, does anyone have a recommondation for it?
Thanks in advance
Joerg

17:21 Mar-11-2009

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector, ,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: UT of tubes OD 88,9mm, 3,2mm wall thickness
In Reply to Joerg Neubert on 14:31 Mar-11-2009 (Opening).

Joerg,

I'm not familiar with your acceptance criteria and don't know what your probe looks like from the part number either except maybe that it is a 45┬║ Degree angle. But, at first glance, I would probably use a 12 mm diameter, 5 MHz probe (if your code allows, if not 2.25 MHz) with a 60┬║ Degree shoes. By my calculation the maximum angle you can use for this inspection in order to inspect the Inside Diameter is 68┬║ Degree, so 60┬║ Degree would be fine. This angle will provide you with a longer Skip Distance. With a 45┬║ Degree, your Skip Distance should be 14.39mm (because of the pipe curvature), where a 60┬║ Degree would give you a Skip Distance of 27.74 mm. This longer Skip Distance will allow you to find detect without them sitting under your transducer. Also, the shoe should be shape to the diameter of the tube to offer maximum contact and steady signal response.

On the other, I wonder if you have given Eddy Current a taught? You don't give much information regarding the material of the tube, but I'm sure a Low Frequency Eddy Current (LFEC) probe could be made (I assume you have access to the inside of the tube). You may want to look at the following codes for guidance: ASTM E215, E426 and E690.

Hope this will be of help.

16:29 Mar-12-2009

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector, ,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
In Reply to Michel Couture on 17:21 Mar-11-2009 .

Joerg,

I,m sorry, I,ve made a mistake in my calculations. According the tube diameter you are inspecting, the Skip distance for a 45┬║ degree shoe will be 7.19 mm and with the 60┬║ degree, the Skip Distance will be 13.87 mm. These value only reinforce my advise to use a 60┬║ degree shoe since with the 45, any indication found in the first half-skip will most likely be under the shoe and harder to map out.

Cherrio's

10:21 Mar-13-2009
Joerg Neubert
In Reply to Michel Couture on 16:29 Mar-12-2009 .

Hello Michael,
thanks for your advice. The test block will be ready next week then I will start my trials. I'll inform You about results.
The material shall made ready for higher requirements by this examination...
Joerg

16:09 Mar-13-2009

Dent
Consultant, NDE Manager and Level III/3,
Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998

If you have a lot of these to do, you may want to consider a handheld bubbler probe. It would also help if you could rotate the tubes while scanning.

17:10 Mar-14-2009

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, - ,
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
In Reply to Dent on 16:09 Mar-13-2009 .

Hello,

Ultrasonic testing of seamless steel tubes for pressure purposes during or after production using direct contact angle beam probes is not state of the art.

Immersion or bubbler technique with a mechanized system has to be used. When using standard immersion probes the required beam angles are provided by simple inclination of the probe.
With a 3,2 mm wall thickness inner and outer defects may be detected with the same beam angle. The suited angle has to be verified with the required test tube containing notches.

As German Specification SEP 1915 is referenced: This steel iron specification (SEP) of the German Association for Steel and Iron (VDEh) is withdrawn since many years.

Actual standard now is EN 10246-7:2005
Non-destructive testing of steel tubes - Part 7: Automatic full peripheral ultrasonic testing of seamless and welded (except submerged arc welded) tubes for the detection of longitudinal imperfections
(for longitudinal imperfections only),

which soon will be replaced by an EN ISO standard. Draft standard is already available:
ISO/DIS 10893-10:2009
Non-destructive testing of steel tubes - Part 10: Automated full peripheral ultrasonic testing of seamless and welded (except submerged arc-welded) steel tubes for the detection of longitudinal and/or transversal imperfections
(for longitudinal and transverse imperfections)

Hope this helps.

Udo Schlengermann
Convener CEN/TC138/WG2 (UT)
Chairman ISO/TC135/SC3 (UT)

16:48 Mar-16-2009
Jaroslaw Mierzwa

Hello
I am working in company that use special profilled tandem probes for flaws detection in thin pipe welds (2..8mm). There is the article on the web :
http://ultrasonic.home.pl/?doc=ultrahity/niezawodnosc/〈=en
Maybe it will help you.
With regards
J.Mierzwa

21:23 Mar-17-2009

S.Senthilkumar

Engineering, QA/QC/NDT,
NOV (National Oilwell Varco),
Angola,
Joined Mar 2006
In Reply to Jaroslaw Mierzwa on 16:48 Mar-16-2009 .

QCX-KBA dia 5.00mm probe with perspex (shoe) changeble can try. Same diameter, wall thickness 1.5mm we did by ET and suceeded. Immersion will be the most suitable one as told by another member.

Regards,
S.Senthilkumar

15:53 Mar-19-2009
Joerg Neubert
In Reply to S.Senthilkumar on 21:23 Mar-17-2009 .

Hello,
thanks for all advices. It was very interesting getting to know your experiences.
Knowing that direct contact technique is not "stat of the art" I had to try my best to get costumer satisfaction... I calculated 45┬░ as best suitable angle. I tried 45┬░ and 60┬░, the latter was not successfull. So I used 45┬░ for testing at test block using inner and outer notches of 0.2mm depth. I draw a line on the screen for the good area (maximum curve), then I searched for the notches and their echoes were well to be seen as defects. I could convince all my collegues that this technique will be suitable to detect longitudinal defects as demanded by SEP1915.
The tubes are newly manufactured from France, surely detected by UT but the costumer wants that they should be tested using SEP1915.
Thanks again
Joerg

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us