The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Corrosion Mapping Calibration Block & Standards
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

AMDATA Products (WesDyne)
Engineering and technical services dedicated to providing standard and custom NDE products and systems.

Technical Discussions
14:55 May-25-2009

Abbas Bombaywala
NDT Inspector,
Free Lance,
India,
Joined Jul 2007
Corrosion Mapping Calibration Block & Standards
Dear Member,

I want to know that are there any special codes and standard for Corrosion mapping or we have to just use the Asme Sec V article 4 for Manual UT, Is there any standard calibration block for Corrosion mapping,

How about if we can make one of our own calibration blocks with FBH of 1 mm & 2 mm dia with the different depth simulating the different percentage loss. for example for 10 mm plate 1 mm & 2 mm dia FBH with different depths from 50 % to 90 % of the thickness. Can we make this type of calibration block and prove the sensitivity.

Quick & Prompt reply will be highly appreciated

01:57 May-28-2009

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
39 Stand of Technology Design Ltd
Re: Corrosion Mapping Calibration Block & Standards
In Reply to Abbas Bombaywala on 14:55 May-25-2009 (Opening).

Abbas, As corrosion mapping is an in service inspection and is usually requested as part of the wider corrosion control effort, it is to my knowledge rarely approached from a strict regime controlled by a specification but rather a procedure or technique is established based on the corrosion mapping equipment manufacturers particular method of applying this procedure in his hardware/software and configuring these to conform with the corrosiom department/engineers requirements. This department or individual quite often even looks to the service provider to supply the procedure for the task. There may even be several alternatives that you could choose from to best complete the task. Although, I guess there's nothing wrong with making a block with artificial defects to qualify the procedure, remember that all you really are doing is measuring thickness and translating these wall thickness readings into a colour-graphic image that provides an excellent means of identifying trends. The actual data may also be interrogated in minute detail using the available software tools (cursors etc.) to provide specific depth readings of each recorded area (pixel). I suggest that you contact the equipment vendor, as suggested by a previous respondent, to get a step-by-step guide on how to configure system for corrosion mapping.

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us