The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
CALIBRATING THE AGR TD-HANDYSCAN
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

Guangdong Goworld Co., Ltd
Your choice to Goworld, your chance at the top of the world!

Technical Discussions
08:48 Jun-21-2010
L. Hakim
CALIBRATING THE AGR TD-HANDYSCAN
My company have 2 types of phased array machine. one of them is AGR handy scan. i have received some short course about some basic setup, calibrate and all that but still not enough. recently i have finished the CSWIP PAUT courses, but learning thru OMNISCAN. they got different types of setup and i still unsure about the basic calibration. how to setup the wedge delay, the velocity check, element check, the scanner setup etc.my equipment got 16/64 probe but can only place the active aperture in only 32 elements.its like 16/32. the wizard in the system are only avalaible on tofd, but not on paut.

where i can find, some notes or wizard about the td handy scan? the flow, the sequences from the first element check to scanning..?

00:17 Jun-22-2010

Luis Marka

Consultant, US-N2-S2.1,
Eclipse Scientific Inc.,
Brazil,
Joined Jan 2008
18 Stand of ECLIPSE SCIENTIFIC
Re: CALIBRATING THE AGR TD-HANDYSCAN
In Reply to L. Hakim on 08:48 Jun-21-2010 (Opening).

Our company also uses both systems, and each have its strong and weak points. In TD SuperView version 17.08 there is a field on the wedge parameters where the user can input the distance from 1st element to the front of the wedge. The software then adds this distance to the offset value so the 0 is actually where it should be. However the wedge delay (called Probe Delay) must be set manually, and every time a change in the focal law is made this value must be updated by measuring the sound path to, say, the 100mm radius on a IIW type 2 reference block. We usually place the wedge on the reference block, get the echo from the 100mm radius, put 0 in Probe Delay, read the sound path and then fill in Probe Delay with "soundpath - 100". I believe this is a weak point of the software, this parameter should be automatically recalculated every time a focal law is changed!

Velocity can be measured exactly as you would with a standard angle beam probe. Of course this should be the first parameter to be calibrated because the focal laws will take the velocity in account.

For individual element check we build a setup using "1" in the First Active and Number of Active (both Tx and Rx); Idx Points and Stride is 63 and 1, Angle Control is 0°, and wedge parameters are turned off. The gate may start at 0 and be some 150mm long (we will monitor the signal inside the wedge, so this value will depend on your wedge model). Probe Delay should be 0. After that, Scanner Setup must be changed to "Manual Input" and a display showing a B-Scan is created in the Display Control. By hitting F10 and giving a name for the file, the B-Scan will show one line for every single element. Dead elements or a bad contact in the probe connector shows as a "blanked" line, and good elements will show an echo from the surface of the wedge. This means you get a skewed line across the B-Scan display that represents the reflection of the nearly spherical wave front emitted by each element individually.

Scanner setup will depend on the type of scanning to be performed. The options in the software change if you use Strip Scan, Single Axis scan and so on. Usually strip scan is used for pipeline inspection with zone discrimination, and Single Axis for PA raster or sectorial scan, TOFD and so on.

Best regards,
Luis Marka

03:28 Jun-22-2010
L. Hakim
In Reply to Luis Marka on 00:17 Jun-22-2010 .

Thanks Luis..

I agree, Omniscan n the Handy-scan are quite similar in many ways and have their own pros n cons. such as, in Tomoview, both side/skew of scanning can be merge, while in the TD only on one side. i think, Omniscan got a very strong view on the analysis compared to the TD. the calibration on the Omniscan can be followed by sequences. such as, u have to perform wedge delay, velocity check and sensitivity check first before you can perform tcg. while in the Agr there's no sequence, or reminder about the calibration steps. only the reminder of the FOCAL LAWS is noticable.

and, why only TOFD wizard can be access in the Agr td handyscan? is it because my version of handyscan is the basic packaged software? is there any way that i can download it? Is there a tutorial, or a book that i can download-to shows the do's and dont's about the TD?

Regards,
Luqman Hakim

21:47 Jun-24-2010
massimo carminati
In Reply to L. Hakim on 03:28 Jun-22-2010 .

Another example of how easy is selling low price AUT equipment without giving enough knowledge to use them.

23:53 Jun-24-2010

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653,
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
In Reply to massimo carminati on 21:47 Jun-24-2010 .

Mr. Carminati has it exactly right. "the sweet taste of a cheap price goes away when the bitter reality becomes known". Buying NDE instruments by price will always hurt. I usually look at the most expensive, and work my way down a little from there. Corporate may not like the price, but the 'box' is capable of fast, accurate results.

12:10 Jun-25-2010

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
39 Stand of Technology Design Ltd
In Reply to Roger Duwe on 23:53 Jun-24-2010 .

Good day gentlemen

I have been following this thread with interest and feel it is time to inter-ject. As with any equipment there are those that are for and those that are against - this is healthy I believe because it gives manufacturers an added impetus to improve products and service. When it comes to phased array equipment it seems that the different camps tend to be par-ticularly partisan and quite often from a position of ignorance rather than knowledge. Interestingly two of the contributors in this thread have to my knowledge not had any direct contact with the manufacturer or their dis-tributors in at least a few years, if ever and do not own or use the equip-ment in question! It therefore concerns me when respected members of this forum make one line comments inferring that a particular piece of kit is inferior because it may be less costly to purchase.

We have contacted Mr. Hakim directly as we feel that any specific issues should be dealt with by direct support. I must point out however that as far as the CSWIP training is concerned, I assume that the training was through TWI who, for more that a year now, have offered their phased ar-ray course either geared towards the Olympus or the AGR products and had you specified which, they would have accommodated you. This is true for any of our approved training associates (a list of which is on the AGR website). It is a fact that the 'button pressing' procedures and concepts of the different manufacturer's equipment is quite different (and complex), even if the result and goal is the same, and it is therefore important to re-ceive at least some formal training in the use of specific equipment which AGR offers.

The equipment is also supplied with a set of interactive 'Interactive Prod-uct Training' tutorials on a CD which has received a very positive response across the board from users. I suggest users consult this resource but also be assured that the AGR technical staff are always at the usersÂ’ disposal to answer questions by phone, email, Skype etc.

The initial question regarding the inability to vary the aperture and the to-tal number of elements available is not consistent with the capability of the TD Handy-Scan, which is indeed a 32/64 element system but users can vary the aperture to any number of elements below 32 by changing the 'number of active elements' value in the ‘F-Law’ page and also ensur-ing that the correct total number of elements for the probe is defined in the 'Probe' page.
Secondly, it is true that currently the phased array wizard is inactive. This is as a result of the current development of an interactive capability be-tween the TD software and a well known ray-tracing package. Users can however build their phased array scan-plans in ESBeamtool3 and export the setup to the TD software (version 17.08 onward) - in fact, from Janu-ary 2010 all TD focus-Scan and Handy-Scan systems are shipped with ESBeamtool preinstalled as part of the package and an upgrade is avail-able for older systems

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us