The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT requirements for supported skirt of vertical pressure vessels
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

ScanMaster Systems (IRT) Ltd.
develops, manufactures, markets and supports quality ultrasonic instrumentation, automated ultrasonic inspection & imaging systems.

Technical Discussions
17:44 Jul-31-2010

Dao Huu Xuan
NDT Inspector,
Vietsovpetro, Velosi, AlphaNDT, CANDT,
Vietnam,
Joined Feb 2007
NDT requirements for supported skirt of vertical pressure vessels
I can not find out the statement in ASME VIII which are relating NDT requirements for supported skirt of vertical pressure vessels. I need to share from everyone.

Thank you,
Dao Huu Xuan

07:21 Aug-01-2010

John O'Brien

Consultant, - ,
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: NDT requirements for supported skirt of vertical pressure vessels
In Reply to Dao Huu Xuan on 17:44 Jul-31-2010 (Opening).

You will not find the requirements in ASME as its not part of the pressure envelope its a structural support. You may need to decide what you wnat to do. Soem owner simply apply ASME V for implementation and specify the degree of examination others may reference AWS D1.1.
In service API 510 and API RP 572 does require consideration of the non pressure envelope components.

16:19 Aug-03-2010

Len Andersen
Engineering,
New York City Department of Transportation,
USA,
Joined Nov 2009
In Reply to Dao Huu Xuan on 17:44 Jul-31-2010 (Opening).

Gentlemen:
Spent a year in Vietnam and speak some Vietnamese, and have been a Chemical Engineer with pressure vessel orientation for over twenty years. Personally if it was my project I would wish the design engineering concern to provide such information with appropriate sign off's. If that is not available and I want to comply with a code. The question is which code. In Vietnam, there is API, ASME, Japanese and others that might apply. Guessing blind is something that I will not do. I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen www.lenandersen.com
212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
www.lenandersen.com

18:53 Aug-03-2010

Senthilkumar

Engineering, QA/QC/NDT,
NOV (National Oilwell Varco),
Angola,
Joined Mar 2006
In Reply to Len Andersen on 16:19 Aug-03-2010 .

In my past I did RT, UT and MPI. Joint configuration was Buildup on Dished end with SAW Process (UT Compression and Shear wave Only accessible area & MPI)and machined to bring a Single side narrow grove or single vee. Welded root pass by using GTAW and rest by SAW.

UT As per ASME VIII D1
MPI only on out side weld.
RT Film inside with Lead sheet backup, source out side. (Asme VIII D1)

S.Senthilkumar

21:22 Aug-03-2010

Dao Huu Xuan
NDT Inspector,
Vietsovpetro, Velosi, AlphaNDT, CANDT,
Vietnam,
Joined Feb 2007
In Reply to Senthilkumar on 18:53 Aug-03-2010 .

Dear Senthilkumar,
I need to clarifying my original question...
A manufacturer has designed and fabricate vertical pressure vessels in accordance to ASME Code.
The approved design, drawings and NDT plan was not show NDT requirements for the Skirt portion of the vessels. This is non pressure parts. In order to confirm the quality of the welds, I understand which NDT method and which technique will be applied for each weld joint configuration. But, my question is that, "In ASME VIII, where is paragraph refer to examination requirements for the skirt?"
This question is to verify the correctness of NDT plan.
Thank you,

00:25 Aug-04-2010

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653,
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
In Reply to Dao Huu Xuan on 21:22 Aug-03-2010 .

Dao, the short answer is "No". Skirts have no specified Code NDE

The skirt is purely structural. It seems like you feel that some testing/inspection should be specified for the Skirt welds. I agree. I would send a "Request For Information -- RFI" to the Design Engineer of record.

Personally, if the skirt was welded by the same people who made the rest of the vessel welds, and I could perform some In-Process inspections/observations of the Skirt welds, I would feel that the Visual Inspx was enough.

14:40 Aug-04-2010

S.Senthilkumar

Engineering, QA/QC/NDT,
NOV (National Oilwell Varco),
Angola,
Joined Mar 2006
In Reply to Senthilkumar on 18:53 Aug-03-2010 .

Dear,
My company's ITP Said NDT Acceptence Criteria to be used ASME Sec. VIII.
SSK

01:50 Aug-08-2010
Collin Maloney
In Reply to S.Senthilkumar on 14:40 Aug-04-2010 .

Hi Dao

You are quite right, ASME VIII does not make this consideration, however as the skirt is an attachment to the pressure envelope the connecting weld should be to the same standard. Materials and attachment are covered by UG 54 and UG 82. Reference is made in the non manditory section of ASME, Appendix G, G9 where other codes are sought out for guidance i.e. BS 5500.
Roger is correct in his response, this is more a design issue based on structural considerations, so the designer should be sought out for specific requirements

14:10 Aug-19-2010
Dave
In Reply to Dao Huu Xuan on 21:22 Aug-03-2010 .

Check ASME IX.... we found our answers in that for the structual side of things. It does refer you to D1.1 but gives you a little more insite.

We generally use UT Shear wave inspection backed up by MT. RT is hard to clarifuy due to joint configuration

22:24 Aug-19-2010

Roger Duwe

NDT Inspector, API-510, 570, 653,
MISTRAS,
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
In Reply to Dave on 14:10 Aug-19-2010 .

Dave, are you sure you found a reference in Section IX? I just looked, found nothing pertinent. ASME IX is for Welding & Brazing procedures and qualifications. I don't believe that it has anything to do with inspection or testing requirements for Vessels or structures. Just for qualification welds.

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us