The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Phased array
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

NDT Supply.com, Inc.
NDT Supply.com ┬ľ is the place to find quality inspection instruments, supplies and accessories at reasonable prices.

Technical Discussions
23:10 Feb-01-2011
Jarry Muriel
Phased array
Hello

I looking for informations from users of TDHandyscan fromAGR.
From my own experience TOFD is competitive, but Phased array is very hard to performed with the soft. When recording with a scanner the display of C scans and D scans is very slow.
Do you think the Handyscan is adapted for site work, waterproof and resistant enought ?
How do you do when you have a bug on site work ? is there a hot line ?
Importation of setup with esbeam Tool, is it usefull performed phased array ?

Thanhs for answers.

11:21 Feb-02-2011

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
41 Stand of Technology Design Ltd
Re: Phased array
In Reply to Jarry Muriel on 23:10 Feb-01-2011 (Opening).

Hi Jarry
The TD Handy-Scan is supplied with a training CD that is interactive and will guide you through the procedures to set-up the software, calibrate etc. in a safe environment, If you do not have this CD please email me directly and I will send it to you. As for the speed of the system, by default the system is set to display data at the full capability of the system which would cause slow data collection when complex, multi-channel setups are enabled but this can be remedied quite easily:
1) In Setup-Configuration-Misc enable:
a)On-line Max Speed - this will cause the C-Scan to be displayed as a non-volume corrected image during data collection with a consequent speed increase. The image will then be automatically corrected when the file is opened for analysis.
b)Enable the Data Limits (Samples) option and choose from the drop-down menu either 100,300 or 600 samples. This will down-sample the displayed images and allow a dramatic increase in data collection speed. Some (if not all) other manufacturers also use this technique but it should be remembered that when you use it there will be a consequent loss of visual resolution so make sure that this is acceptable. I suggest that 300 is a good compromise between speed and image quality.

2)There are other 'tricks' you can use to speed things up like limiting the amount of data sub-panels open in SuperView during data collection (the views can be re-adjusted during analysis), switching off image filtering (this is done automatically when using the options in a & b above), Lower the digitising frequency (be careful to keep this to an acceptable limit), using the shortest possible gate length, lowering the pc's screen resolution to 600x800 etc.

Remember that the computer processor is being stressed to the extreme when collection PA data and therefore putting lots of 'pretty' pictures on the screen at the same time looks impressive but is not usually necessary; perhaps only a C'scan and a B/S scan would be sufficient - remember the way the data sub-panels are laid out and indeed what is displayed can be adjusted to suit at the click of a button when the file is opened for analysis (at this point the processor is now dedicated to what's on the screen and not doing UT anymore)

As for the ESBeamTool question - The latest version of the software (ver 18.02) imports PA and ToFD setups as well as the weld overlays.

You can send me an email or call me if you want any more information or assistance. I will be happy to give you more detailed assistance off the forum.
Best regards, Mark Nel

12:57 Feb-02-2011

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005

Hello Jarry
Further to my previous post - one obvious thing that I left out was that your PRF may be too low. This is a common mistake - Regards Mark Nel

13:48 Feb-02-2011

Luis Marka

Consultant, US-N2-S2.1,
Eclipse Scientific Inc.,
Brazil,
Joined Jan 2008
18 Stand of ECLIPSE SCIENTIFIC

Hi Jarry,
I would add a few hints to Mark's posts:

In most applications that use a Sectorial (sweep) PA channel, the angle step can be increased. For example, instead of a 1┬░ step between focal laws you can use 1.2┬░ or 1.5┬░, angular resolution should still be good enough. You can test by running scans on welds using different steps and comparing the images.
Same could be done to a Linear (raster) scan, in most cases a step of 2 element provides a image of enough clarity to detect/size discontinuities, but with much faster scanning and analysis.

Another "trick": ASME code allows to a 2mm resolution for the encoder in thicknes above 2", reducing file size in 50%.

Also, a large scan will produce a huge file that is slow to open/analyse. We usually divide a long weld in several 1-meter scans, this makes data handling much faster.

If you have a desktop PC or a fast notebook available on site, you may consider performing the acquisition on the HandyScan and then opening the file to analysis on the PC/notebook. You can use either a network connection or a USB pen drive to transfer the files.

Regarding resistence, the Handyscan is like any electronic equipment: it must be used with care. Think of it as a notebook, if you are careful when handling it you should have no problems.

By the way, I would suggest AGR to put a SSD drive in the machine instead of the hard drive currently in use: faster, lighter, uses less power and is way more resistent to mechanical shock.

Regards,
Luis Marka

14:25 Feb-02-2011

Tyler
Consultant, Pipeline,
NDT Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Feb 2009

Hi Jarry,

we have a number of Handyscans in use and are quite happy with them. If you turn all the settings to the max resolution then the system will be slow, but in general there is no need to have everything running at max resolution. AGR has been very supportive in helping us understand how to best work with the system. I would recommend a training at their facility.

Tyler

15:32 Feb-02-2011

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
In Reply to Luis Marka on 13:48 Feb-02-2011 .

Hello Luis, You will be happy to note that the Hard Disk drives are gone. As of June 2010 all new Handy-Scans are shipped with a 60Gb solid state disk and the same for Focus-Scans as of December 2010.
Regards
Mark Nel

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us