where expertise comes together ... since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Level 3 good or bad?
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions
ECNDT 2014 CMC Team (beta)

NDT Global GmbH & Co. KG
We are an internationally operating company with a major focus on developing and providing advanced non-destructive testing systems and services for ferrous and non-ferrous metals.

Technical Discussions
02:36 Jan-15-2002
Egan Dryczewycz
Level 3 good or bad?
I have been debating on writing my level 3 CGSB exams for MPI & LPI, but have heard that doors sometime close when you make the move from a level 2 to 3.

I would appreciate any feedback, has anybody experienced this or are level 3 as much in demand as level 2's.

Thanks in advance for the help.

07:48 Jan-16-2002
Dave Wilkes
Re: Level 3 good or bad?
This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
article called

Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?

http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp

You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
could well cost you work.

But if you want to advance to Management then you
have little choice.

No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
at what other people have said in that article.

Regards

Dave Wilkes
Asst Editor
NDTCabin

04:36 Jan-17-2002
Jeff Leak
I read over the NDTCabin link ... some good perspectives in that article: must read.

Jeff

: This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
: article called
: Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?
: http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp
: You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
: do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
: could well cost you work.
: But if you want to advance to Management then you
: have little choice.
: No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
: at what other people have said in that article.
: Regards
: Dave Wilkes
: Asst Editor
: NDTCabin

08:41 Jan-20-2002

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
It does look like a real dilemma. But are you planning to do level III and continue in the existing company or are you planning to quit and start looking all over again? If you want to continue with the present employer, it will be a good idea to discuss the prospect with the boss or other senior colleagues. If it is a question of looking afresh, I would suggest discussing with the recruitment agencies in the field. Again, good luck.

Swamy

: I read over the NDTCabin link ... some good perspectives in that article: must read.
: Jeff
:
: : This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
: : article called
: .
: : Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?
: : http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp
: : You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
: : do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
: : could well cost you work.
: : But if you want to advance to Management then you
: : have little choice.
: : No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
: : at what other people have said in that article.
: : Regards
: : Dave Wilkes
: : Asst Editor
: : NDTCabin

02:54 Jan-22-2002
Egan Dryczewycz
My current employer would like me to become a level 3 only for reasons of clout. We have no need for a level 3 but to sign of maybe one or two procedures a year.

I was just concerned that when and if I wished to seek new employment (seems to be once every 3 year) that becoming one would affect my marketability. General Consensus is that it would.

I like being a level 2 in RT, PT, and MT, I find the wage to be adequate and the work I perform to be interesting and challenging.

Thanks to all who replied, you helped make my decision that I am content right where I'am.

Egan

: It does look like a real dilemma. But are you planning to do level III and continue in the existing company or are you planning to quit and start looking all over again? If you want to continue with the present employer, it will be a good idea to discuss the prospect with the boss or other senior colleagues. If it is a question of looking afresh, I would suggest discussing with the recruitment agencies in the field. Again, good luck.
: Swamy
: : I read over the NDTCabin link ... some good perspectives in that article: must read.
: : Jeff
: :
: : : This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
: : : article called
: : .
: : : Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?
: : : http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp
: : : You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
: : : do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
: : : could well cost you work.
: : : But if you want to advance to Management then you
: : : have little choice.
: : : No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
: : : at what other people have said in that article.
: : : Regards
: : : Dave Wilkes
: : : Asst Editor
: : : NDTCabin

03:49 Jan-22-2002
FER
: My current employer would like me to become a level 3 only for reasons of clout. We have no need for a level 3 but to sign of maybe one or two procedures a year.
: I was just concerned that when and if I wished to seek new employment (seems to be once every 3 year) that becoming one would affect my marketability. General Consensus is that it would.
: I like being a level 2 in RT, PT, and MT, I find the wage to be adequate and the work I perform to be interesting and challenging.
: Thanks to all who replied, you helped make my decision that I am content right where I'am.
: Egan
:
: : It does look like a real dilemma. But are you planning to do level III and continue in the existing company or are you planning to quit and start looking all over again? If you want to continue with the present employer, it will be a good idea to discuss the prospect with the boss or other senior colleagues. If it is a question of looking afresh, I would suggest discussing with the recruitment agencies in the field. Again, good luck.
: : Swamy
: : : I read over the NDTCabin link ... some good perspectives in that article: must read.
: : : Jeff
: : :
: : : : This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
: : : : article called
: : : .
: : : : Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?
: : : : http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp
: : : : You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
: : : : do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
: : : : could well cost you work.
: : : : But if you want to advance to Management then you
: : : : have little choice.
: : : : No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
: : : : at what other people have said in that article.
: : : : Regards
: : : : Dave Wilkes
: : : : Asst Editor
: : : : NDTCabin
You can still take a job as a Level II onceyou gain Level III status. If the opportunity comes for your employer to pay for you to become a Level III, I say go for it. It can't possibly hurt you.
FER
RNDT

06:27 Feb-17-2002
Ed Kork
I say go for it. As with any field, if you are good, and willing to travel, having Level III certs can OPEN doors. I would suggest gaining national certification such as the ASNT NDT Level III cert issued BY the ASNT in Columbus, Ohio. Or, if you're in Canada, getting the CGSB Level III NDT cert in your appropriate Discipline/Sector. These national certifications have pretty high standards, so having them should say something about your qualifications to your potential employer.

Ed Korkowski
edkork@aol.com
NDT Level III ASNT/CGSB

: : My current employer would like me to become a level 3 only for reasons of clout. We have no need for a level 3 but to sign of maybe one or two procedures a year.
: : I was just concerned that when and if I wished to seek new employment (seems to be once every 3 year) that becoming one would affect my marketability. General Consensus is that it would.
: : I like being a level 2 in RT, PT, and MT, I find the wage to be adequate and the work I perform to be interesting and challenging.
: : Thanks to all who replied, you helped make my decision that I am content right where I'am.
: : Egan
: :
: : : It does look like a real dilemma. But are you planning to do level III and continue in the existing company or are you planning to quit and start looking all over again? If you want to continue with the present employer, it will be a good idea to discuss the prospect with the boss or other senior colleagues. If it is a question of looking afresh, I would suggest discussing with the recruitment agencies in the field. Again, good luck.
: : : Swamy
: : : : I read over the NDTCabin link ... some good perspectives in that article: must read.
: : : : Jeff
: : : :
: : : : : This situation was discussed on NDTCabin in an
: : : : : article called
: : : : .
: : : : : Level 3 qualifications are they worth it ?
: : : : : http://www.ndtcabin.com/level3.asp
: : : : : You are quite right to be concerned. Many employers
: : : : : do regard Level 3's as being overqualified and it
: : : : : could well cost you work.
: : : : : But if you want to advance to Management then you
: : : : : have little choice.
: : : : : No easy answer for you I am afraid but do take a look
: : : : : at what other people have said in that article.
: : : : : Regards
: : : : : Dave Wilkes
: : : : : Asst Editor
: : : : : NDTCabin
: You can still take a job as a Level II once you gain Level III status. If the opportunity comes for your employer to pay for you to become a Level III, I say go for it. It can't possibly hurt you.
: FER
: RNDT

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us