where expertise comes together since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Calibration Procedures for Immersion Ultrasound Testing
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can offer solutions for individual tasks in different areas of various applications of ultrasonic techniques

Technical Discussions
00:05 Jan-15-2002

Suresh Palanisamy

Student, - Ph D Engineering ,
Swinburne University,
Australia,
Joined Jul 2000
Calibration Procedures for Immersion Ultrasound Testing
Hi all,

I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.

My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
If so what are they.

Thank you,

Suresh Palanisamy

04:48 Jan-15-2002

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, - ,
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Calibration Procedures for Immersion Ultrasound Testing
reply by Udo Schlengermann
:

If you look for general standards on ultrasonic immersion technique, please take a look at the following ASTM specifications:

ASTM E124 (2001)
Standard practice for immersed ultrasonic examination by the reflection-method using pulsed longitudinal waves.

ASTM E1001 (1999)
Standard practice for detection and evaluation of discontinuities by the immersed pulsed-echo ultrasonic method using longitudinal waves.

Reference
More details how to use the ultrasonic immersion technique for special test objects you can only get from handbooks or by special training courses.
Reference objects for calibration using immersion technique have to be made close to the original material, size and shape to be examined, containing artificial reflectors if necessary.
Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
Agfa NDT GmbH

: Hi all,
: I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
: I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
: which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.
: My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
: If so what are they.
: Thank you,
: Suresh Palanisamy

08:47 Jan-20-2002

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In immersion testing, the calibration standards have to be of the same size, shape, material and metalurgical condition, so that the time of travel in the calibration block and the actual test object remains same. As for the transit time for the signal in water, temperature compensation is needed and surface echo triggered gates are best so that the echoes from the test object follow the changes in the surface contour properly.

Swamy

: reply by Udo Schlengermann
: :
: If you look for general standards on ultrasonic immersion technique, please take a look at the following ASTM specifications:
: ASTM E124 (2001)
: Standard practice for immersed ultrasonic examination by the reflection-method using pulsed longitudinal waves.
: ASTM E1001 (1999)
: Standard practice for detection and evaluation of discontinuities by the immersed pulsed-echo ultrasonic method using longitudinal waves.
: Reference
: More details how to use the ultrasonic immersion technique for special test objects you can only get from handbooks or by special training courses.
: Reference objects for calibration using immersion technique have to be made close to the original material, size and shape to be examined, containing artificial reflectors if necessary.
: Kind regards
: Udo Schlengermann
: Agfa NDT GmbH
: : Hi all,
: .
: : I am a researcher working on Ultrasound immersion testing of Aluminium parts.
: : I have a copy of the Australian Standard 2083-1981 -- Calibration Blocks and their methods of use in Ultrasonic Testing,
: : which explains basically about the ultrasound contact testing.
: : My question is whether there are any separate calibration standards for ultrasound immersion testing.
: : If so what are they.
: : Thank you,
: : Suresh Palanisamy

11:47 Oct-24-2014
amin
In Reply to Suresh Palanisamy on 00:05 Jan-15-2002 (Opening).

hi all,
i am final year student and working immersion testing of aluminium and steel.
my question what the standard dimension for plate and aluminium used in immersion testing and if yes,please attach with article and other information.

tq,
aminjunior

23:48 Nov-07-2014

Hamid
Engineering, Researcher,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2012
In Reply to Udo Schlengermann on 04:48 Jan-15-2002 .

Download Virus Scan recommended!

Hi,

I am trying to make reference block to measure the acoustic properties of a special class of steel. Actually, I am trying to use immersion testing method since I need the couplant layer to remain constant during the test. There will be some SDHs in the block. I am trying to avoid the interference between adjacent SDH reflection echos due to beam divergence; I would please like to know which of the images (in the attached document) is correct to be used for the design of the block.

Thanks

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us