The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
AGR TD Scan PAUT questions
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions
ECNDT 2014 CMC Team (beta)

ScanMaster Systems (IRT) Ltd.
develops, manufactures, markets and supports quality ultrasonic instrumentation, automated ultrasonic inspection & imaging systems.

Technical Discussions
21:22 Feb-01-2012
Gary
AGR TD Scan PAUT questions
Hi All,

Please if someone have experience in AGR unit could explain the Idx points and Stride in the focal law tab. Currently im setting up for linear scan but i seems confuse on how these two functions work.

Regards

08:19 Feb-02-2012

Shahid Bangash

NDT Inspector, ,
SGS Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd,
Pakistan,
Joined Feb 2009
Re: AGR TD Scan PAUT questions
In Reply to Gary on 21:22 Feb-01-2012 (Opening).

Gary
For Sectorial scan you need not to enter these parameters but for Linear(electronic) scan you should have to enter proper index point and stride values.
I initially thought of a reverse of that but actually If i m not wrong Index point is your element step & stride the total no of (I.P)steps to be proceeded.
If u have 16 no. of elements with 1 element active and u want to have a step of one element multiplexing up to last element then your index point should be one & Stride to be 15. In this case stride of 16 is not possible.
Similarly for 1 active element and multiplexing of 2 elements steps upto last element then your index point to be 2 & Stride to be 7.
let it try and respond

10:40 Feb-02-2012

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
43 Stand of Technology Design Ltd

Hi Gary
Shahid is correct, IDX POINTS is the number of steps the aperture will make (each step has a different index point) and STRIDE is the amount of elements to skip (if any) between steps. You can email me directly if you have any other questions - Mark

20:00 Feb-23-2012
Gary
In Reply to Mark Nel on 10:40 Feb-02-2012 .

Shahid and Mark Nel,

Thanks for the info. Btw i am succeed in understanding the concept between index points and stride but what is the relation between Number of Active, Idx points and Stride.
For example i am using 32 elements, the max i can input would be Active: 2, Idx points: 1 and Stride 6. How does the Active Elements affect to the Index points and stride.

Thanks.

10:06 Feb-24-2012

Mark Nel
, Applications Advisor,
Technology Design Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jul 2005
43 Stand of Technology Design Ltd
In Reply to Gary on 20:00 Feb-23-2012 .

Hi Gary, Lets take the example of a 64 element probe with a 32 element aperture(number of active), using an IDX Points setting of 1 (or 0 for pre version 19.00 software) then the aperture can move 32 times(64-32=32), but if you reduce the aperture to 16 elements then 48 steps can be made (64-16=48). If you keep the 16 elt aperture and change the STRIDE to 2 then the aperture will skip an element in every step so will therefore only make 32 steps. It is unlikely that you would use a higher number stride but of course it is possible, it should be noted that increasing the stride has advantages but also and a cost; the advantage is faster scanning and smaller file size, the cost is loss of resolution however this may be an acceptable loss if detection ability is proven.

17:05 Mar-06-2012

Carlos Su√°rez
Consultant, ASNT NDT LEVEL III,
Integrity & NDT Solutions,
Colombia,
Joined Mar 2010

Gary, is more easy to use ESBeamtool software for scanning plan, and after export it to AGR Equipment.

In ESBeamtool software, You can clarify questions about aperture, step, beam divergence and near field.

An aperture of 16 elements is appropriate for most cases

Regards

Carlos Su√°rez
www.youtube.com/tecnicontrolsa

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us