where expertise comes together since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
About metal hardness testing by eddy-current
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions

Technical Discussions
04:11 Jun-22-2002
Ch.Y.Xiao
About metal hardness testing by eddy-current
Who can give me some suggestions about metal hardness testing by eddy-current?
Thanks.

03:47 Jun-23-2002

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: About metal hardness testing by eddy-current
: Who can give me some suggestions about metal hardness testing by eddy-current?
: Thanks.

Pl. describe clearly what you are looking for. If you prefer, you can contact me directly at .

Swamy

06:52 Jun-24-2002
Sean Franklin
:In addition to eddy-current, Resistivity – a basic principle of electricity - is a proven and widely used method of ndt to help determine the case depth and hardness of metal. The Physical Acoustics M100A Metal Inspector uses resistivity as it pulses a rapidly reversing direct current into the metal through a 4-point probe, and measures the metal’s resistance to the current flow.

Metal in a hardened state will always exhibit a higher resistivity to the flow of electricity than an unhardened metal because its grain structure has become more tightly packed through heat treatment. The greater the case depth of any given parts, the higher the resistivity reading on the M100A display screen. Likewise, annealing will bring the resistivity back down.

For further information, please contact Sean Franklin at Physical Acoustics Corporation, via Sfranklin@PACNDT.com or (609) 716-4088

: Who can give me some suggestions about metal hardness testing by eddy-current?
: : Thanks.
: Pl. describe clearly what you are looking for. If you prefer, you can contact me directly at .
: Swamy

06:09 Jul-04-2002

David Forsyth

R & D,
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Conductivity/resistivity measurements are not able to determine hardness in 7000 series aluminiums, see
http://www.ndt.net/article/aero1197/forsyth/forsyth.htm Figure 1, which should have an x axis label of conductivity. I do not know about other materials.

Dave.

: :In addition to eddy-current, Resistivity – a basic principle of electricity - is a proven and widely used method of ndt to help determine the case depth and hardness of metal.

08:55 Oct-12-2002
SADIK SAYYED
Re: About metal hardness testing by eddy-current and experimental set up for the same
: Conductivity/resistivity measurements are not able to determine hardness in 7000 series aluminiums, see
: http://www.ndt.net/article/aero1197/forsyth/forsyth.htm Figure 1, which should have an x axis label of conductivity. I do not know about other materials.
: Dave.
: : :In addition to eddy-current, Resistivity – a basic principle of electricity - is a proven and widely used method of ndt to help determine the case depth and hardness of metal. also tell me about experimental setup to determine the hardness by this method .

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us