The Open Access NDT Database

The Web's Largest Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
General Discussions >
Question about surface NDT for small diameter pipeline
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions
ECNDT 2014 CMC Team (beta)

General Discussions
05:45 Feb-27-2012
Starrry
Question about surface NDT for small diameter pipeline
Hello experts,
I want to do a periodic inspection of my pipeline, the pipeline outside surface need to do surface NDT according to the contract.

The general choices of surface NDT are: VT, MT,PT, ET
For pipeline of small diameter, like pipeline from Φ45 to Φ108, would be the most efficient way?
PT is a possible choice, despite the efficiency.
MT is my favorite choice, but I'm not sure for so small pipeline, is there any commercial MT device available?

Maybe there are other efficient way of surface NDT for small diameter pipeline, thanks for advice!

07:03 Feb-27-2012
Ed T.
Re: Question about surface NDT for small diameter pipeline
In Reply to Starrry on 05:45 Feb-27-2012 (Opening).

What exactly are you looking for? What type of defects?

12:29 Feb-27-2012

anjafo

NDT Inspector,
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
In Reply to Ed T. on 07:03 Feb-27-2012 .

Arent you better looking at Electromagnetic techniques such as MFL pipe scanners for this?

15:01 Feb-29-2012

Syed Ali

R & D, ,
Innerspec Technology,
USA,
Joined Oct 2009
14 Stand of Innerspec Technologies
In Reply to anjafo on 12:29 Feb-27-2012 .

EMATs can be one of efficient ways to inspect surface for small cracks. EMATs can easily generate Raleigh waves which can detect surface and near surface cracks. You need to specify the normal depth of the cracks you want to detect and possible orientations of the defects. What is the material you want to inspect. We have already installed in line systems for surface wave inspection at high speeds in industrial environments.

To know more about EMATs and about us please visit

23:38 Mar-01-2012

Joe Buckley
Engineering, Applications Technology Manager ASNT L-III,
Sonatest Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
344 Stand of Sonatest Ltd
In Reply to Starrry on 05:45 Feb-27-2012 (Opening).

As Ed says, what are you looking for?, you say there is a contract. What does it require?

If there is just a general 'you must do some inspection' the contractural requirement is meaningless.

What is in the pipe? what is it made of?

Once we know what you want you do we can help.

As a general comment, just a surface inspection is quite unusual, with adequate protection and support surface problems are unlikely.its generally what's going on inside that is the issue.

11:45 Mar-02-2012
Starrry
In Reply to Joe Buckley on 23:38 Mar-01-2012 .

sorry, I don't make myself clear enough.
The pipelines contain pressured air, oxygen, carbon dioxide and nature gas.
Actually, it's not the CONTRACT problem,it's the government recommend practice files.
They say: YOU NEED TO DO SOME SURFACE NDT。

07:30 Mar-06-2012

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, - ,
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
In Reply to Starrry on 11:45 Mar-02-2012 .

If that is really all that is said in the RP and you are sure there is no other requirement then do exactly that. Choose a method that you think is the most effective and use the "KISS" principle which will probably, depending on the circumstances, mean either MT or PT.
In-service pipework will not be clean so if you opt for PT you will have to clean the surface and maybe even grind the welds to give you an acceptable surface finish. MT would probably be quicker and more effective.
MT is not a problem on small bore pipework if you use an ac yoke with adjustable feet, although any standard method will be time consuming.
MFL may be an option but you will need the (expensive) kit for this as with other up-market tequniques.

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us