where expertise comes together ... since 1996

The Web's Largest Open Access Database of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum and a Professional Network
All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions
General Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Italian NDT Talk
About Articles & News
Special Sessions
ECNDT 2014 CMC Team (beta)

IMASONIC S.A.
We offer adapted services depending on your profile and specific needs.

General Discussions
03:51 Dec-25-2009
Ashok Raj. B
career in NDT, AWS-CWI
I 'm Ashok Raj from India. I am a fresh B.E Mechanical Engineer of 2009 batch
and done a short course on design related software(CAD/CAM/CAE). I 'm
getting to know about the wide scope of career in NDT. I would like to
know which of the NDT methods have a wide scope, the places/institutes
where i can peruse these courses in India. I am told that AWS-CWI is
also a related Certification with NDT. Can i be able to peruse this
Certification also along with NDT and the Institutions offering this
courses in India. Are these courses be done on part time basis or need
full time and the approx. duration. Your guidance would enable me to
take a valuable/timely decision to start my career. Hope you help me
out with your detailed and early response.

05:04 Dec-26-2009

Prakash Krishna

Engineering,
India,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: career in NDT, AWS-CWI
In Reply to Ashok Raj. B on 03:51 Dec-25-2009 (Opening).

Try to choose a line, upto me NDT is sea. We learn only small portion in India. From aircrapt to railway lines they do NDT. Now a days even DIPLOMA, ITI, MBA,BSC,MA,BA,10 & 12th class students do NDT Level II , later they do AWS-CWI. Try to go in the Engg core line. Think ahead - now a days too many pupil are there in this field. You have to think ahead. This ASNT Level II and CWI will not the end. Keep going in other Dept. Really dont waste ur degree. If u really need to start go for MS in Ndt or Materrial Science or M.Tech Welding Tech. Even my frnd is working in NDT field. BUt he is working in ISRO. Plz take note. Its doesnt mean if u study NDT Lev II with CWI. You can reach the top. Go for the better ride.

Prakash Krishna
QA Engineer,
2007, Anna Univ Passout,
KSA

07:03 Jan-09-2010
Sharath Satheesh
In Reply to Prakash Krishna on 05:04 Dec-26-2009 .

Hi, my name is Sharath. I am electronics & Communication engineering student, presently in my 3rd year. I would like to know more about career oppotunities in NDT. Is it foolish to think about going for NDT after btech in electronics??? please guide me.

05:46 Jan-10-2010

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control,
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Sharath Satheesh on 07:03 Jan-09-2010 .

Dear Sharat,

Sai Ram. That is rather odd thinking! Since you have studied enough physics, you can in theory do well in NDT field but you would be at a disadvantage compared to mechanical engineers, metallurgists etc.

If you are still interested, why not get into the NDT instrumentation sector where you can design, make, maintain or sell them?

With best wishes

Swamy

13:46 Jan-11-2010
Dr. Ahmed Yamani
In Reply to Sharath Satheesh on 07:03 Jan-09-2010 .

Hello Mr. Sharath,

With all the respect for Mr. Swamy, I think that with the exploding IT ( electronic) revolution that we are living in now, an electronic engineer is more suitable for NDT than his counterpart mechanical metalurgist engineer nowaday. The instrumentation coupled with with microprocessor/computer controlled equipement that we are witnessing now in AUT, PA, ET,... imply that digital signal/image processing, software/harware awareness are basic pre-requisite foir such career. Of course, an electronic engineer has to do extra work to understand the physics of matter. This is my personnel opinion only and I may be wrong. I think after few years we will no longer hear of x or Y engineer as every thing become multidisciplinary... good luck.

16:55 Jan-11-2010

S.V.Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Dr. Ahmed Yamani on 13:46 Jan-11-2010 .

Dear Dr. Yamani,

I was not trying to dissuade Sharat and in fact I briefly touched upon avenues in instrumentation side of the NDT equipmeht, which you have elaborated. An NDT practitioner is not required to go deep into the electronic aspects and similarly an electronic engineer will use very little of his knowledge in the field inspection of pipes, tubes, welds, heat exchangers, boilers, pressure vessels, aerospace parts, rail roads etc.

02:30 Jan-13-2010
tj
In Reply to S.V.Swamy on 16:55 Jan-11-2010 .

I agree with Swamy...... although electronic, digital, computed what have you is on the rise. Material properties, design and manufacture considerations will be higher priority for NDT tech. Until CPU's replace our brains/presence!

TJ

17:54 Mar-21-2012
KARTHIK
In Reply to tj on 02:30 Jan-13-2010 .

Dear Sir,
Iam planning to do UT course in NDT... Iam basically an Instrumentation Engineer, aftr finishing this course i even have an job opportunity, pls guide me do i have bright feature in this NDT field being an Instrumentation Enggineer.

19:03 Mar-21-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to KARTHIK on 17:54 Mar-21-2012 .

Dear Karthik,

If you got a job opportunity after the course, do consider doing the UT course. As I mentioned earlier, you would need to improve your knowledge of metallurgy, materials science, manufacturing technology etc. to make a successful career. Also consider doing courses in RT, AET (Acoustic Emission) and ET(Eddy Current Testing) in addition to UT. While working in the testing aspects, also try to improve the knowledge of instrument servicing, thus your usefulness to your employer would go up considerably. Future is bright if you work for it and equip yourself suitably. If required, I can guide you / coach you in metallurgy, materials science and manufacturing technology (recently I was involved in one such project where a small batch of graduate engineer trainees, most of them from electrical, electronics and communication and instrumentation branches were given about 25 hours of instruction in these areas).

Best wishes.

Swamy
Hyderabad

13:31 Dec-03-2012
Vijay
In Reply to S V Swamy on 19:03 Mar-21-2012 .

Hi My Name is Vijay , and i did my engineering in Electronics and Communciations, Am i eligible for doing NDT course. and how about the job offers for BE (ECE) with Ndt course. Can u pls give me the some training centers where i can do training and getting more info about the field and course.Pls suggest me .

12:29 Dec-06-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Vijay on 13:31 Dec-03-2012 .

dear Vijay,
As far as eligibility is concerned, even a 10th class pass is enough. Engineers need lesser number of months of experience compared to diploma holders and 10th class candidates.

As regards career prospects, discuss with the training institutes / placement agencies.

ISNT conducts training classes and certification exams at many centers in the country. There are of course many others in the private sector too.

swamy

14:34 Dec-10-2012
xyoung
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:29 Dec-06-2012 .

many thanks swammy for all your explanation
I am ECE by course studied and currently work in an NDT company specializing in Ultrasonic testing ie hull gauging
i love UT and MT because that is the area related to my course of study but my problem is that i feel i am not being utilized effectively..i do more of routine and non brain tasking jobs suck as thickness gauging using cygnus 4machine
Can you please suggest challenging areas of Ultrasonic testing and Magnetic particle testing so i can improve on my careers
thanks swam

02:07 Dec-11-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to xyoung on 14:34 Dec-10-2012 .

Dear Xyoung,

Thanks for the kind words. You have two options - change your job either within the same company or outside is the first option. Second option is to learn to love your present job! After all it is giving you your bread, butter or whatever that you eat to live....

Most of the regular NDT jobs are routine and thus become boring after some time. That is life. The only way to keep your brain engaged is to read and appreciate what others are doing in the field and utilize the knowledge when an occasion comes up.

10:13 Dec-11-2012
Nithiyanandan
In Reply to S V Swamy on 02:07 Dec-11-2012 .

Dear Sir,
Am a electronics engineer and I would like to change my career in to NDT.Last 7+ years i was in the Service industry as a Bio-medical Engineer, it was well and good.But am very much inters-ted in industry side, that's the reason am planing to do NDT.
Kindly suggest me.Nithiyanandan +91 8870683394

20:59 Dec-12-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Nithiyanandan on 10:13 Dec-11-2012 .

Dear Nithiyanandan,

What is the real reason for you to think of shifting from a field to another after 7 years? What exactly are your strengths and weaknesses? What are your aspirations? What do you really want to do? What are your dreams?

Try to go a little deeper within and try to answer / explore these questions.

Best wishes.

Swamy

19:46 Dec-20-2012
nithiyanandan
In Reply to S V Swamy on 20:59 Dec-12-2012 .

Dear Sir,
Sorry about the delayed reply.

Basically its a customer support job,and the growth rate is very slow.out of 10 engineers 1 will be getting a higher position.I frustated because of the work culture,thats the big reson i would like to change my carrier in to NDT .Kindly suggest and guide me to set my future in NDT industry.

23:18 Dec-20-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to nithiyanandan on 19:46 Dec-20-2012 .

The problems that you mentioned are common to many fields including NDT. Many careers / jobs are like a pyramid. Whether 1 out of 10 is selected or 9 out of 10 are selected, it is of no use to you unless you are selected.

You will be competing with engineers much younger to you and all your experience / seniority in the existing field will count for nothing. I think you will look back and feel sorry for the decision (sorry for being so negative).

Unless you have a passion for NDT and also decide to be self employed (your own boss), I would not advise you to switch. Best wishes.

14:00 Dec-21-2012

Gerald R. Reams

Engineering, ,
Industry,
USA,
Joined Aug 2012
In Reply to S V Swamy on 23:18 Dec-20-2012 .

I have spent 33 years, and counting, in the field of Nondestructive Testing. I absolutely love my chosen profession. I am a lifetime learner and the breadth and scope of Nondestructive Testing is so large that I do not believe anyone can learn everything about it and be up-to-date on the latest innovations and research.

I wish I had a background in electrical engineering. There is a great deal of research, enhancements, and new technologies being introduced and discussed. It is increasingly getting harder to keep up with developments.

For me personally, if I had an electrical engineering background with my current level of experience in Nondestructive Testing, I would be part of the R&D. That is where all the wonderful toys and discoveries are.

Gerald R. Reams
ASNT NDT Level III
ASQ-CQA, AWS-CWI

07:25 Dec-26-2012
Adib Ali

respected sir.

I am Adib Ali, as u said 10th pass studend can do this course so mi elegible for NDT. i have completed my 1st year (mechanical eng.) in diploma and currenty in 2nd year. so can u help me by guiding me. so that will help me in future.

12:37 Dec-26-2012

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Adib Ali on 07:25 Dec-26-2012 .

Dear Adib Ali,

Thanks but my advice is that you complete the diploma and then think of getting some NDT practical experience before thinking of certification.

18:54 Dec-28-2012
P Bharadwaj
In Reply to S V Swamy on 19:03 Mar-21-2012 .

hello sir ,
is it advisable to do NDT level 2 side by side while doing M.Sc Physics ?

15:21 Jan-01-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to P Bharadwaj on 18:54 Dec-28-2012 .

I am against all certifications that involve needless expense unless you are fairly sure of getting a job after all that trouble. If you are studying M.Sc(Physics), ask yourself the next step - Ph.D? Job? If job, teaching or something else? A level 2 certification makes sense only if you are going to get a job in the NDT field.

Best wishes and a happy new year to you and all the friends in the forum.

Swamy

03:10 Jan-02-2013

angel

Student,
Amarillo College,
USA,
Joined Sep 2010
In Reply to Adib Ali on 07:25 Dec-26-2012 .

R&D...? what is that mean?

13:05 Jan-02-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to angel on 03:10 Jan-02-2013 .

Dear Angel,

R&D means Research and Development.

18:30 Jan-02-2013

Tarik Haif
NDT Inspector, ,
Engineering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2011
In Reply to S V Swamy on 13:05 Jan-02-2013 .

Dear Swarmy,

Firstly Happy New Year.

I saw that you stated above that you were against paying for courses without being guaranteed a job, I am intending to book and pay for my PCN MPI Level 2 tomorrow, and will then save further too fund my UT Level 2 also, without the gurantee of work. However what other options are available too someone attempting to break into the NDT Industry, when jobs are unavailable to the non qualified?

Could you please give your opinion on this situation?

Kind Regards,

Tarik

20:38 Jan-02-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Tarik Haif on 18:30 Jan-02-2013 .

Dear Tarik,

Thanks for your new year wishes. I too wish you and all NDTians a very happy new year.

Coming to the question raised by you, I have given my personal perspective, which is not necessarily what is the best course of option for a given situation. May be if I share a little about myself, it becomes clear:

I passed my B.Sc(Special) with a decent 1st class way back in 1966. I applied for and got selected through a tough interview process for a Training Course in the Department of Atomic Energy (the ratio of selection was approximately 1 in 30 from among the eligible candidates, all of whom were first class graduates in science and engineering). I got a good stipend during the training program of 1 year.

I did not do as well as expected but was not too bad to be sent home during the training. I was selected and placed in a lower level post on the completion of my training. Still, it was a decent job compared to what I could have got in some other field.

I stayed with the Department till June 2008 (my retirement on attaining the age of 60). I improved my academic qualification while in service by passing AMIE (India) Section A and B examinations in Metallurgical Engineering - qualification recognized as equivalent to a degree in Engineering. That helped my career a little better in terms of getting me a few promotions.

I was sponsored for the ASNT Level III Examination in Basic, RT and UT in the year 2000 by my employer (who paid for all expenses including the refresher course and exam fee and my cost of travel outside my city etc.). I justified their confidence in me - passed the examination in my first attempt.

Thus I never paid for my training and my certification. Yes, I did incur some expense for my AMIE examination and one more professional qualification (MIQA Examination in Quality Assurance) but that was relatively small expense and I was already in service and knew that successful qualification as an engineer would help my career.

Thus my advice comes from my own personal perspective and may not be right for all. I know for example some graduate engineers who are paying substantial sums for their 1 year training and certification program for a career in Nuclear Engineering, but they do have a confirmed job offer letter in their hand and they do get a bank loan based on that letter and will be able to pay off the loan in about 3 to 5 years.

My advice to you is - follow your heart and my best wishes to you for a successful career.

21:31 Jan-02-2013

Tarik
NDT Inspector, ,
Engineering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2011
In Reply to S V Swamy on 20:38 Jan-02-2013 .

Hi Swamy,

Thanks for the reply, and advice. You have had a very distinguished and successful career, and I in no way mean to sound in anyway disrespectful to your thoughts or views but your situation is very different to the one in which I believe we find ourselves in (although we all differ from one another).

Personally I studied a non engineering related degree, but have since seen myself attracted to NDT and engineering, and will hopefully continue learning and study to a higher level of education whilst working on a career in NDT. I realise this is not the most conventional of approaches, but due to a change in career path it is one that I find myself in.

And after having received a few positive possibilities recently that have not come to fruition due to a perceived lack of experience and qualification, I dont feel as though there is very much alternative to personally funding the training.

Thanks again for the response

Regards,

Tarik

13:34 Jan-03-2013

Khukan

, ,
India,
Joined Jan 2013

zoom image[+]

Dear sir,
i have passed diploma in electronics and telecommunication engg. With 78% marks, In the last year. But yet i have not get any job. 2 days ago a trainning institute called me and told me about the course, ndt. But they charged around Rs40000 for 25 days trainning with 100% placement. So now i want to know about it. Whether it will be well suited for me. If so then what course i should take.

09:22 Feb-02-2013
SABARISH

i am final year aeronautical engg student. i like to go in NDT field am i eligible for that?

12:28 Feb-02-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to SABARISH on 09:22 Feb-02-2013 .

Dear Sabarish,

You are eligible like any other engineer to go into the field as a raw trainee and go through the Training and Certification process. It is definitely an option to be considered along with other choices.

Best wishes

Swamy

21:37 Mar-11-2013

Srimanta

Student, ,
IIT Kharagpur,
India,
Joined Mar 2013
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:28 Feb-02-2013 .

Respected Sir,
I am Srimanta and I have done M.Sc in Physics From University of Calcutta and now I am doing M.Tech in Solid State Technology from IIT Kharagpur and I am in my last semester.The purpose of doing M.Tech after M.Sc was to get a job. I am very much interested in the field of NDT.Please tell me whether it will be beneficial for me and will there be much scope for me in this field to have a good career.Also, I want to know that whether a degree in Welding will help a career in NDT.Your advice will help me a lot in my future.So, please advice me..

Regards,
Srimanta

21:48 Mar-11-2013

Nigel Armstrong

Engineering, - Specialist services,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 2000
In Reply to Srimanta on 21:37 Mar-11-2013 .

It seems a waste of educational resouces that people with degrees, masters and even Ph.D.'s will be competing for jons with people with much less education - i wonder why such qualified personnel are even considering going back to apprentice school to take part in the highly competitive (and not nighly paid) world of NDT.

06:45 Mar-12-2013

Gopi

, ,
India,
Joined Jun 2012

Hi, there is a course called M.tech in NDT in NIT, Trichy, Tamil Nadu, throughout South Aisa, this is the only college which M.Tech in NDT, being a student of it, i came to know the importance of NDT, students with Mechanical, Production and M.Sc Physics can apply to this course.....for further queries u can refer NIT, Trichy website.

1  1

09:39 Mar-12-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Gopi on 06:45 Mar-12-2013 .

Dear Gopi,

I hope the situation with respect to placements / career opportunities is better now compared to a few years ago, when the students were struggling to get suitable jobs.

There was a move to link the course with some certification programs too so that the students can get their level II certification in a few methods and improve their job prospects.

It will be good to get the correct position now from their students like you.

Swamy

04:51 Apr-02-2013
PEARL
In Reply to S V Swamy on 09:39 Mar-12-2013 .

Dear swamy,
I am doing alloy steel business. For business purpose I am in need of UT scan device. Can u pls suggest
Me a good instrument available. Should I need to get any certification to use the instrument. Guide me.

09:47 Apr-02-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to PEARL on 04:51 Apr-02-2013 .

Dear Gopi,

The type of instrument that you need depends on the application. There are many manufacturers. To use the instrument for your own purpose does not need any Certification but if you are trying to satisfy a customer you may need to engage a level 2. If you need more help in selecting the instrument etc. write to me separately.

Swamy

20:42 May-27-2013
Arul
In Reply to S V Swamy on 09:47 Apr-02-2013 .

Respected swamy sir

After NDT level II is there any possibility of higher studies in in engineering field ?
Like MS

03:01 May-28-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Arul on 20:42 May-27-2013 .

Dear Arul,

As of now, there is no approved connection between the level 2 or level 3 certification and academic degrees like BE or MS. If you are otherwise eligible for MS (have a 4 year degree in science or engineering) you can pursue MS in Engineering or Science with specialization in NDT. You can even go for a PhD. There are professionals with level 3 who are high school graduates and there are highly qualified (MS, PhD etc.) academics who will not be able to switch on a UT or X-ray machine let alone carry out a successful test...

NIIT Trichy was / is offering a M.Tech program in NDT and at least earlier they were also simultaneously arranging for the candidates to get certified to level 2 in a few methods so that they are better equipped to land a job in the field (I am talking of the situation a few years ago, I don't know what is the present status).

10:01 Jun-06-2013
karthik
In Reply to S V Swamy on 03:01 May-28-2013 .

dear swamy sir ,
i have completed my BE mechanical and ASNT - NDT- level 2 in (RT,UT,PT&MT) one month before , but still i din get any job . can you suggest me what can i study after this in the same NDT field which has better opportunity

12:06 Jun-06-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to karthik on 10:01 Jun-06-2013 .

Dear Karthik,

You were supposed to have a job offer / opportunity in hand before you took up the NDT Level II Certification. What happened to that offer?

I have no specific advice to you regarding improving your career prospects.

I hope you get some decent job soon.

Best wishes.

Swamy

21:52 Jun-24-2013
SUBHRADEEP DAS
In Reply to SABARISH on 09:22 Feb-02-2013 .

sir i am a fresh graduate instrumentation engineer .i want to know future scope in field of ndt .sir i also want to know about its certification...for doing jobs in which society wil be better asnt or isnt. what disadvantage advantage asnt does have?

12:33 Jul-08-2013
Michael lawrence
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:06 Jun-06-2013 .

I am BE (Mech) graduated and I am currently doing my ME.Welding technology, i dont have any relevent experince in ndt field.I am a fresher, What about the opportunity for me in ndt field? also i hold ASNT level 2 in RT,UT,MPT,PT,VT

07:59 Aug-04-2013
somnath
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:06 Jun-06-2013 .

Dear Swamy sir,
I am BE mechanical fresher with first class. i want to choose the NDT field for my career. can you suggest me way how i will make my career.

22:27 Aug-04-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to somnath on 07:59 Aug-04-2013 .

Dear Somnath,

If you have seen the whole thread of this particular topic, you know what advice you can get from me or other members of this forum.

Every field is good and every field is with its own risks. I have nothing more to add than what has already been discussed here earlier.

Best wishes.

06:30 Aug-05-2013
sabarish chemp
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:28 Feb-02-2013 .

swamy sir,
I finished my B.E Aeronautical engg in first class with 80% 2013 batch. Pls suggest some best institute to learn NDT. I know there are lot of institute to train us..but what i realy need is knowledge more than job placement. Once i get a basic knowledge i can able to survive so pls suggest me where can i get a best experience. Is there any examination conduct by goverment for trainee? Pls modify my career path.

15:18 Aug-05-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to sabarish chemp on 06:30 Aug-05-2013 .

Dear Sabarish,

I am really happy with your approach of putting knowledge first and job next. I would strongly recommend ISNT training courses, since to the best of my knowledge, they won't pass you unless you really do well in the exam.

There are many free sources for learning NDT. Write to me separately if you need more information and help.

Best wishes

Swamy
Hyderabad

08:53 Sep-01-2013

gopi

, ,
India,
Joined Jun 2012
In Reply to S V Swamy on 09:39 Mar-12-2013 .

sir, i heard that doing ndt jobs is like, either family life or job for money life, also for persons like us, i mean Indians and all with M.tech or B.tech qualification can we expect any jobs in Europe, US or Australia type countries, also at present i am working in a consultancy company (third party) which mainly works on pipelines and pressure vessels, can we get these type jobs over the specified countries, can u please help, Thank u

16:27 Sep-01-2013

s v swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to gopi on 08:53 Sep-01-2013 .

I have no idea and can't help you or other job seekers.

09:27 Sep-08-2013

Ghanta Siva Rajesh
Engineering, ,
ADNOC,
Singapore,
Joined Oct 2011
In Reply to gopi on 08:53 Sep-01-2013 .

Gopi

In response to your question regarding jobs in US, Europe, and Australia

Since these county’s having immigration policies
They are basically limited by having visas to work there rather than your qualifications or skills

You can get jobs in Australia or Canada by getting PR along with your technical expertise

European counties are quite limited to open for foreign talent, but Norway and Netherlands are opened compared to others

Other counties including Singapore, Malaysia etc. are also open for foreign talent

In fact Middle East countries are running their show mostly by foreign talent so there are plenty of chances and in fact these country’s needs to hire foreigners (NO choice)
So employer is offering visas, where as other developed countries offer jobs to mostly citizens and Permanent residents.

It is not that difficult as we think or heard in India, these countries are good except Saudi Arabia

All you need to do is get certificates, have a good CV apply as many as jobs possible

15:55 Sep-14-2013
raj
In Reply to Gopi on 06:45 Mar-12-2013 .

i've finished my b tech mechanical and now i am doin m tech ndt at nit trichy. What is the salary i can expect after placements?

06:23 Oct-03-2013
Miss. Satyajita Joshi

Respected Sir,

I m satyajita . I have done diploma & degree both. I have done NDT Level -II in PT,MT,RT,UT. I have worked for various field like from design,purchase,quality, fabrication. But now i want to know the prospect about my career because being female candidate m getting rejected though i have clear the interviews. I want to do AWS also but being the female candidate ,uncertain about the absorption in the industry. So kindly suggest me any industry in India or in abroad, so that i can work in my favorite field.

09:55 Oct-07-2013
shaik shafi
In Reply to S V Swamy on 15:18 Aug-05-2013 .

respectyed sir,
this is shaik shafi,iam about to do a NDT level2 certification course and i have a job job oppurtunity as a quality assurance engineer....for that i have to undergo NDT programme....am i doing a right thing and what is the future scope for my position?

19:11 Oct-07-2013

somnath

India,
Joined Aug 2013
In Reply to shaik shafi on 09:55 Oct-07-2013 .

contact me. if you want to do ndt courses.
somnath.andhale@rediffmail.com

12:46 Oct-17-2013

Mubeer mkm

Engineering, ,
India,
Joined Oct 2013
In Reply to s v swamy on 16:27 Sep-01-2013 .

Respected sir,

Warm greetings and would like to say that it's a noble thing that you are doing here, helping fellow professionals in their quest for a livelyhood.

I'm a graduate in Mechanial Engineering and have 2 years experience in the Piping Industry in O&G. I've been offered a job in a Welding Inspection firm and have been instructed to get a ASNT Level II certificate or CSWIP.

I need to know about the heirarchy of certification exams, namely ASNT Level II, III, CSWIP 3.1/3.2, AWS CWI and those sorts.
Am I required to attain ASNT Level II before I can try for CSWIP? And where does AWS CWI come in this picture.

I want to get a broad picture of this career path before I commit to this cause. I hope you can help me.

Thanks and Regards.

07:16 Nov-10-2013
SYED
In Reply to S V Swamy on 15:18 Aug-05-2013 .

Dear Swamy,

I am working as Mechanical engineer in UAE in reputed construction company for past 2 years,having completed my BE in mechanical...recently I heard that NDT has good future through my friend in Saudi Arabia. Especially,NDT LEVEL 3 has good value...can i directly join classes of NDT level 3 , without level 2 completion ,,,Is teh eligibility okay to join???pls advice me ....

THANKS
SYED

14:09 Nov-10-2013

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to SYED on 07:16 Nov-10-2013 .

Replied to you separately. The short answer for your sake and for the sake of similarly placed people is NO - Not advisable....

Swamy

04:41 Nov-14-2013
Akhil
In Reply to Prakash Krishna on 05:04 Dec-26-2009 .

Hi Prakash,
I have completed my N.E in EEE and currently working in REC. But the job is some what office management level it won't cover the technical aspects. I think that by doing NDT i can shift my career to electrical NDT. What's your opinion.

08:53 Dec-06-2013
Ankit Kanodia
In Reply to Akhil on 04:41 Nov-14-2013 .

Hey,

Anyone looking for a job in NDT field may contact me on ankit.kanodia17@gmail.com.

I recently graduated as a Mechanical Engineer along with my brother who graduated as an ECE engineer. We have started a German based NDT company in India with manufacturing in Hyderabad, A.P. We are manufacturing the highest comparable quality in India and our products are all premium range. We are looking for people with experience in NDT field to join us as distributors/sales executives/ production team, etc.

Also, we have an aerosol filling facility which we our ready to use for job works of other aerosol companies which is also worth an opportunity for business development. Kindly contact me incase you are looking for specific opportunities as mentioned above with your CV/Resume.

Swamy Sir, we would love to contact you for your guidance in this field. Please drop me an email as to how I may contact you.

Wishing everyone, all the very best

Warm Regards,
Ankit Kanodia

17:21 Jan-03-2014

Unnikrishnan

Engineering, ,
India,
Joined Nov 2013

dear sir,
I had completed post diploma in Tool&Die making and from last 3.5years i am working in Quality engg deptt as an senior engg in a automobile company.I wish to change my field to offshore NDT QA/QC.i wish to study ASNT-NDT from navy mumbai.please guide me is there better future after NDT studying? just i am worrying on my future because nobody i knew they are in offshore feild..please reply

12:24 Jan-04-2014

ronakshah
Other, ,
India,
Joined Jan 2014
In Reply to S V Swamy on 14:09 Nov-10-2013 .

Dear sir

My self is Ronak shah i had completed my BE in metallurgy and materials ,i have working experience in rolling mill in abroad,now i want some extra qualifications so my H.O.D consent me to do NDT level 2,But i don't know which standers should be good for further like either i should go for EN 473 or SNT-TC-1A,
or can you recommend me some welding courses which can i completed as per myy experience background?

14:57 Jan-04-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to ronakshah on 12:24 Jan-04-2014 .

Dear Ronak Shah,

Are you now in a teaching position? In any case, I would suggest that you mail me separately - svswamy@gmail.com - I need to know more about you before I can offer you any advice.

Regards

Swamy

20:50 Jan-12-2014
santosh daund
In Reply to S V Swamy on 14:57 Jan-04-2014 .

carrier in NDT.
sir i m santosh from india,i m fresh B.tech metallurgy and materials science Graduate of 2013 batch. what should i do to start a carrier in ndt ??
n how should i proceed with the courses ??
means which courses i should do first n later ?

23:22 Jan-12-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to santosh daund on 20:50 Jan-12-2014 .

Dear Santosh,

Where are you now? In which city? If you mail me that information, I may be able to suggest some specific advice, that may help you. Alternatively, if you are willing to do courses in Hyderabad, I will have some suggestions. Pl. note that I am not connected with any of the institutes in a commercial capacity.

Best wishes

Swamy

15:10 Feb-05-2014
faiz makhdoomi
In Reply to Gerald R. Reams on 14:00 Dec-21-2012 .

Respected sir,
I have completed my engineering in electrical engineering and want to do the NDT certification course. Is it useful for me as a electrical engineer and what is it future prospects???

16:52 Feb-09-2014
Raj

Dear Sir,

I m belonging B.E.Mechanical Student & having 2yrs Exp in Quality Inspector. Now I am willing to lead my career in Testing or Welding field. I am eager to do NDT or CSWIP course. Kindly guide me whether which course i want to do , to get valuable placement. also Good training institute & fee etc.. Kindly suggest me, to improve my career.

22:14 Feb-09-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to faiz makhdoomi on 15:10 Feb-05-2014 .

Dear Faiz,

There is no reason why an electrical engineer can't do well in NDT, considering that 10th class pass is the minimum qualification prescribed for an entry into the certification process. However, my question is why not try in the electrical engineering field, for which you have spent 4 years after intermediate (10+2) and your parents have spent substantial money?

Best wishes.

22:18 Feb-09-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Raj on 16:52 Feb-09-2014 .

In my own case, my career encompassed all the areas of quality - testing, both destructive and non-destructive, shop floor inspection, documentation, SQC etc. - I did not choose my career but took it as it comes. I asked for a change in my job content only once in my career and though I don't regret it, it did not work out as expected. So, may be I am not the right guy to advise you.

Best wishes.

10:04 Apr-23-2014
yash rana
In Reply to S V Swamy on 22:18 Feb-09-2014 .

respected sir,
i want to state that i am in pursuing mechanical engg. currently i am in 4th sem and i we are having a six week training. i want to do the ASNT Level 2 UT course from JIECO ndt and welding institute. i request you to guide me whether i am doing right or not and also guide about the status of this institute

18:10 Apr-23-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to yash rana on 10:04 Apr-23-2014 .

I have no idea of that institute. So, I can't advise you.

Doing any such course is meaningful only if you have no other avenues and want to make NDT your career. Also, if I were in your place, I would choose such an institute that woud get me a job, before I spend money...

Best wishes

Swamy

21:14 May-07-2014
Yash rana
In Reply to S V Swamy on 18:10 Apr-23-2014 .

respected sir,
a heartiest thanks for your suggestion sir . i want to make ndt my career because i think that this field has a very large scope with lucrative salary packages ,though i have other avenues like going in production and design fields, regarding placement sir i want to state that i will be pursuing this course of UT level 2 as my six week training i just need a experience, knowledge and a certificate of six week training.So for me as per now placement does not matter ,but i want to know that after b.tech would this course be beneficial for providing placement?

04:25 May-08-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to Yash rana on 21:14 May-07-2014 .

If I were an employer, I would not give too much value for your Certificate in NDT, knowing that you have no practical experience. If I am going to recruit you as a trainee, I would look more at your academic qualification (B.Tech scores) and your general aptitude, communication skills etc.

I could be wrong because I am old-fashioned and could be out of touch with the present job scenario.

In my view, such certification will make sense only in two situations - either you are already employed in the field with the needed experience, in which case the certificate is a certification of your competence, or the second scenario of you being a fresher and are being groomed for a career in NDT and the certificate certifies your theoretical knowledge and minimal practical skills so that you could be taken on as a trainee.

The certificate issued by a training institute that has the faculty and the examiner as one or the certificate issued by a training institute that has near 100 percent pass will be viewed with scepticism -again my own personal, biased view, and probably out of sync with the present day ground realities, esp. in India.

Best wishes.

Swamy
Hyderabad, India

16:39 May-08-2014
sooraj
In Reply to S V Swamy on 04:25 May-08-2014 .

sir my name is sooraj , i have completed 3 year diploma (mechanical)
I would like to know more about career oppotunities in NDT in future.

02:42 May-09-2014

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III,
Self employed,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
In Reply to Yash rana on 21:14 May-07-2014 .

Every geographic region is different, but in the central USA I am still working multiple part-time jobs in NDT because of the extreme shortage of well-qualified people in the field. I am trying to train my replacements and make it clear to my employers that at age 73 I am not a long-term solution. In this country too many people want to work in air-conditioned offices and stay clean and neat all day. As far as combining electrical engineering with NDT it does not seem to be an ideal fit, but could be useful in some types of NDT jobs. I started work as a metallurgical engineer, and experience with welding, forging, casting and the associated problems has fit very well with NDT. But I have had co-workers whose electrical engineering background was very helpful in specifying and maintaining ultrasonic scanning systems, x-ray CT systems and such, so I could have fun with them. It is really the fun part that keeps me working.

06:49 May-09-2014

S V Swamy
India,
Joined Feb 2001
In Reply to sooraj on 16:39 May-08-2014 .

Sooraj,

A diploma engineer is preferred for many NDT jobs at the supervisor level (and can be promoted to engineer level after a few years of experience). So, if you are interested in this field, go ahead and best of luck. Try to improve your metallurgical / materials science knowledge and try to gain a higher academic qualification like AMIE or AMIIM (Indian Institute of Metals).

Best wishes

Swamy

19:34 May-09-2014
vivek
In Reply to S V Swamy on 06:49 May-09-2014 .

sir my name is vivek im from kerala .my qualification is plus two (science) . i want to join ndt courses is there any problem to study ndt course for a plus two student. if i complete ndt course can i get a good jobs in ndt field @gulf. sir pls give me your valuable advices .
i waiting for u r replys

03:00 May-11-2014

Ghanta Siva rajesh
Engineering, ,
ADNOC,
Singapore,
Joined Oct 2011
In Reply to John Brunk on 02:42 May-09-2014 .

Dear John Brunk

Firstly thanks for your inputs which give me a hope to migrate to USA
I am NDT Level III, and API 510, 570, 653 with AWS CWI and CSWIP 3.1

There are chances which came in to my way to migrate to USA, but I thought there are many people with same kind of qualifications so, i decided not to go. But after reading your post, i got little hope again. So can you please tell me is it good to move to UAS with the above qualification and 10 experience with MSC in mechanical engineering
Also advice me how much salary i can expect

15:23 May-11-2014
Vignesh

HI sir.I am vignesh from coimbatore.i have completed B.E MECH.Interested to do NDT courses.Can i knw the scope of NDT in India .I have a good CGPA in engineering. What about thr scope of NDT n business perspective sir

18:42 Oct-11-2014
Rajareddy
In Reply to S V Swamy on 12:37 Dec-26-2012 .

Sir,I completed bsc .now i want to do Aws-CWI .I want to do job in Canada where my brother in law is doing job there.could I eligible for doing aws- cwi in india?

16:41 Oct-16-2014

Ghanta Siva Rajesh
Engineering, ,
ADNOC,
Singapore,
Joined Oct 2011
In Reply to Rajareddy on 18:42 Oct-11-2014 .

yes Raja reddy

you can appear in India and it is valid internationally

Your Email Address: You will receive an email when a new message of this topic appears

© NDT.net   |Advertise|   |Contact|   |About Us