NDTnet - July 1999, Vol.4 No.7
Industrial application of Computerized TomographyN. Schuhmann, Stuttgart, DH. Okruch, Gunskirchen, A
FULL-TEXT - ABSTRACT
(Introduction) In many enterprises measuring and quality checking tasks occur, which presently cannot be solved or can only be solved with difficult conventional measuring procedures. On account of this:
- the derivative of geometry data for complex shapes and therewith connected
- the inspection of complex shapes (comparison of physical model and CAD-model).
In 1998 the Anwenderverbund Volumenabtasten (user network volume scanning) was created by the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation in Stuttgart, for the handling of such questions. Other companies involved in this are BMW, Bosch, Daimler-Benz-Aerospace, Porsche, Bombardier-Rotax and Stihl.
In particular the following tasks should be processed with Bombardier-Rotax in Gunskirchen, Austria:
- derivative of geometry data of a cylinder head for current simulations in the water channels.
- inspection of a motorcycle cylinder.
(Summary and result) With the application of CT, new process chains for measuring and test functions of complex components could be established. The CT compared with conventional measuring procedures, offers the following advantages:
- During the digitizing only small interactions are necessary.
- Contrary to surface-oriented measuring procedures, with CT internal structures of complex components are completely entered.
- From the 2D image slices, triangulated point clouds can be reconstructed in substantially short operating time .
- Due to the reconstruction on the basis of 2D image slices, CT can also solve complex tasks like the determination of internal cavities (water channels).
At present further industrial application of the CT are being examined by the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation in Stuttgart, as well as the companies involved to the Anwenderverbund Volumenabtasten are supported during the testing, evaluation and introduction of new technologies and process chains.
Publication Source: International Symposium on Computerized Tomography for Industrial Applications and Image Processing in Radiology March, 15 - 17, 1999 Berlin, Germany. Proceedings BB 67-CD.
Publisher: DGZfP - German Society of Non-Destructive Testing