where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.
Technical Discussions
Ajit
Engineering, Inspector
V.J.T.I., India, Joined Feb 2009, 8

Ajit

Engineering, Inspector
V.J.T.I.,
India,
Joined Feb 2009
08:58 Feb-24-2009
Paint thk.

Sir,
Once, I was measuring paint DFT for CS storage tank ( 2 coat epoxy). As I was not having paint specification , it was difficult to do the inspection. What should b the acceptance citeria i.e. min. DFT for painting if no specification ?
Regds

Roger Duwe
Roger Duwe
13:51 Feb-24-2009
Re: Paint thk.
In Reply to Ajit at 08:58 Feb-24-2009 (Opening).

A typical 'generic' paint spec is .004" 'anchor profile' [sand blast depth], 1 - 2 mils [.001" - .002"] of primer, 2 - 4 mils for each layer of topcoat. Thus a 2-coat epoxy system should be 3 mils, minimum.

If this wasn't written into the contract, specification, or on the drawing, it will be impossible to enforce.

Oscar D
NDT Inspector, engineering and consulting
Global CSIS, Ireland, Joined Feb 2009, 1

Oscar D

NDT Inspector, engineering and consulting
Global CSIS,
Ireland,
Joined Feb 2009
14:55 Feb-25-2009
Re: Paint thk.
In Reply to Roger Duwe at 13:51 Feb-24-2009 .

Ajit,

Although Roger is right in saying that you can't enforce anything without a specification, the figures he gave you for anchor profile and coating thickness are incorrect.
Anchor profile of .004" (100 microns) seems very high unless high build solvent free epoxies or GF vinyl esters are applied. 50-75 microns Rz would be a more typical anchor profile for thin film epoxy systems.
For 2 coats of epoxy inside a storage tank, I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 10 mils (250 microns) of film thickness. Although it can vary quite a bit per depending on the coating product and the preference of the different coating manufacturers, 2 coat epoxy systems for immersion are usually specified at 150 - 300 microns per coat.

Your best bet is to ask the coating manufacturer for guidance.

Product Spotlight

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window