where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.
Career Discussions
Al68
Al68
04:31 Apr-13-2010
RT Company or back to tech school?

I have been carrying out radiography in Canada since 2005 and am considering either staring my own company or going back to school for further education in the NDT field. The program length is 2 years and I will come out with the training to challenge my UT2 LPI2 ET2 as I already have my RT2 and MT2. My question is should I take the 2 years and get these tickets or should I rig up a truck and start making the big money???

Thanks for the help.

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
13:03 Apr-13-2010
Re: RT Company or back to tech school?
In Reply to Al68 at 04:31 Apr-13-2010 (Opening).

Difficult to answer this question but I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth.

Think about what you want to do; do you want to work singly as a freelancer - then you'll probably need to have as many qualificiations as possible to cover all eventualities, or do you intend employing personnel - they should then be qualified to do the work so it's not so important if you have the quals.

Technical qualifications and knowhow are not a guarantee for success in business. Business savvy and dogged determination are probably more important than qualifications but all depends on what you want to do. I don't know the Canadian market but here in Europe any company wanting to supply services to refineries, power plants etc. has to have safety and qm qualifications before they are even allowed to bid. There is also a plethera of problems associated with licenses for radioactive sources.

In any case lots of luck, I hope I haven't been too negative!

Fred Raco, Jr.
Consultant,
RNDT, Inc., USA, Joined Jul 2002, 24

Fred Raco, Jr.

Consultant,
RNDT, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
14:19 Apr-13-2010

Please don't underestimate what it takes to get started. It is almost impossible to do it on your own. Me and two others started an NDT lab 8 years ago. We had to borrow enough $$ not only to get started but working capitol to survive on until things got rolling. Also, we all had over 18 years in the field of NDT and were all Level IIIs. We were all in our late 30s when we started. The "big money" didn't happen until we were in business for three or four years. I'm not sure of your age or what you consider big money but I would take the education first, get started on a business plan (ours took 2 years to develop), make sure you cover every possible aspect of the business in your plan, find someone with similar interests and then go for it. We have over 20 people employed here now and business is good. Best wishes to you and your future. Please keep in mind....if it were easy, everyone would do it! Fred Raco, Jr. - President - RNDT, Inc.

Dent
Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 250

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
15:05 Apr-13-2010

I do not want to discourage you but it would likely take you 2 years to get a licence from CNSC to allow you to buy a source. They do not make it easy these days for a small company to get into the RT business.

The trend seems to be going toward UT these days. Fewer safety issues, PA and TOFD, and automated systems are making big headway.

Another factor to consider is when you get out of school and challenge the CGSB exams (and pass) you are still not certified. You still need to gather the required experience in each of the methods.

Hope this helps with your decision

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window