where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Carlos Correia
R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP, Venezuela, Joined Oct 2008, 120

Carlos Correia

R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP,
Venezuela,
Joined Oct 2008
14:03 Jun-17-2010
UT CREEPING WAVE IN LOW THICKNESS PIPING

Hello NDT brothers.
Which is the minimum thickness to perform a reliable creeping wave method inspection?
I need to evaluate ID connected cracks in Cr-Mo steel piping weld joints in a range from 7 to 10 mm.
I have used Creeping Wave before but not in this range.
Comments are deeply appreciated.

Luis Ganhao
Engineering,
USA, Joined Sep 2008, 25

Luis Ganhao

Engineering,
USA,
Joined Sep 2008
17:04 Jun-17-2010
Re: UT CREEPING WAVE IN LOW THICKNESS PIPING
In Reply to Carlos Correia at 14:03 Jun-17-2010 (Opening).

Carlos,

You can use creeping wave in that range of thickness, however you need a probe of 5Mhz and small size as well as a reference/calibration block which allow you to establish the properly range of inspection. I did this before in the same range and I could detect and estimate the size of some cracks. If you more questions please call me at +14036921037

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1307

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
23:13 Jun-17-2010
Re: UT CREEPING WAVE IN LOW THICKNESS PIPING
In Reply to Carlos Correia at 14:03 Jun-17-2010 (Opening).

zoom image

Carlos-7mm-30-70-70

zoom image

Carlos-7mm-70SW

Carlos; it may be possible to use the same principles as for thick wall but there will be problems to deal with. I did a quick CIVA model to illustrate. I used a 4MHz 8x9 element on a refracting wedge that provides 70° L mode in steel. You can see the 3 characteristic signals on the B-scan but the echo-dynmaic curve indicates that the one identified by some as the "creeping wave" occurs when the probe is almost directly over the flaw. This is the corner reflection from the bulk shear mode. Unless you remove the weld caps this will limit the usefulness of the 30-70-70 for sizing and detection.
A standard 70° transverse mode may provide an option if the tip of any surface-breaking flaws can be seen arriving earlier than the root geometry. I used the 8x9mm element again for the transverse wave probe but the element size could be made smaller to provide a smaller wedge so you can approach the weld cap closer with the exit point. For the transverse wave approach, the root geometry may provide a large signal that could make resolution of the corner and tip signals as separate from the root geometry difficult. But monitoring the region in time just prior to the root-geometry signal may be easier than trying to sort through the signals in the 30-70-70 probe.

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window