where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Paul
NDT Inspector
NDT Services, United Kingdom, Joined Dec 2009, 6

Paul

NDT Inspector
NDT Services,
United Kingdom,
Joined Dec 2009
11:28 Sep-23-2010
weld profile inspection

Does anyone know where I can buy a clipped disk for checking the weld profles of TKY joints. I have searched the net but cant find any.

jj
jj
19:39 Sep-23-2010
Re: weld profile inspection
In Reply to Paul at 11:28 Sep-23-2010 (Opening).

Paul

dont know what you mean by "clipped disk".

If you want to produce a beam plotting diagram on paper for TKY joints, use solder wire as it can be quite easilym manipulated to reproduce the form of the scanning profile ready for transfer to the paper. With some extra info (thickness, weld prep) you should be able to produce a reasonable approximation of your weld's cross-sectional profile for signal location purposes.

dp_paul_dp
NDT Inspector
NDT Services, United Kingdom, Joined Dec 2009, 6

dp_paul_dp

NDT Inspector
NDT Services,
United Kingdom,
Joined Dec 2009
11:00 Sep-24-2010
In Reply to jj at 19:39 Sep-23-2010 .

Hi JJ,
Thanks for your reply. The item I'm after is a 20 mm dia disc with the bottom section (7mm) cut off. there is a drawing showing one in EEMUA 158 fig 5. they look quite easy to make but I would prefer to buy one then the client cant complaine about home made inspection equipment

jj
jj
13:27 Sep-24-2010
In Reply to dp_paul_dp at 11:00 Sep-24-2010 .

EEMUA 158 6.1. Fabrication tolerances - General. "The Contractor shall provide...equipment and instruments necessary...to control dimensions and tolerances."

Though quoting sections about responsibilities never worked for me before!

Have you tried weld and NDT equipment suppliers taken out of BINDT year book or other reference sources?

Justin Lehmann
Consultant,
Quality Testing Services, Inc, A Premium Inspection and Testing Group Affiliate, USA, Joined Sep 2007, 22

Justin Lehmann

Consultant,
Quality Testing Services, Inc, A Premium Inspection and Testing Group Affiliate,
USA,
Joined Sep 2007
16:05 Sep-24-2010
In Reply to Paul at 11:28 Sep-23-2010 (Opening).

Paul,

I am not familiar with the "clipped disk" or the cited EEMUA 158 but we use a "sliding pin contour gage" for plotting out indications in UT and measurement of profile dimensions. I have attached a picture. They are available online from a number of sources. Not sure what you are trying to achieve but I hope this helps.

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window