where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Nguyen Trong My
Director,
Vietnam Inspection Solutions Co., Ltd, Vietnam, Joined May 2000, 22

Nguyen Trong My

Director,
Vietnam Inspection Solutions Co., Ltd,
Vietnam,
Joined May 2000
11:29 Feb-14-2011
Reference block for pipe longitudinal weld seam inspection with phased array UT

Dear All, I would appreciate if anyone advice which code and/or standard specify the requirements for reference block for pipe longitudinal weld seam inspection using phased array UT
Thank you
Nguyen Trong My

sadek997
NDT Inspector,
AR, Poland, Joined Feb 2011, 12

sadek997

NDT Inspector,
AR,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2011
20:39 Feb-14-2011
Re: Reference block for pipe longitudinal weld seam inspection with phased array UT
In Reply to Nguyen Trong My at 11:29 Feb-14-2011 (Opening).

European standards don't indicate any rules for reference blocks for phased array method. Actually the type of the reference block depends on what kind of flaws you wish to detect. If the diameter is large enough (EN 583-2 requirements for probe dimensions) and the thickness is equal/more than 8mm you can utilize reflectors used in standard manual UT such as 3mm diameter side drilled holes (used for DAC method). The only case is that you have to create DAC curves for angle beams that you use in the further examination i.e. 45 60, 70 [deg]. If you do it this way you will meet the reqiurements of the EN 583-2 and EN 1714 about the number of angles and you can replace the old manual UT with the phased array

All depends on the potential of your defectoscope (u may have a software that can provide DGS curves) and the application. If you seek for a particular type of flaw/imperfection it's better to use a reference block and reflectors simmilar to the expected defect. I'm not going to give you exact directions for the test block because it requires lots of calculations and the reference piece needs to fulfil the reqiurements of EN 583-2 (apendixes)
I hope that I helped a bit

Product Spotlight

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window