where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
rele Spain
rele Spain
19:30 Apr-05-2011
UT device calibration

Hello,

I am not so familiarized in UT inspection. Do anybody know how is the method to calibrate or verify the UT method. I suppose that it has to be carried out by an external company. Can someone verify this?
I would like to know how often I have to calibrate the machine...which ISO or EN I can follow to be more familiar with this topic?

sadek997
NDT Inspector,
AR, Poland, Joined Feb 2011, 12

sadek997

NDT Inspector,
AR,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2011
19:53 Apr-05-2011
Re: UT device calibration
In Reply to rele Spain at 19:30 Apr-05-2011 (Opening).

look for EN 12668-3 Non-destructive testing. Characterization and verification of ultrasonic examination equipment. Combined equipment.

All relevant information about characterization and verification of Your equipment is described in ths standard. Methods of setting the sensivity levels and range of the eqoipment can be found in: EN 583-2 Sensivity and range setting

Regards

rele spain
rele spain
21:32 Apr-05-2011
In Reply to sadek997 at 19:53 Apr-05-2011 .

as far as i understand the section 3 of that standard is to self-calibration, isn't it?
therei is not need of any other calibration by a external company required in other kind of standard?

sadek997
NDT Inspector,
AR, Poland, Joined Feb 2011, 12

sadek997

NDT Inspector,
AR,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2011
22:05 Apr-05-2011
In Reply to rele spain at 21:32 Apr-05-2011 .

An external 3rd party dosn't have to check if your device is calibrated properly. The only sitiuation in which a 3rd party (company) is needed is a recheck of Your UT examination but ther's no such requirement in any standard as far as I'm concerned (it's usually the client who asks for an additional test - the test concerns the object not your aparatus)

rele spain
rele spain
12:38 Apr-06-2011
In Reply to sadek997 at 22:05 Apr-05-2011 .

and is needed the calibration of the blocks by an external company? or can i do it myself?

Habib
Habib
12:42 Apr-06-2011
In Reply to rele spain at 12:38 Apr-06-2011 .

Hi

Based on British standard,

1.EN 12668-1 group 1: tests to be performed by the manufacturer (or his agent) on a representative sample of the ultrasonic instruments produced. A high level of electronic measuring equipment is required for these tests;

2.EN 12668-1 group 2: tests to be performed on every ultrasonic instrument:
1) By the manufacturer, or his agent, prior to the supply of the ultrasonic instrument
2) By the manufacturer, the owner, or a laboratory, at twelve months intervals to verify the performance of the ultrasonic instrument during its lifetime;
Only basic electronic measurement equipment is required for the tests in group 2.

EN 12668-3: A third group of tests for the complete system (ultrasonic instrument and probe combined) are given in this standard. During their lifetime these are performed at regular intervals on site.

flavio vendramin
NDT Inspector,
TAG s.r.l. Cremella ( Lecco ), Italy, Joined Apr 2010, 42

flavio vendramin

NDT Inspector,
TAG s.r.l. Cremella ( Lecco ),
Italy,
Joined Apr 2010
14:44 Apr-06-2011

Hello:
For Ultrasonic instrument calibration I use: ASTM E-317.
Standard Practice for "Evaluating Performance Characteristics of Ultrasonic Pulse-
Echo Testing Instruments and Systems without the Use of Electronic Measurement Instruments", and ASTM E - 1065 for "Evaluating Characteristics of Ultrasonic Search Units".

Ciao
F.

Carlos Correia
R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP, Venezuela, Joined Oct 2008, 120

Carlos Correia

R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP,
Venezuela,
Joined Oct 2008
17:46 Apr-06-2011
In Reply to flavio vendramin at 14:44 Apr-06-2011 .

Hello, follow the link:

http://www.ndt.net/forum/thread.php?admin=&forenID=1&msgID=36381&rootID=36381#36381

OGMA
OGMA
11:29 Apr-28-2011
In Reply to flavio vendramin at 14:44 Apr-06-2011 .

Hello Flavio,

Please can you inform me where are you send the ultrasonic test set to perform de calibration according ASTM E 317.

Thanks

flavio vendramin
NDT Inspector,

flavio vendramin

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined Apr 2010
14:42 Apr-28-2011
In Reply to OGMA at 11:29 Apr-28-2011 .

Hello:
with ASTM E-317 I can to evaluate periodically and manually the characteristic of ultrasonic pulse-echo system, but this practice is not intend to be used as a substitute for calibration of an instrument.
Electronic characteristic of an instrument may be measured as descrbed in ASTM E-1324

For periodic instrument calibration I send the instrument in a certificated laboratory.

OGMA
OGMA
14:59 Apr-28-2011
In Reply to flavio vendramin at 14:42 Apr-28-2011 .

HELLO

Where is it?

flavio vendramin
NDT Inspector,

flavio vendramin

NDT Inspector,
Italy,
Joined Apr 2010
15:47 Apr-28-2011
In Reply to OGMA at 14:59 Apr-28-2011 .

For Krautkramer instrument one of possible is :
Max Meister Morgental 8126 CH Switzerland.
but there are a lot of certified laboratory in Europe or in other countries.

bye

LALIT MOHAN KOTHARI
Consultant, -
On ..IOCL and BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre).etc, India, Joined Jan 2003, 128

LALIT MOHAN KOTHARI

Consultant, -
On ..IOCL and BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre).etc,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
18:01 Apr-28-2011

Rele Spain,
You can basically calibrate your instrument by any code or method i.e. sec –V is there .but now so many parameter are extra added and nothing is in any code about added software so it is better to all to calibrate your instrument thru manufacturer then lab .As for my point of view lab only can provides you only basic which is as per code . So if you want complete satisfaction then go for manufacturer service centre for calibration .
Other WISE YOU CAN DO YOURSELF ALSO TIME TO TIME .

Thanks & Regard

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window