where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ZETEC, Inc.
Zetec is a global leader in nondestructive testing (NDT) solutions for the critical inspection needs of industries the world counts on every day, ...
Career Discussions
themisp
themisp
14:04 May-10-2011
NDT distance learning

Hello!!!
I am about to start study a course of NDT in distance learning from the University of Northampton. I just want to ask you what is your opinion about this course and if someone had already completed the course or just started or is still studying.
Any help and opinion is more than welcome. Thanks!!!

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
17:00 May-10-2011
Re: NDT distance learning
In Reply to themisp at 14:04 May-10-2011 (Opening).

Hi there, I am also doing this course. It's not easy in the slightest. It's very time consuming (luckily I am on 28/28 rotation, which gives me time).

I have completed all modules bar UT, ET, Quality in NDT & Quality Techniques in the FdSc, to be honest I will be glad when its over and not entirely sure whether I will carry it forward to the BSc.

One piece of advice, submit your assignments on time!!!!

Ben
Ben
11:54 May-11-2011
In Reply to Steve Doc at 17:00 May-10-2011 .

Hi

Steve, can I have details of the cost involve, I'm very interested in the program, and I can budget well for that. Thanks very much!

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
14:10 May-11-2011
In Reply to Ben at 11:54 May-11-2011 .

Hi Ben,
Its is different for UK residents that it is for Non UK residents. I am UK resident and its around 1300 UK Pounds per year.

Hope that helps.

anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
16:24 May-11-2011
In Reply to Steve Doc at 14:10 May-11-2011 .

obvious problem with this is do they useable ndt certificates?

although for career advancement / pursuit of knowledge this looks like a great time filler for any inspector.

good luck.

Jeffrey Tay
NDT Inspector, PT ET UT Level II, MT Level III
Singapore, Joined Oct 2010, 43

Jeffrey Tay

Singapore,
Joined Oct 2010
17:34 May-12-2011

Hi,

If you are looking at getting a job in the NDT field, I will recommend you to go through PCN certification instead since you are living in UK. Having a degree in NDT doesn't enable you to work in the NDT field, ultimately you will still require a Level 2 to start it off. A degree in NDT is only your academic qualifications whereas a level 2 or level 3 certification is your trade qualification.
Do not get me wrong, a degree will be important if you are thinking of advancing in your career but in order to start a career in the NDT field, taking your trade certification is a better option.
Just my personnal thoughts. Good Luck!

themisp
themisp
21:01 May-12-2011
In Reply to Jeffrey Tay at 17:34 May-12-2011 .

thank you very much for the advice!!!

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 528

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
01:02 May-13-2011

Remember that the BINDT/PCN offices are in the University of Northampton!
This course is firmly tied into the PCN scheme...

themisp
themisp
08:57 May-13-2011
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 01:02 May-13-2011 .

Very interesting information. I didnt know that BINDT is in the University!!! I think it's good enough regarding to effectiveness of the course!

Jeffrey Tay

Jeffrey Tay

Singapore,
Joined Oct 2010
09:39 May-13-2011

So meaning with that certificate it equates to PCN Level certification? i.e. No requirement for further qualifications?

Martin Lugg
Consultant,
Eddyfi Technologies, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 2000, 27

Martin Lugg

Consultant,
Eddyfi Technologies,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2000
10:34 May-13-2011

I probably ought to know Joe, but does the University include PCN training as part of their course? Would seem like a good idea. I'm sure they wouldn't discourage it!
Also, you get some time taken off the prior NDT experience needed for getting the PCN certificate if you have a scientific degree (so should get certified quicker).

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
10:38 May-13-2011
In Reply to Jeffrey Tay at 09:39 May-13-2011 .

Doing a degree course in ndt will give you a high level of theoretical knowledge which I suppose would be necessary if you want to do research and/or development in the field.
Such a degree will not qualify or train you to be a radiographer or ut tech for instance. That is why we have certification systems like ASNT-TC-1a and EN473.
In-depth knowledge of an internal combustion engine does not mean that you can drive a car!

themisp
themisp
10:46 May-13-2011
In Reply to Jon Wallis at 10:38 May-13-2011 .

i am already working in NDT field but i dont have yet any certification. I am to. I found this degree in the University by chance and i thought that would help improve only my theoritical knowledge. What i dont understand is if this is a bachelor degree or a level 3 certification. I mean, after these studies you are a NDT Engineer or an Inspector Level 3 Certified! I dont care what of both. I just want to know!

Jeffrey Tay

Jeffrey Tay

Singapore,
Joined Oct 2010
11:46 May-13-2011
In Reply to themisp at 10:46 May-13-2011 .

That was what I am trying to get at. Having this degree may enable you to be gainfully employed as an engineer (MAYBE) but authorizing procedures etc can and only be done by a Level 3. Thus, if you gotten employed in a company, you can give your views based on your theories that was taught to you during your course. Ultimately, decisions will only be approved by another Level 3. So my advice will still be, do not only stop at the degree. 2 choices:

A) get this degree and after get your Level 3 certifications.
B) get Level 3 first, enhance your value with the degree.

;)

themisp
themisp
12:01 May-13-2011
In Reply to Jeffrey Tay at 11:46 May-13-2011 .

Yes, both choices seem good. I think the first choice is more easily reached!

Samuel Peebles
Consultant,
BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Jun 2009, 8

Samuel Peebles

Consultant,
BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2009
13:47 May-13-2011
In Reply to themisp at 12:01 May-13-2011 .

I am now in to the final year of the BSc in NDT from Northampton Uni and agree with some of the comments above in that it is extremely time consuming, A lot of the modules require intense reading and even though I hold numerous level 3's I still found the calculations to be extremely hard, It is not a course you can pass by learning parrot fashion as it has been structured by academics to make you read the supplied learning packages thoroughly and also to use other resources at your disposal like internet, reference doc's etc.
It has taught me time management is a virtue and has also made me improve on my grammar so I do no tloose marks when writing assignments etc.

themisp
themisp
19:07 May-13-2011
In Reply to Samuel Peebles at 13:47 May-13-2011 .

Samuel what about the exams? I mean, I will send the answers by mail or I have to be attended at the University for taking place?

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 889

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
14:08 May-14-2011
In Reply to themisp at 19:07 May-13-2011 .

Gentleman,

There was a tread on this topic aout a year ago and it made me look further into doing the course at Northampton. If I'm not mistaking, the degree you can do online (distance learning) is not a BSc, but a FdSc. Once you have completed the FdSc, you can then proceed to your BSc. And that BSc in NDT requires that you physically attend some courses at Northampton. Maybe Samuel could clarify this for us.

When I phoned Northampton to enquire about the FdBc, I was too late to sign up and people where a little vague about the requirements and the cost for the course. I taught you could start a distance learning course any time you want, but apparently now.

Jeffrey Tay

Jeffrey Tay

Singapore,
Joined Oct 2010
04:14 May-15-2011
In Reply to Michel Couture at 14:08 May-14-2011 .

Hi Mr Couture,

May I ask, what's FdSc and FdBc? From what you described, does that mean the course you took isn't really a degree?

samuelpeebles
Consultant,
BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Jun 2009, 8

samuelpeebles

Consultant,
BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2009
07:22 May-15-2011
In Reply to Michel Couture at 14:08 May-14-2011 .

Mr Couture,

I was on the first intake of students for this course approx 3.5 years ago and so far it has all been distance learning and will be for the reamining 4 months that I have left, I have no idea if this will continue as is for future courses but if tou contact the relevant course tutors who's names are on the Uni course website they are very helpful and responsive.

themisp
themisp
07:08 May-17-2011
In Reply to samuelpeebles at 07:22 May-15-2011 .

I have to say that I dont have any problem in communicating with people at the University. They are very halpeful but they always avoid to answer in one specific question, whether it is a University Degree or just a Certification. I have already asked 3 times and i wont ask again! I can't say that i can really trust them. I prefer paying for the EN473 certifications rather than spending money without a certain future value!!!

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
04:23 May-18-2011
In Reply to Jeffrey Tay at 04:14 May-15-2011 .

Jeffrey,

I didn't take any of the courses offered by Northampton University. When I looked into applying for the course, I was too late. I believe that when you do courses through distance learning, you could start any time you want, but apparently not so.

And from what i read on their site, the Fd Sc can be done through distance learning, but when you get to the B Sc, you have to attend classes, unless I am mistaking. one other point, they were very vague about the cost of the tuition and still don't know how much it would cost me to do this certificate.

Dr.Vijayaraghavan
Teacher, Consultant
Dhaanish Ahmed College of Engineering, India, Joined Feb 2011, 21

Dr.Vijayaraghavan

Teacher, Consultant
Dhaanish Ahmed College of Engineering,
India,
Joined Feb 2011
15:41 May-18-2011

Dear themisp,
I don’t recommend any online courses or distance learning courses for NDT because of lack of practical or in-situ knowledge. The NDT courses are not like management courses, it requires lot of practical classes. One should gain the in-situ experience and practical knowledge in NDT rather than just theoretical knowledge. Theoretical knowledge may be more important for the people in teaching carrier not for technicians. Technicians require limited theoretical background and lot of practical skills.

Andrew Cunningham
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 238

Andrew Cunningham

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
01:07 May-19-2011
In Reply to Dr.Vijayaraghavan at 15:41 May-18-2011 .

I agree 200% with Dr.Vijayaraghavan and Jon Wallis

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
02:01 May-22-2011
In Reply to Andrew Cunningham at 01:07 May-19-2011 .

Gentlemen,

If you want to become a technician, distance learning won't do. You do need the practical experience that is only obtain by attending classes. But one shouldn't dismiss course such as the ones provided by Northampton University. The codes we follow while doing our inspection do not provide you with reasons why some things are done a certain way. School of higher learning do provide this knowledge and one should never pass the opportunity to learn.

Personnally, i do get up every morning hoping that I will learn something new that day. If I do, I know that I will go to bed that night a better man.

cheerio's

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
12:06 Jan-18-2012
In Reply to Michel Couture at 02:01 May-22-2011 .

Excellent post, Michel.

Iris Johnson
Iris Johnson
16:40 Jan-25-2012
In Reply to Steve Doc at 12:06 Jan-18-2012 .

Right there, Michel. Theory is another important thing. You need to know why things are done this or that way.

I am currently taking University of Northampton’s NDT distance learning course. Though lacking some practical experience, the theoretical knowledge I gained cannot be discounted.

Time management is a must when taking this course. Also, you need lots of resources. Resources online is a big help. Information found at http://www.onlinecollegeclasses.com/ is great. I hope this information helps to anyone in need. God bless to all of us who are in this field and to those of us who are still pursuing this field.

Phil
NDT Inspector, Radiation Safety
BINDT, MIAQP, United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2009, 151

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
12:58 Feb-03-2012
In Reply to Michel Couture at 02:01 May-22-2011 .

Hi Michel

Good post, I had applied for a job as a NDT Instructor a couple of years ago with a major NDT employer in the UK, and one of the questions in the interview was what did I think of distance learning as a teaching tool.

To which I replied, I thought it was a good revision tool but you can not match face to face teaching and I quoted as an example connecting a 660 Isotope projector to a drive cable you have to feel the spring against the slide to know it is ok, I know you have a go no go gauge but making the connection you have to feel the spring.

So I feel it has a place but as you rightly point out you also need the practical experience.

Regards

Alan Thompson
Engineering
South Africa, Joined Sep 2010, 18

Alan Thompson

Engineering
South Africa,
Joined Sep 2010
03:25 Feb-07-2012
In Reply to Phil at 12:58 Feb-03-2012 .

There appears to be quite a variety of responses to this topic, however the relevance of connecting a Tech-Ops 660 to a wind out when talking about a BSc (Hons) degree surprises me to say the least. I think it suffices to say that for direct access to the BSc (Hons) degree a minimum of four PCN Level 3's (Or equivalent) are required. When considering a requirement to sit the level 3 exam a level 2 must be held in the discipline, therefore I would think it is safe to say that the direct entry students studying the BSc (Hons) will all be equipped with a suitable level of experience, I would also imagine this includes connecting a Tech Ops 660 container to a wind out (That is if Tech Ops 660 containers are still used globally).

Karen Cabana
Karen Cabana
08:27 Feb-08-2012

Theoretically, it's great! But when it comes to experience and hands-on, it's not the best. ;-)

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson
11:55 Feb-09-2012
In Reply to Karen Cabana at 08:27 Feb-08-2012 .

It is really refreshing to see that female NDT Technicians have taken the time to complete the BSc (Hons) NDT, could I ask Karen how you found the content of the course. I believe the syllabus to be quite demanding however for people with the desired background very rewarding, did you find this to be the case after completing the BSc. Could you give any advice on what you consider to be the most critical elements of the course of study. For example would you consider it necessary to pay particular attention to specific disciplines, it could be that an insight into Phased Array or TOFD may be required or perhaps other methods such as ACFM or PEC, or are the basic methods such as UT, RT, MT & PT sufficient to complete the BSc (Hons). Your experiences gained during the course would be of great benefit, could you share your experiences with the wider audience.

Phil

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
06:48 Feb-23-2012
In Reply to Alan Thompson at 03:25 Feb-07-2012 .

Hi Alan,

I used the connection of a Tech ops 660 to the windout as an example of where NDT Distance learning would not help you very much, as it is something you have to feel and is difficult to describe to someone who my not have done it.

If I remember correctly 660's are still legal until 2013 when there certification will not be renewed.

Regards

alan thompson
Engineering

alan thompson

Engineering
South Africa,
Joined Sep 2010
04:52 Feb-24-2012
In Reply to Phil at 06:48 Feb-23-2012 .

Phil,
Still unsure how a tech ops container and BSc in NDT are connected. As I said direct entry requirements to the BSc dictate that all direct entry students will have more than the required levels of experience. Maybe I am missing something. As for the tech ops 660 container, over the past 6 - 8 years I have worked in various locations world wide and it is becoming increasingly rare to see a tech ops 660 in use. Hopefully the replacement containers do not require so much in depth training / knowledge to connect to a wind out / drive cable.

Phil

Phil

BINDT, MIAQP,
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2009
07:52 Feb-24-2012
In Reply to alan thompson at 04:52 Feb-24-2012 .

Hi

The replacement for the 660 is the 880 using same method of connecting the windout drive cable. We are also phasing out our remaining 660's and replacing them with 880's.

My Point is Distance Learning may not be the best way of being introduced to a new method of NDT, without have any practical knowledge of how the method is applied.

Regards

Pradeep
Pradeep
10:55 Jan-25-2013
In Reply to Phil at 07:52 Feb-24-2012 .

To All,
I have completed ASNT Level III recently in 5 most practically used methods and wish to study further in NDT field. I just have known from the discussion in this post that study in Northampton University for NDT degree could complete my wishes. May I ask your valuable opinion?
Does any body knows that is it possible to wave some of the study based on my ASNT Level III (RT,MT,UT,PT,VT) certification?

Thanks you in advance for your kind suggestions.

alan
Engineering

alan

Engineering
South Africa,
Joined Sep 2010
15:23 Jan-25-2013
In Reply to Pradeep at 10:55 Jan-25-2013 .

You will go straight to the third year of the BSc honours, with the level 3's you will be exempt from the foundation degree

Sandeep
Sandeep
10:56 May-14-2014

I am working in NDT field as Sales and Application Executive since last 8 years. I am From India and completed Diploma in Electrical Engineering on 2001 In India.

To boost my career and gain more knowledge, I am looking for Distance Education Degree course in NDT (Online Exam).

Currently I am working in Oman country.

Can you please advise me, where, I should apply for getting Distance Education Degree course in NDT.

emilywilson
Sweden, Joined May 2015, 1

emilywilson

Sweden,
Joined May 2015
07:45 Jul-06-2015

Distance learning is a way of learning remotely without being in regular face-to-face contact with a teacher in the classroom. For information visit Hermods.

hossein ali
hossein ali
13:20 Oct-18-2015

hi.
we have ndt company in iran. i need to co company for agreement between you and us. if you do agree please call me.
haghsirat.h@gmail.com

Igwe Bright
Igwe Bright
05:08 May-29-2019

Both PCN and degree courses are important. It depends on his budget and income to fund the classes.
Thanks for your enlightenment

Product Spotlight

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window