where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Muhammad Azhar
Muhammad Azhar
06:43 Aug-02-2011
aws d1.1

kindly, plz help me to use the table 6.3 of aws D1.1.
1)I have set my reference db at 80% b=54.2 db
indication level a= ?
give any numerical example to calculate indication level.

2) attenuation factor c=(soundpath-1)*2
kindly give numerical example to calculate c. & sound path.

3)after calculating these values.I m facing difficulty in understanding table 6.3.

a)scanning level table is given at the bottom.what is the purpose of it?? & how to use it.give numerical example plzz

b)how to read and use table 6.3.plz help me by considering any umerical values.so that i can understand it properly.plz help me. I am in a very bad situation.I m level II and i have to perform ut of cyclic structure & i m unble to understand it.help me .

Ed T.
Ed T.
07:03 Aug-02-2011
Re: aws d1.1
In Reply to Muhammad Azhar at 06:43 Aug-02-2011 (Opening).

Yoy need to tell us your indication dB level before you set it at 80%. What was it originally?

Gowrisanthosh Palika
NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd, Singapore, Joined May 2008, 52

Gowrisanthosh Palika

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
08:34 Aug-02-2011

Hi
AWS D1.1 UT evaluation is some difficulty comparing other codes/standards but if u understand it once it is so easy.
a-b-c=d is the key of our evaluation
Where
"a" is indication level dB (indication set at reference level 80%, note dB from your screen. For numerical example 50)
"b" as you know reference dB (from1.5mm SDH V1 , for example 45)
"c" is attenuation rating, can calculate from the formula c=(BP-25.4)x0.079 (beampath taken from indication level dB beam path, example c=(50-25.4)x0.079 > c= 1.94. )
"d" is mentioned clearly in table6.3
Now use values in formula
a-b-c=d
50-45-1.94=3.06
Then go through table6.3 and evaluate
And lastly scanning levels given in tables, add to reference dB and scan according to beampath( for example if u want to scan 10 mm thick, for 70degree half beampath is nearly 30. Then follow scanning level table)
May helpful to you.
Regards
Gowrisanthosh

azhar
azhar
14:23 Aug-02-2011
In Reply to Gowrisanthosh Palika at 08:34 Aug-02-2011 .

thnaks for helping me out .....it was realy helpfull but kindly elaborate how to use table 6.3 plz give any numerical example .plzzz

mahesh
India, Joined May 2011, 5

mahesh

India,
Joined May 2011
14:22 Aug-18-2011

Dear all

But I have some doubts

1) In formula C =(BP-25.4)x0.079 why we have to deduct 25.4 and multiply by 0.079 ?
I mean to say that what is 25.4 and 0.079.

2) In AWS D1.1 its showing like below

The “Attenuation Factor C on the test report shall be attained by subtracting1 in.
[25 mm] from the sound-path distance and multiplying the remainder by 2. This factor shall be roundedout to the nearest dB value. Fractional values less than1/2 dB shall be reduced to the lower dB level and thoseof 1/2 dB or greater increased to the higher level.

Please explain

thanks

Musali
Musali
06:39 Aug-19-2011
In Reply to azhar at 14:23 Aug-02-2011 .

Dear Mr. Azhar,

I will try to explain with an example for the Table 6.2 which is very similar to 6.3.

For example if you have a thickness 25 mm which is falling in the range of 20 to 38 mm thick in the table and you will choose automatically 70 deg angle probe for scanning.

after scanning and calculating the d value (d=a-b-c ) and length of defect will become the deciding factor for accept/reject criteria.

1. If the d value is 2 or lower then the discontinuity severity comes under the Class A and it is eligible for rejectance irrespective of length.

2. If the d value is +3 then it comes under the Class B. In this case if the length of the discontinuity is more than 20 mm then it is rejected.

3. If the d value is +4 then it comes under the Class B. In this case if the length of the discontinuity is more than 50 mm then it is rejected.

Note:
- If the length of the defect is 10 mm and it is located at less than 20 mm from
the end then Class B & Class C welds are eligible for rejectance.

- If the length of two discontinuities is 10 mm and 15 mm respectively, and it is
separated by more than 30 mm, then it is acceptable

4. If the d value is +5 and higher then the weld is under Class D, and irrespective of length of discontinuity it is acceptable.

Scanning Levels:

For example, if you are scanning 10 mm thick with 70 deg probe, then the half sound path distance will be 30 mm approximately. This 30 mm comes in the range < or = 65 mm and you need to add 14 db for the reference db.

Reference db can be found using the 1.5 mm hole dia in the calibration block and for example if it is 45 db, then the scanning db will be 45+ 14 = 59 db.

Hope this clarifies

gnanaguru manickam
gnanaguru manickam
10:08 Feb-15-2012

thanks for your explanation of aws d1.1, its very helpful to me

john
john
16:18 Feb-15-2012

The first thing that was done incorrectly is your reference level. As i see on this post quite often, 80%FSH is incorrect, "...results on the display between 40% and 60% FSH...". 50% in what is normally used. If you start off with 80% FSH, the scanning level to use for a particular sound-path is made even higher resulting in even more "noise" on the screen.

The second critical thing that I see wrong is that the "Qualification Requirements" don't appear that they are being followed. If followed correctly, you would not have these questions and the reference level would be correct. "....the qualification of the UT operator shall include a specific and practical examination which shall be based on the requirements of this code. This examination shall require the UT operator to demonstrate the ability to apply the rules of this code in the accurate detection and disposition of discontinuities."

I do hope your questions are in regards to training, and not an actual inspection that you are performing.
I don't mean to be harsh, but proper adherence to the codes being used is critical to the tables and acceptance/rejection criteria working properly to insure the safety of the public.

Regards

Product Spotlight

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window