where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.
Technical Discussions
GOWRISANTHOSH
NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd, Singapore, Joined May 2008, 52

GOWRISANTHOSH

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
07:38 Aug-07-2011
MT indication
zoom image

MT indication

hi
please comment and suggest on attached image. i got this indication while was doing MT at toe of the weld on both side.
thank you

regards
Gowrisanthosh

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
02:53 Aug-08-2011
Re: MT indication
In Reply to GOWRISANTHOSH at 07:38 Aug-07-2011 (Opening).

Hi Go,

To me it looks like cold lap / lack of fusion. I have seen a bit of this with SAW welds. I'd guess too fast a travel speed and / or not enough current. In one case we were asked to excavate with a carbide bit, and the non fusion was evident to the vessels' corrosion allowance of 1/16". I'd rule out toe cracks as the indication follows the bead edge too closely and uniformly.

Regards,

Ryan.

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 301

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:07 Aug-08-2011
In Reply to GOWRISANTHOSH at 07:38 Aug-07-2011 (Opening).

Hi,
First thing I would do here is to see if a magnet is attracted to the parent material and also to the weld.
It could be that one of them is not able to be magnetised.

Godfrey

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
11:09 Aug-08-2011
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 08:07 Aug-08-2011 .

Even if both weld material and base metal are magnetic, there may be a large enough difference in permeability to create the indication shown. In this case I suggest that you grind the surface flat for about 10 cm length of indication without too much pressure (to avoid "smearing" the indication closed) and do a good visual check followed by PT

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window