where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
GOWRISANTHOSH
NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd, Singapore, Joined May 2008, 52

GOWRISANTHOSH

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
07:38 Aug-07-2011
MT indication
zoom image

MT indication

hi
please comment and suggest on attached image. i got this indication while was doing MT at toe of the weld on both side.
thank you

regards
Gowrisanthosh

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
02:53 Aug-08-2011
Re: MT indication
In Reply to GOWRISANTHOSH at 07:38 Aug-07-2011 (Opening).

Hi Go,

To me it looks like cold lap / lack of fusion. I have seen a bit of this with SAW welds. I'd guess too fast a travel speed and / or not enough current. In one case we were asked to excavate with a carbide bit, and the non fusion was evident to the vessels' corrosion allowance of 1/16". I'd rule out toe cracks as the indication follows the bead edge too closely and uniformly.

Regards,

Ryan.

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 306

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
08:07 Aug-08-2011
In Reply to GOWRISANTHOSH at 07:38 Aug-07-2011 (Opening).

Hi,
First thing I would do here is to see if a magnet is attracted to the parent material and also to the weld.
It could be that one of them is not able to be magnetised.

Godfrey

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
11:09 Aug-08-2011
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 08:07 Aug-08-2011 .

Even if both weld material and base metal are magnetic, there may be a large enough difference in permeability to create the indication shown. In this case I suggest that you grind the surface flat for about 10 cm length of indication without too much pressure (to avoid "smearing" the indication closed) and do a good visual check followed by PT

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

GUL Subsea Solutions - Screeening & Monitoring

To inspect new and existing subsea lines, you need proven technology and experience. GUL offers it's
technology to solve this challenge: GUL Subsea and gMAT Transducer Rings.
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window