where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Tarik
NDT Inspector,
Engineering, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 2011, 21

Tarik

NDT Inspector,
Engineering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2011
12:06 Dec-14-2011
Is it possible to study Ultrasound NDT Level 2 directly?

Hi All,

I am looking for some clarity here, as I am looking to start a career in UT NDT, and have received conflicting information in regards to whtehr or not it is practically possible to study directly towards Ultrasonics level 2, without going through the exam for level 1?

Various online sources claim this can be done, with attaining the correct amount of combined hours and months experience. However I received information from a large company upon request that this was not possible, as UT had too broad of topic area too cover. i am at somewhat of a loss here.

Any guidance and direction anybody could offer me would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tarik

Helle
Denmark, Joined May 2011, 1

Helle

Denmark,
Joined May 2011
15:24 Dec-14-2011
Re: Is it possible to study Ultrasound NDT Level 2 directly?
In Reply to Tarik at 12:06 Dec-14-2011 (Opening).

Dear sir,

it will be possible to attend the EN473 or ISO9712 UT level 2 exam, without attending the level 1 exam. But the requirements to training hours and experience must be fulfilled prior to certification.

S V Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S V Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
15:52 Dec-14-2011

It is very much possible to directly take Level II or even Level III without going through the Level I and II respectively in case of ASNT. Some other certification bodies may not accept that system. For example, ISNT (Indian Society for Non-Destructive Testing) does not accept that directly and has some restrictions including passing of a practical examination equal to LEVEL II (for direct candidates of Level III).

So, if you specify more clearly which certification body is involved, you will get better answers.

Swamy
Former ASNT Level III
Hyderabad, India

jon
jon
18:13 Dec-14-2011

In a word, YES.

Tarik
NDT Inspector,

Tarik

NDT Inspector,
Engineering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2011
20:28 Dec-14-2011
In Reply to S V Swamy at 15:52 Dec-14-2011 .

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Very green of me, I was referring to the PCN Certification. For what I have found online, it says it is possible, just wanted to specify through some more knowledgeable than myself.

So this saying, can I take the course and pass exam, then make up experience before I I am officially signed off' so to put it? Or does this process need to be reversed? Would I be in a better position too gain the working experience after the exam, or before? Sorr if this sounds stupid, just need some clarity on conflicting things I have been advised previously.

Thanks again.

regards,

Tarik

Jon Wallis
NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands, Joined Feb 2010, 626

Jon Wallis

NDT Inspector, -
Netherlands,
Joined Feb 2010
08:09 Dec-15-2011
In Reply to Tarik at 20:28 Dec-14-2011 .

Tarik,
in an ideal world you would gain experience before you take any examination.
Our industry is hands-on practical, in other words, you actually carry out the examinations and report them afterwords. Imagine sitting in a classroom and learning the necessary theory to pass your driving test, then driving round a car park for half an hour and subsequently taking the exam. Now if you pass you can drive on all roads anywhere. This is often what happens in our industry nowadays unfortunately.
If at all possible, find an ndt company to take you on as a trainee to be the 'second man' and learn as much as you can.
Lots of luck.

Tarik
NDT Inspector,

Tarik

NDT Inspector,
Engineering,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2011
17:01 Dec-15-2011
In Reply to Jon Wallis at 08:09 Dec-15-2011 .

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

That is looking like the route I am having too take, and possibly even work for free if needs be.

I have just completed my first day of confined spaces. today, and I hope to next do Rope Access, and be on my way from there.

Gonna take a lot of hard work and funding to get up and running. What exactly is your background/work area if you dont mind me asking?

madrid
madrid
04:24 Dec-29-2011
In Reply to Tarik at 17:01 Dec-15-2011 .

hey, PCN can be very similar to CGSB. but in my opinion and experience i notice that people who have gone and take their level 2 writen and practical exams and end up passing wont be taken seriously in the industry due to their lack of experience. the exams to my opinion are nothing like what you would do in real life. so is better to do your courses start as a trainee, learn as much as you can and take your exams once you feel you know more about the industry.

cheers

Product Spotlight

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window