where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GE Inspection Technologies
Inspection Technologies, a business of the Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE IT), is one of the world's leading suppliers of nondestructive testin ...
Technical Discussions
vijayaraghavan P
Consultant,
Freelance consultant, India, Joined Dec 2009, 12

vijayaraghavan P

Consultant,
Freelance consultant,
India,
Joined Dec 2009
11:04 May-25-2012
Digital radiography of castings

We are in the process of procuring “Digital Radiography system “ (Real time Digital Radiography system comprising Flat panel + Soft ware + C arm manipulator ) for radio graphic Inspection of Al & Mg alloy Castings.

Most of the company procedures mention " Non film techniques shall be of comparable or better sensitivity, than conventional film radiography for each part under consideration " which is general and does not provide any technical in put.

Can you please share your experience or refer who have experience in Digital Radiography system “ (Real time Digital Radiography system comprising Flat panel + Soft ware + C arm manipulator ) for radio graphic Inspection of Al & Mg alloy Castings.

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 161

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
04:25 May-26-2012
Re: Digital radiography of castings
In Reply to vijayaraghavan P at 11:04 May-25-2012 (Opening).

My last experience with digital radiography of castings was a couple of years ago, and I hope the equipment is continuing to improve. I was disappointed most by the difficulty in imaging shrinkage well because of the variation in both dimension and density in "feathery" discontinuities. I found DR to be much better than CR for this. It is extremely important to put limits on image manipulation by the individuals evaluating the castings. It is hard to learn how to compare reference images on film with digital images of discontinuities. Shooting a good number of castings with discontinuities using booth film and solid state imaging really helps inspectors learn to make the transition. In spite of having theoretically fewer shades of gray available, I really liked C-MOS digital systems because of the greatly reduced scatter compared to amorphous silicon panels, and especially compared to CR. Laser scanner maintenance is very important with CR. I had hoped for years to be able to view on-line digital x-ray images of castings while they were still at the foundry so that only the good ones could be shipped to us. It never happened. Now I am no longer concerned with this, but you have reminded me of the disappointments.

Product Spotlight

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window