where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Rajiv
Director,
CALTECH ENGINEERING SERVICES, India, Joined Mar 2003, 13

Rajiv

Director,
CALTECH ENGINEERING SERVICES,
India,
Joined Mar 2003
13:42 Dec-05-2012
Freqency of Probe & Velosity

I would like to use Ultarsonic Thickness Gauge for testing Plastic / Epoxy material thickness on concrete.
Please advice probe and velosity applicable for the gage.
Thanks in advance.

Rajiv

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
16:53 Dec-05-2012
Re: Freqency of Probe & Velosity
In Reply to Rajiv at 13:42 Dec-05-2012 (Opening).

Hello Rajiv,

Greetings.Can you kindly let us know the thickness of the plastic/epoxy that you would be interested in finding the thickness?

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Rajiv
Director,
CALTECH ENGINEERING SERVICES, India, Joined Mar 2003, 13

Rajiv

Director,
CALTECH ENGINEERING SERVICES,
India,
Joined Mar 2003
13:46 Dec-06-2012
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 16:53 Dec-05-2012 .

Dear Sudheer Jai Kishan,
Thickness of plastic/ epoxy is maximum 3mm.
I hope you have solution for above.

Regards,

RAJIV

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
20:32 Dec-06-2012
In Reply to Rajiv at 13:46 Dec-06-2012 .

Hi Rajiv,

It is possible. I do not know what gage you use, but i have tested (may be few days back) the thickness of fiber glass, GFRP etc with 45MG and 38DLP thickness gages. The thickness of the fiber glass was around 1.3mm and the GFRP was about 5mm that i used.

You will definitely get a backwall from the interface of the epoxy/plastic on concrete. I will recommend to try with M112 or M110 (if you have a 45MG or 35Series or a 38DL) which will be 5Mhz and 10Mhz transducer for which you must be able to get a good reading.

Please do the test and let us know your result

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
21:12 Dec-06-2012
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 20:32 Dec-06-2012 .

Keep in mind that for this to work, the coating/concrete boundary must be relatively smooth. If the coating was applied over rough concrete, sound waves will be largely scattered rather than reflected and it may be difficult to find a clean echo.

As for sound velocity, you should calibrate that on a coating sample of know thickness since it could vary widely, anywhere from less than 1800 m/s for some urethane coatings to greater than 2500 m/s for some hard epoxies.

Andrew Hurrell
Consultant, Ultrasonic Transducer Production
Precision Acoustics Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2000, 25

Andrew Hurrell

Consultant, Ultrasonic Transducer Production
Precision Acoustics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2000
13:22 Dec-11-2012
In Reply to Tom Nelligan at 21:12 Dec-06-2012 .

To add to Tom's point

If the underlying substrate is rough then a slightly lower frequency probe would result in a longer wavelength and would therefore be less sucesptible to scattering problems

If you need a custom designed probe for this type of application, do get in contact

Best wishes

Andrew

Jeff Leak
R & D, Ultrasonic Phased Array, Physical Science, NAS-410 LIII
NASA, USA, Joined Dec 1999, 37

Jeff Leak

R & D, Ultrasonic Phased Array, Physical Science, NAS-410 LIII
NASA,
USA,
Joined Dec 1999
18:17 Dec-11-2012
In Reply to Rajiv at 13:42 Dec-05-2012 (Opening).

I am going to jump in and see if I can make it simple for you:

* You likely have an Ultrasonic Thick Guage
* You want to measure thickness of Plastic that is bonded to Concrete
* You want to know what frequency to use and what material velocity to use

I would use the 5Mhz dual-element transducer that likely came with the unit. The material velocity for Platic will be low ... maybe around 0.0931m/s? Just lift the transducer off and look for a signal ... couple it back to the Platic surface and look for a signal. If you find one it would be the bond-interface of the Platic-to-Concrete, essentially the thickness of the Platic. Set the Gate on that signal and adjust the velocity manually or just do an auto-cal and make it read 3mm in a section that you know is 3mm thick.

Hope I got that right! Good luck ...

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window