where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.
Technical Discussions
Liu
Engineering,
China, Joined Jul 2012, 34

Liu

Engineering,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
07:33 Dec-20-2012
NDT test for PQR

Piping constructed as per ASME B31.3, we are doing the welding Procedure Qualification Record testing now,while NDT procedure have not been approval by Client yet, so the Client stop the PQR testing, I just wonder does NDT test is mandatory before PQR testing acording to ASME B31.3?

In my opinion,we can carry out PQR without any NDT test if mechanical test result can prove the full compliance of the weld test piece

Urgent for site working, thanks for any responses

Tim
Tim
14:42 Dec-20-2012
Re: NDT test for PQR
In Reply to Liu at 07:33 Dec-20-2012 (Opening).

Hello Liu,

I do not have the specified Code available, but it sounds as though NDT is a REQUIREMENT. Full testing results would have to include NDT in order to satisfy the REQUIREMENT. NDT is not just a formality.

Best of Luck!

Liu
Engineering,

Liu

Engineering,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
02:04 Dec-21-2012
In Reply to Tim at 14:42 Dec-20-2012 .

Hi Tim,
thank you for your reply
i think NDT is just to make sure the test piece without defect and avoid the mechanical test failure due to welding defects,,ASME IV is the relevant specific Code

NDT is the method to inspect the weld quality,it's highly depends on the welder performance,but Nothing to do with the Welding Procedure Qualification Record testing

i even have seen some codes before says that NDT can't be used to choose test piece from the whole qualification block, API 1104, if i remember...

i am a bit confused, but i just wonder whether NDT is mandatory for WPQR testing?

Gerald R. Reams
Gerald R. Reams
13:42 Dec-21-2012
In Reply to Liu at 07:33 Dec-20-2012 (Opening).

ASME B31.3 requires the use of ASME Section IX for PQR qualification. It does not impose an additional requirement for radiography of the test coupon.

Radiography is typically only used as a quality check. This is usually cost effective when the "required" mechanical test's costs are relatively expensive and you want to be assured that the weld quality is acceptable. The weld test can still fail even with acceptable radiographic quality; especially when charpy tests are required. For the ASME Code, Section IX is the correct code section, not IV.

Regards,
Gerald

Tim
Tim
15:51 Dec-21-2012
In Reply to Gerald R. Reams at 13:42 Dec-21-2012 .

Hello Gerald,

I must add that Liu made reference to NDT being a possible requirement. I am sure that you are correct in your reply that "It does not impose an additional requirement for radiography of the test coupon."

In the aerospace industry, and when AWS D17.1 is specified, RT, MT or PT may be a requirement.

Best of Luck!

Sh!V
Other, Manager NDT
Alhoty Analytical Services WLL, Bahrain, Joined Aug 2008, 3

Sh!V

Other, Manager NDT
Alhoty Analytical Services WLL,
Bahrain,
Joined Aug 2008
18:07 Dec-21-2012
In Reply to Gerald R. Reams at 13:42 Dec-21-2012 .

Hello Liu,

I agree with Mr.Gerald and further to add as far as piping volumetric/subsurface PQR concerned as per Section IX we require to fulfill the NDT requirement. This is part of qualification. The defective areas will be selected and suitable tests will be performed in the test coupon.

I feel its my view and u may check it once again!!!

Good luck.!

Liu
Engineering,

Liu

Engineering,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
03:28 Jan-03-2013
In Reply to Sh!V at 18:07 Dec-21-2012 .

Hi all,
thanks for all of your views!

we are carrying out WPQR test according to ASME IX,actually,we've got three skillfull welders to weld the test coupon,we are 100% confidence of the weld quality,as Gerald said
we don't want to spend more money on the NDT provided the NDT is not a mandatory requirement per the code,but the Client insist that NDT must be done,if not,he will refuse to sign off the WPQR test report even everyting is satisfactory to the code and spec.

how should i do to persuade the Client?

Gerald Reams
Engineering,
Industry, USA, Joined Aug 2012, 181

Gerald Reams

Engineering,
Industry,
USA,
Joined Aug 2012
14:32 Jan-03-2013
In Reply to Liu at 03:28 Jan-03-2013 .

Personally, I would take this additional requirement as being above Industry Standards. If your client wants x-ray, give them x-ray and make it clear that additional costs will be passed on to them. Remember, the Code mandates minimum requirements, additional requirements by the Client are often specified; however, the minimum requirements of the Code must be met.

X-ray will often reveal discontinuities that are not acceptable to the x-ray acceptance criteria but, the coupon may still pass the mechanical tests required and vice versa.

Best regards,

Gerald R. Reams

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe

DOPPLER NEW Wheel Type Phased Array Probe, more stable, new tyre makes lesser acoustic attenuation
, much lighter makes easier to handle, more slim size, magnetic and mechanical encoder optional etc...more
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window