where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
hamzakhan
NDT Inspector,
E N A CT, Algeria, Joined Mar 2013, 4

hamzakhan

NDT Inspector,
E N A CT,
Algeria,
Joined Mar 2013
09:12 Mar-06-2013
Ultrasonic testing in high temperautre

Hi
I am new inspector UT/2, I will want to know how to make the
calibration for measurement from thickness on pipe at high
temperature, my apparatus is olympus EPOCH LTC with daul probe (400°C)
and olympus GM2 plase help me
best regards

mahmoud refaat
NDT Inspector,
Egypt, Joined Aug 2012, 16

mahmoud refaat

NDT Inspector,
Egypt,
Joined Aug 2012
11:02 Mar-06-2013
Re: Ultrasonic testing in high temperautre
In Reply to hamzakhan at 09:12 Mar-06-2013 (Opening).

HI, hamzakhan
at first i want to clarify that i am junior like you but have little experience
1-first based on ASME V the calibration block will be pipe or can use flat block depending on the pipe diameter so what is the pipe diameter and what is the code ?
2- the calibration steps in general will be using the calibration block if it is flat or curvature one depending on pipe diameter and you must check about the examined material P number and must be like the Calibrated bloc P number
3- the temperature according to ASME V the allowable difference between calibration block and examined temperature with in 14 degree Celsius but i think you must check about the data sheet for the used probe at first and if it is fit to be used in that temperature or not and if it is O.K so you can use it with in the temperature limit mentioned in the Probe data sheet

John
John
14:17 Mar-06-2013
In Reply to mahmoud refaat at 11:02 Mar-06-2013 .

As you mentioned, this is for thks, just make sure the step wedge is the same temp as the part inspected
Do this by placing step wedge on part to be inspected

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
14:57 Mar-06-2013

As noted above, you need to calibrate velocity and zero on a test block whose temperature matches that of your test piece. Also, if you are using one of our high temperature duals at 400°C, you need to keep contact with the hot surface brief. Please see our application note on this subject for more details:

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/applications/high-temperature-ultrasonic-testing/347-pos.20.html

mahmoud refaat
NDT Inspector,

mahmoud refaat

NDT Inspector,
Egypt,
Joined Aug 2012
22:55 Mar-06-2013
In Reply to Tom Nelligan at 14:57 Mar-06-2013 .

sorry i thought that you will use flaw detector not thickness measurement
as noted above the procedure will be
1- check for probe data sheet
2- i think at first check that the material is the same for the piping material or at leat the same P no
3- elevate the temperature of the step wedge to the examined temperature
4- so now the material and temperature like the examined material so the attenuation and the scattering inside the material will be the same as the examined material (in addition to dv/dT temperature effect we already took it in our consideration in calibration step)
5- use calibration using two calibrating steps thin and thick one and you must to check that the examined thickness located between the two steps i.e if the piping thickness 0.75 inch so use calibration on 0.25 and 0.1 inched or use one step with the same thickness i.e 0.75 inch

Finally ASME V doesn't talk as for temperature effect so if any one found the article or clause for the correction factor or any note regarding high temperature examination advise me

hamzakhan
NDT Inspector,

hamzakhan

NDT Inspector,
E N A CT,
Algeria,
Joined Mar 2013
14:24 Mar-09-2013

thank yuo for all,
the temperature variation in speed-on U.S. it has a significant effect or no

1-my job is to measure the thickness of a pipe 6 "duplex steel material SS A790
nominal THK: 11.5 mm and MIN THK: 10 mm (12.5%)
2-my block calibration is V1 ( carbon steel)
3-operating temperature of the pipe is 125°C-225°C and  second is 400°C

tell me how to do the calibration and measurement in this case i'm lost

Sudheer Jai Krishnan
Sudheer Jai Krishnan
18:58 Mar-09-2013
Hello Hamzakkan

You are having a SS material and you calibration block is a carbon steel which is not correct. You have to get a similar material as a cal block. Also, if you have a 38DL Plus with you, then you will not face any difficulties when you do the High Temperature thickness measurements as 38DL Plus has got the facility of entering the material temperature in it. Epoch LTC what you are using is a dedicated hand held Ultrasonic Flaw Detector and not a thickness gage.

Regards

Sudheer Jai Krishnan

hamzakhan
NDT Inspector,

hamzakhan

NDT Inspector,
E N A CT,
Algeria,
Joined Mar 2013
09:15 Mar-10-2013
In Reply to Sudheer Jai Krishnan at 18:58 Mar-09-2013 .

hello and thank you very much
In my situation with EPOCH LT / EPOCH LTC what is the solution
I made a wedge duplex SS in the workshop 5mm-10mm-20mm ,but the problem is I do not know how I correct speed to high temperature there a formula V = f (T) and
later I recommend 38DL for my company

Best regards

John
John
15:43 Mar-10-2013
In Reply to hamzakhan at 09:15 Mar-10-2013 .

The formula is very simple, but I am doubting you would remember as you don't need one if the block is the same temp as the material.(as stated on this thread several times). Most codes also state "shall" when it comes to the test piece & cal block at same temp, which makes formulae a moot point.

mahmoud refaat
NDT Inspector,

mahmoud refaat

NDT Inspector,
Egypt,
Joined Aug 2012
00:57 Mar-11-2013
In Reply to John at 15:43 Mar-10-2013 .

hamzakhan
referring to the materials Standard (ASTM Stand and ASME II Part A and ASME IX ) you inspected material SA-790 classified as P n- 10 H group 1 and Carbon is P no1 so you have to use calibration block from the same material or at least from the same P-no
secondly i think regarding the instrument i also recommended 38DL Plus because it's high accuracy regarding thickness measurements in high temperature and you must select suitable transducer for example Gage Dual Transducers and check about the temperature limit for it
finally regarding the variation of the temperature V.s sound speed i am with Mr.john why you need it if you will calibrated the block at the same temperature and you can calculate it reversely from your calibration and if the formula for the effect of the temperature on velocity you can read the next article for the formula :
http://www.ndt.net/article/wt1097/hammond/hammond.htm

ajith m r
NDT Inspector,
geecy Industrial Services Pvt Ltd, India, Joined Mar 2013, 2

ajith m r

NDT Inspector,
geecy Industrial Services Pvt Ltd,
India,
Joined Mar 2013
08:39 Mar-11-2013

Hello,
Am not that exprt in this, but I ask this qus to ma sir, am noting down his suggestion

1) Calibration block must b on same metrial, and temp, temp must b check with infrared thermometer,
And if u use temp stick the error is upto 50 deg, that may distroy ur prob,

2) Coplnt, should withstand up to that temp, water oil and greez wil get evaprt so wil get some gel. It should apply on prob , and the mechine u noted above I think it has an ability to retrive the image, so just place d probe take take it with in some seconds, after a scan give tym to cool dwn ur cristal

3)Bec of high tem make sure ur body , meechine, probe cable r safe.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
14:17 Mar-11-2013
In Reply to hamzakhan at 09:15 Mar-10-2013 .

"the problem is I do not know how I correct speed to high temperature there a formula V = f (T)"

The application note link that I gave you above contains the general answer. Velocity in carbon steel drops by approximately 1% per 55 degrees Celsius. There is a small variation between different alloys, but that number is usually good enough to work with.

Product Spotlight

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

32:128PR PAUT & 2-ch TOFD Flaw Detector: SyncScan 2

●32:128PR PAUT with optional 2-ch TOFD to maximize your efficiency ●Support PR mode for corrosi
on inspection ●Multiple solutions for welds & corrosion ●Faster scan speed (Approximately 3 meters/minute) ●Light weight: 4kg only including battery
>

Scatter Correction for Industrial Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT)

Download our white paper on Scatter Correction for Industrial Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT)
Using 3D VSHARP, a fast GPU-Based Linear Boltzmann Transport Equation Solver here: http://bit.ly/2Y0t78P
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window