where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing
Technical Discussions
sreemoy
India, Joined Oct 2011, 6

sreemoy

India,
Joined Oct 2011
20:12 Jun-16-2013
transducer construction( Manaul UT)

Why circular dia. transducer are used in normal (0 degree) probes & rectangular transducer in angle probes?
Also what is the shape of the transducer in T-R probe?

Please reply ,
Thank you

Wiesław Bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 266

Wiesław Bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
10:49 Jun-17-2013
Re: transducer construction( Manaul UT)
In Reply to sreemoy at 20:12 Jun-16-2013 (Opening).

It is mostly, because circular shape is more convenient to manufacture and to handle.
In all types of probes.

sreemoy

sreemoy

India,
Joined Oct 2011
07:15 Jun-20-2013
In Reply to Wiesław Bicz at 10:49 Jun-17-2013 .

ok.
i have got the similar from other persons working in my company . But the why dont they manufacture circular shap for angle probe ?

Also what is the shape of the transducer in T-R probe?

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
14:56 Jun-20-2013
In Reply to sreemoy at 07:15 Jun-20-2013 .

Angle beam transducers with circular elements most certainly do exist. We sell a lot of them, as do our friends at GE. I suspect that they may be more commonly used in North America than Europe or Asia, so perhaps that is why you have not encountered them in India.

As for T-R (dual element) transducers, the elements are commonly D-shaped so that two of them fit into a round case, although duals with rectangular elements also exist.

Andrew Hurrell
Consultant, Ultrasonic Transducer Production
Precision Acoustics Ltd, United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2000, 25

Andrew Hurrell

Consultant, Ultrasonic Transducer Production
Precision Acoustics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2000
15:08 Jun-27-2013
In Reply to Tom Nelligan at 14:56 Jun-20-2013 .

I also wonder whether this may also be related to the geometry of the wedge of an angled probe. A circular element will have edges waves propagating from the periphery of the active element - and thus there will be a range of times of flight as edge wave interacts with the plane surface on the side of the wedge. This _may_ lead to some unusual interference patterns. In contrast a rectangular element will have an edge wave that is parallel to the side of the wedge and thus all reflections exhibit the same time of flight.

That said - I'm not sure that one of these is more desirable than the other ...

sreemoy

sreemoy

India,
Joined Oct 2011
16:28 Jun-27-2013
In Reply to Tom Nelligan at 14:56 Jun-20-2013 .

Mr. Tom Nelligan, since you belong to company who actually manufactures UT probes could be more elaborate on use of circular & rectangular transducer .

Why in north america specially they are use ? because i have never come across those probe till please specify the details if you can .

Thank you.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
19:16 Jun-27-2013
In Reply to sreemoy at 16:28 Jun-27-2013 .

Mr. Sreemoy, there is little that I can add to what I wrote above. I suspect that it is largely a matter of history and custom. We offer both round and rectangular styles and the round probes are sold primarily in North America. In most applications either type will work well in the hands of a trained inspector.

Product Spotlight

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window