where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Career Discussions
Ram
Engineering,
India, Joined Jul 2013, 2

Ram

Engineering,
India,
Joined Jul 2013
07:37 Jul-08-2013
Confused of a new start into NDT

sir,

I am Mechanical Engineer of 2013 pass out. Have decided to start my career towards NDT. I am interested in Inspection area too. But am a little bit scared after hearing few suggestions from the industry people. What they say is, "you have passed an engineer degree, then y to aim to this NDT, Its a technician level course, y can't u aim high..?"

I thought of becoming a Quality Engineer after a few years of experience after this course.

What all the differences will i have in this NDT career comparing with Diploma candidates...

Please post your idea's. It would be helpful for my career

George Shields
NDT Inspector, NDT Level 3
United Kingdom, Joined Oct 2012, 30

George Shields

United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 2012
09:40 Jul-08-2013
Re: Confused of a new start into NDT
In Reply to Ram at 07:37 Jul-08-2013 (Opening).

Hi Ram,

In my opinion, if you wanted to be a quality engineer you can do it without taking on the NDT Career. I mean it would take 7-10 years to be a really good NDT tech. Surely just develop a knowledge over time. The job im working on ATM has a few really good quality engineers and they have a limited amount of ndt knowledge. Just because you have maybe a few ndt qualification will not define you as a good QE.

But thats just me...

Ram
Engineering,
India, Joined Jul 2013, 2

Ram

Engineering,
India,
Joined Jul 2013
11:00 Jul-08-2013
In Reply to George Shields at 09:40 Jul-08-2013 .

Thanks Mr. George,
Is there any add-on courses for the quality engineers. so that i can differentiate myself among other engineers by having those courses.

George Shields
United Kingdom, Joined Oct 2012, 30

George Shields

United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 2012
12:39 Jul-08-2013
In Reply to Ram at 11:00 Jul-08-2013 .

I know certain schools do NDT Appreciation Course. These give you detailed classes into NDT and other aspects of welding inspection. However i do not know additional info on such courses. Outwith NDT im not to sure. Im sure there will be other Engineers on this that can help.

Wish you all the best

Thangathithan
NDT Inspector, API/ Plant inspector, Inspection Engineer, ASNT Level-3,Mechanical Integrity Team Lead
India, Joined May 2010, 7

Thangathithan

NDT Inspector, API/ Plant inspector, Inspection Engineer, ASNT Level-3,Mechanical Integrity Team Lead
India,
Joined May 2010
17:56 Jul-08-2013
In Reply to George Shields at 09:40 Jul-08-2013 .

If you want to do post graduate in NDT, go for M.TECH IN NDT - National Institute of Technology,Trichirappali.

Best of luck

jaimin
NDT Inspector, NDT LeveL-III @ UIC, KSA
Saudi Arabia, Joined Dec 2012, 100

jaimin

NDT Inspector, NDT LeveL-III @ UIC, KSA
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
15:26 Jul-13-2013
In Reply to Thangathithan at 17:56 Jul-08-2013 .

all have their own view.

whats your view on ndt?

as it's not something that as engineer u cant do this or that as m also engineer but i like to work with my hand as technician,it helps me latter when i got job as ndt manager or level-3 then u guide your technician & solve problems!!

BOUNATIRO
NDT Inspector, QAQC
Csc- exp, Algeria, Joined Sep 2011, 58

BOUNATIRO

NDT Inspector, QAQC
Csc- exp,
Algeria,
Joined Sep 2011
15:54 Jul-13-2013
In Reply to jaimin at 15:26 Jul-13-2013 .

Hi

I'm QAQC engineer, i have approximatly 3years experience in the field, but when i was beginning my experience i was just a PT inspector working, on the inspection of welding structure, by the time i increase my skills in welding and other technique, so here i'm know engineer QAQC , i linked between my diploma of engineer and field of NDT,
there is one proverb says: practice makes perfect.

Good luck

Thangathithan S.
India, Joined May 2010, 7

Thangathithan S.

India,
Joined May 2010
17:50 Jul-13-2013
In Reply to jaimin at 15:26 Jul-13-2013 .

I would say NDT is a very good field for carrier growth. Better start with NDT tech for field work to get some practical experience simultaneously do some advanced courses such as TOFD & PAUT then NDT Levlel III to reach highest position but never stop learning new things. Knowledge is powerful.

Best of luck

Product Spotlight

GUL Subsea Solutions - Screeening & Monitoring

To inspect new and existing subsea lines, you need proven technology and experience. GUL offers it's
technology to solve this challenge: GUL Subsea and gMAT Transducer Rings.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

A1525 SOLO

A1525 Solo – the most compact and affordable TMF unit with two phased array transducers and 3D v
isualization and analysis software in standard delivery set. A compact, ergonomic and easy to handheld Phased Array unit based on Total Focusing Method for easy-going imaging of inspection objects with two-dimensional and three-dimensional visualization and evaluation of inspection results.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window