where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
yot
Japan, Joined Aug 2013, 2

yot

Japan,
Joined Aug 2013
02:01 Aug-15-2013
phased array on austenitic ss and nickel alloy

Hi,

I heard that phased array could be performed on SS and nickel alloys without any special probes. Does anyone has any experience and knowledge regarding this?. I am wondering how to differentiate the noises and defect echo.

Is PA possible on dissimilar and buttered weld joints?.. example is 2.25Cr+Inco buttering+Inco welding with CS. Does anyone has experience performing PA to this kind of joint?.

I dont have experience performing PA on SS or dissimilar welds, therefore i dont have any benchmark or idea how to evaluate the echos.

If you have any referance or documents/books/papers, please let me know.

Thank you

GANESHKUMAR
GANESHKUMAR
06:45 Aug-15-2013
Re: phased array on austenitic ss and nickel alloy
In Reply to yot at 02:01 Aug-15-2013 (Opening).

Dear ,
Is possible with longitudinal wave . ex-wedge- SA12-N60L). we did CS to inconel-625 weld with that probe. we got good result.

yot
Japan, Joined Aug 2013, 2

yot

Japan,
Joined Aug 2013
11:09 Aug-15-2013
In Reply to GANESHKUMAR at 06:45 Aug-15-2013 .

Dear ganesh,

Thank you for your reply. How was the echo/PA screen between the weld boundaries and base metal (CS + INCO boundry). If there is any discontinuities, is it possible to differentiate either noise or discontinuities?.

Carlos Correia
R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP, Venezuela, Joined Oct 2008, 120

Carlos Correia

R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP,
Venezuela,
Joined Oct 2008
16:52 Aug-15-2013
In Reply to yot at 11:09 Aug-15-2013 .

The first point you have to know to consider effective application of UTPA is the grain size involved in the different regions of the welds.
I have done success inspections with UTPA in “low” thickness (from 7 to 12 mm) SS with shear waves and conventional UT phased arrays transducers 5L16, but the grain size was below 70 microns (if I remember well). We develop a demonstration performance (to be sure about our results) with flawed specimens before inspection has begun and all flaws were detected (which nothing says about POD since it wasn’t a formal POD calculation experiment).
Generally (not always) the grain size is not too important variable to be controlled during the WPS development, so, as the thickness of the weld growth, the grain size also growth and shear waves could not do the job. So, a possible solution is to use frequencies below 2 MHz with longitudinal waves and just 1 leg. Procedure should be carefully designed.

Patrick Tremblay
Sales, -
Zetec, Canada, Joined Nov 2010, 29

Patrick Tremblay

Sales, -
Zetec,
Canada,
Joined Nov 2010
19:00 Aug-15-2013
In Reply to yot at 11:09 Aug-15-2013 .

In the nuclear industry, the state-of-the-art for inspecting austenitic SS and dissimilar metal weld is to use 2D matrix arrays in transmit/receive configuration.

The 2D matrix arrays allow for simultaneous variation of refracted angle and skew angle whereas the dual (T/R) arrays offer the following benefits: absence of near-surface “deadzone”; elimination of “ghost echoes” caused by internal reflections in the wedge; a better sensitivity and SNR due to the convolution of T and R beams; and an improved inspection capability on various austenitic steel structures, especially for L-waves.

For more info, you can refer to the following paper:

http://www.ndt.net/article/jrc-nde2012/papers/118.pdf

ali yousefi
ali yousefi
09:05 Aug-17-2013
In Reply to yot at 02:01 Aug-15-2013 (Opening).

i think you can use 2 MHz probe. for better result you can use longitudinal wave.
if you want to performing PA on SS on dissimilar welds shall be demonstrated on a actual sample for diagnosis between relevant and non relevant echo.
also dis boundary can affect test and shall be tested sepreately .

Product Spotlight

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window