where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
michael
United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2013, 2

michael

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2013
19:25 Sep-10-2013
starting a new career but confused already

looking to start a career in NDT. Can anyone say which is the "best way" off going about it? as I have had conflicting advice I.E tickets first then think about jobs but then on the other hand its better to have a job in oil and gas first then look at heading down the NDT route??

Any input would be welcoming

thanks

michael

andrew cunningham
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 238

andrew cunningham

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
21:12 Sep-10-2013
Re: starting a new career but confused already
In Reply to michael at 19:25 Sep-10-2013 (Opening).

It all depends where you live. What type of industry is in your commuting distance, oil, power or fabrication? You start by knocking on NDT company doors and throw yourself at their feet. You may feel you are in the wrong location, but I started in Bournemouth and managed to find work, So I will repeat you must knock on doors and offer yourself as a assistant.
All the best

Michael
United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2013, 2

Michael

United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2013
06:58 Sep-11-2013
In Reply to andrew cunningham at 21:12 Sep-10-2013 .

Hi Andrew thank you for your reply that's giving me a starting point. I ilve on the east coast of scotland its mainly the oil industry in montrose/Aberdeen but as I'm already imployed in a completely different line of work will this effect my chances? I have no experience of this line of work should I attend college 1st or just aim for your idea off an assistant??

Thanks again

Michael

George Shields
NDT Inspector, NDT Level 3
United Kingdom, Joined Oct 2012, 30

George Shields

NDT Inspector, NDT Level 3
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 2012
09:49 Sep-11-2013
In Reply to Michael at 06:58 Sep-11-2013 .

Michael,

It depends entirely up to you mate. Im a fifer at heart and i started out working for a small NDT firm in Methil, Leven. You can put yourself through tickets at numerous places. (Fife collage, Talon, etc) However they are expensive to fund yourself... Even with these tickets you are not guaranteed a job as most posts ask for a minimum amount of experience.
Another way is as Andrew stated is being an assistant at a fabrication shop type job and work your way up. There are positives and negatives for both sides. However if you do go for your tickets at collage first most certifying bodies need proof of experience before you pass the exam.

I know its not easy to get you foot in the door.

George

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window