where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Peter
Singapore, Joined Jan 2012, 117

Peter

Singapore,
Joined Jan 2012
06:07 Sep-10-2013
UT FLAW EQUIPMENT AND PROBE

Dear UT Expert,

How many of you believe that equipment and probes from same manufacturer will give better performance compare to mixing of probe brand with diffrent equipment brand? Share your experinece and knowledge.Thanks in advance.

Peter

James Scalf
NDT Inspector,
Royal Canadian Air Force, Canada, Joined Oct 2012, 273

James Scalf

NDT Inspector,
Royal Canadian Air Force,
Canada,
Joined Oct 2012
13:11 Sep-13-2013
Re: UT FLAW EQUIPMENT AND PROBE
In Reply to Peter at 06:07 Sep-10-2013 (Opening).

Peter,
I have worked with many probes (old and new) from various manufactures. I have also used various test instruments. I have never, with the execption of phased array units, found that a family concept needs to be applied with regards to UT Probes. What one needs to look at is the performance characteristics of the probes themselves and the application they are to be applied to to make the determination as to which probe will work best for the job at hand. For general (quick) scanning, on large grained structures or rough surface finishes, I have found the Olympus product line excellent but I have found, in certain instances where the GE "Gamma" Series probes give a much better performance. I guess the bottom line is that you have to trial your system and applications with various probes from different manufacturers and find the one that works best for the given situation. Phased Array probes are a little different in that most Instruments are equiped with Probe recognition software but it generally only recognizes probes from the instrument manufacturer. This is not to say that you can not use a GE Probe on a system such as the OMNISCAN MX from Olympus. It just requires that you manually install the probe atributes into the system before you can begin your calibrations, which depending on the software model and system can be and often is a lengthy process rather then having the Array Probe and wedges already built into the instrument.
Hope this helps. Cheers...

andrew cunningham
NDT Inspector
Canada, Joined Jun 2008, 238

andrew cunningham

NDT Inspector
Canada,
Joined Jun 2008
17:45 Sep-13-2013
In Reply to Peter at 06:07 Sep-10-2013 (Opening).

All manufacture’s sales department will always tell you, to use only their own products only (I wonder why) but it is the hand behind the probe that makes the biggest difference.
All the best

P V SASTRY
R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D, India, Joined Jan 2003, 195

P V SASTRY

R & D, NDT tecniques metallurgy
TAKEN VRS FROM THE POSITION OF SR. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER BHEL CORPORATE R&D,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
19:45 Sep-13-2013
In Reply to andrew cunningham at 17:45 Sep-13-2013 .

I entirely agree with you. Particularly "the hand behind the probe" part.

Best wishes

P V SASTRY

Trong My Nguyen
Director,
Vietnam Inspection Solutions Co., Ltd, Vietnam, Joined May 2000, 22

Trong My Nguyen

Director,
Vietnam Inspection Solutions Co., Ltd,
Vietnam,
Joined May 2000
04:07 Sep-14-2013
In Reply to P V SASTRY at 19:45 Sep-13-2013 .

Dear All,
It is heard that Olympus now are able to offer their phased array probes with connectors compatible with the GEIT Phasor instrument.
For UT application my opinion is that the head above and the hand behind the probe make the biggest difference.
My

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window