where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
Lloyd Lawson
Student
USA, Joined Sep 2009, 5

Lloyd Lawson

Student
USA,
Joined Sep 2009
05:34 Nov-15-2013
NDT Quality Manual

I have recently been tasked with drafting a quality manual for my company's NDT department. Can anyone point me in the direction of a template or provide information where to start?

Steven Docherty
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Docherty

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
11:08 Nov-15-2013
Re: NDT Quality Manual
In Reply to Lloyd Lawson at 05:34 Nov-15-2013 (Opening).

Lloyd, ISO9000 for vocabulary and ISO9001 for requirements are the best reference documents anyone can recommend for a General Quality Manual. Once you want to take that system into a Project then ISO10006 is the reference document.

Or are you looking for an "off the shelf" NDT Quality Manual that you can change the Organisations name and "approve"? I would strongly advise against that. You should remember your Organisations Quality Manual should be specific to you, and only detail processes you actually are concerned with.

Rafid O. Lopez
, NDT Level 3
Mexico, Joined Jan 2010, 82

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
17:13 Nov-15-2013
In Reply to Steven Docherty at 11:08 Nov-15-2013 .

This can be an general procedure for NDT, where all topics related to NDT can be specified or detailed.

For example: Documentation, Organization, environment, Calibration & Training (OJT).

For example: all personnel shall be qualified and certified as NDT Level 2 in accordance with established in NDT-001 Procedure.

Commonly in all NDT departments there are a body like this:

General procedure of NDT (or NDT Quality Manual)
Procedure of Qualification and certification personnel (NDT-001)
Procedure of PT (NDT-002)
Procedure of MT (NDT-003)
Procedure of RT (NDT-004)
Procedure of UT (NDT-005)

Regards

anjafo
NDT Inspector
Norway, Joined Aug 2009, 204

anjafo

NDT Inspector
Norway,
Joined Aug 2009
20:18 Nov-15-2013
In Reply to Lloyd Lawson at 05:34 Nov-15-2013 (Opening).

ISO/IEC 17025 - Laboratory Accreditation Bureau 17025
I remember thinking this was a good standard to work towards, especially considering testing and measuring equipment, storing of reports etc.

I think you are best to use their chapters as a guide but always right what you do not what you want to do. Implement first.

Easy to write not so easy to implement.

Personnel records, Procedures, Calibration, Reporting all important areas for a testing company.

Lloyd Lawson
Student
USA, Joined Sep 2009, 5

Lloyd Lawson

Student
USA,
Joined Sep 2009
08:46 Nov-16-2013
In Reply to Steven Docherty at 11:08 Nov-15-2013 .

Was mainly having trouble getting started, was looking for something to put me in the right direction. I will definitely look at the references you suggested.

TOny Reyes
TOny Reyes
23:01 Jan-27-2015
In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 17:13 Nov-15-2013 .

Good day, I was wondering about the Quality Manual as well, I just got started with my company and do Independent Contracting jobs, buy now i been ask for more techs and a Quality Manual as well, are you in a position to help me create one, and how much will it cost me, we do Ut, Mt, Pt, Vt, and PA,

Steven Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steven Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
07:31 Jan-28-2015
In Reply to TOny Reyes at 23:01 Jan-27-2015 .

Tony,
See my first reply in this thread.
The NDT Procedures quoted by Rafid are the Process Control part of your Quality Manual, however as you will see from the referenced documents there are many other areas that would need to be addressed.
You may find that you will be better served with a Matrix type Quality Manual to begin with and slowly start to work through the matrix and develop Documented Procedures where deemed necessary.
If you are not working according to ISO9000 Series, you yourself can determine what is necessary and what is not.
As I have stated previously, you cannot take another companies Quality Manual and apply it to your own organisation. Unfortunately.

Product Spotlight

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection

M2M Gekko® is a field-proven flaw detector offering PAUT, UT, TOFD and TFM through the streamline
d user interface Capture™. Released in 32:128, 64:64 or 64:128 channel configurations, Gekko combines high- resolution and speed while reducing inspectors’ training time.
>

Customized Probes and Transducers

With a strong development department and our own piezocomposite production, we accompany you from th
e first product idea to serial production. Our scientists are continuously researching new methods in the field of ultrasonic measurement technology. The progress achieved enables us to offer you optimal solutions.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window