where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mikel
Teacher,
GOIERRI SCHOOL, Spain, Joined Dec 2013, 6

Mikel

Teacher,
GOIERRI SCHOOL,
Spain,
Joined Dec 2013
00:38 Dec-18-2013
interpretation phased array image

This image corresponds to a phased array inspected weld (136mm thickness).
What interpretation can be done?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88274602/phased%20array%20image.jpg

Thanks!!

Swadesh Singh
Saudi Arabia, Joined May 2012, 60

Swadesh Singh

Saudi Arabia,
Joined May 2012
05:34 Dec-18-2013
Re: interpretation phased array image
In Reply to Mikel at 00:38 Dec-18-2013 (Opening).

Hi Mikel,

There may be many reasons such as electrical noise, transducer damage, higher PRF. Check on each suspected factors.

Ali Chaboki
Engineering, NDT, Welding
TUV NORD, Iran, Joined May 2013, 32

Ali Chaboki

TUV NORD,
Iran,
Joined May 2013
10:57 Dec-18-2013

Hi Mikel
Its your encoder connection which is responsible for that noise. Try to fix it and I am wishful to hear about the result.

Ali

Swadesh Singh
Saudi Arabia, Joined May 2012, 60

Swadesh Singh

Saudi Arabia,
Joined May 2012
15:00 Dec-18-2013
In Reply to Ali Chaboki at 10:57 Dec-18-2013 .

Hi Ali,

I am eager to know that how an encoder connection be responsible for noise?. It would be appreciable, if you elaborate on this.

Thanks

Mikel
Teacher,
GOIERRI SCHOOL, Spain, Joined Dec 2013, 6

Mikel

Teacher,
GOIERRI SCHOOL,
Spain,
Joined Dec 2013
11:01 Dec-19-2013
In Reply to Swadesh Singh at 15:00 Dec-18-2013 .

Me too!!!!!

wieslaw bicz
Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o., Poland, Joined Feb 2009, 248

wieslaw bicz

Engineering,
PBP Optel sp. z o.o.,
Poland,
Joined Feb 2009
18:49 Dec-19-2013

It is quite popular, that encoder is generating significant electrical noise We have made many times this experience in different industrila and laboratory systems and have also helped our customers to fix it.

In some cases changing the connection cable helps, sometimes filtering (not always good for ecoder signal), sometimes you must find better encoder.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 520

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
01:40 Dec-20-2013
In Reply to wieslaw bicz at 18:49 Dec-19-2013 .

This is an s-scan, so there is no implied movement. I do not see
how an encoder could be responsible. It's hard to say what is responsible
for the observed noise. I would start by reducing the PRF and see if that helps

Joe

Ali Chaboki

Ali Chaboki

TUV NORD,
Iran,
Joined May 2013
16:34 Dec-20-2013
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 01:40 Dec-20-2013 .

Dear Joe

I saw this problem twice:
Once, I was working on weld inspection and I devised a way to eliminate the encoder setting time by just unplugging the encoder connection and adjusting the traveled path to zero on an AGR Handyscan RX device. That helps, but I figured out that in some instances there was some interfering signals on screen and even they were evident on the stored file while browsing on scan files. that makes me to investigate on the reason and I clearly found it out that defective plugging of encoder is the main cause and I never tried it again:-).
The second time that I saw that was on an Omniscan MX2 device using the same type of encoder but with an additional encoder adapter. the same noise was evident then and the most simple ways to fix it was to replug the cable at adapter connection or just to tap on it.

Ali

Ali Chaboki

Ali Chaboki

TUV NORD,
Iran,
Joined May 2013
17:36 Dec-20-2013

Dear Swadesh
To be frank, I find it out practically and I have no reasonable description for this phenomenon.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1254

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
19:22 Dec-20-2013
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 01:40 Dec-20-2013 .

I think Joe has made a good observation. All we see is what appears to be electrical noise on the timebase of SOME of the upper angles on a single S-scan. A single S-scan is not adequate to make a specific identification of a noise source. It has many sources; RF pick-up, faulty grounding, welders or grinders working on the component, as well as position encoders. The place to identify (and resolve) the source of electrical noise is on the work-site, not by musing over a single S-scan long after the data was collected. Trying to isolate the source of noise can be a time-consuming process of elimination of the many options. An interesting source of noise on a project was moisture in the probe-connector box. When the scanner was upside down water contacted the connections and cause noise. When the scanner moved up to the sides or top of the weld, the water moved away from the contacts and no noise!

Ali
NDT Inspector,
Iran, Joined Mar 2013, 93

Ali

NDT Inspector,
Iran,
Joined Mar 2013
07:48 Dec-21-2013

Mikel
Also check the splitter and charger connection if you are using.
If the probe frequency is 5 MHz it is better to switch to 2 or 2.5 MHz probe to get more penetration and lower gain for TCG for 136 mm thickness.

Ilke Savas Uzun
Ilke Savas Uzun
06:28 Dec-24-2013

Practical solution: I can stick playdoo or chewing gum top end section of the probe and wedge assembly and reduce the prf a little bit..
Merry Christmas

Product Spotlight

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window