where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Career Discussions
justin
NDT Inspector, supervisor
USA, Joined Jan 2014, 1

justin

NDT Inspector, supervisor
USA,
Joined Jan 2014
16:35 Jan-13-2014
ndt level 2 payscale usa?

I am currently a level 2 per snt tc 1 a in house for rt mt pt and uts. I supervise teo rt crews at a raipcar facility where I work closely with the costumer and my crews. I also keep track of calibrations and inventory for this plant. I have been in the industry since 2007 I am a state carded trainer in both ram and xray. What would a good pay level be for someone with my certs and experiance. I beleive I'm underpaid right now.

john
john
20:54 Jan-13-2014
Re: ndt level 2 payscale usa?
In Reply to justin at 16:35 Jan-13-2014 (Opening).

That depends on multiple things
Employment type: Shops always/ almost always pay less than a service company
Type of work: in my experience, the petrochemical side generally pays more but not always
Location, Location, Location: your geographical location in the US is the primary factor to pay scales.
Also, the more rare and desirable certs that you have in conjunction with desirable skill sets that you may possess, the more money that you can earn.
In my years and locations and industries, i have seen and heard of ranges of under 10/hr to well over 50per
have also known many people making well into to six-figures at 20/hr working very hard for lots of hrs

Albert
Other, ASNT NDT Level III (MT, PT, UT and ET )
Aviation, USA, Joined Jun 2012, 140

Albert

Other, ASNT NDT Level III (MT, PT, UT and ET )
Aviation,
USA,
Joined Jun 2012
06:10 Jan-14-2014
In Reply to justin at 16:35 Jan-13-2014 (Opening).

You can check PQNDT they have a salary survey.

You can also apply at similar jobs and see what they offer for compensation, benefits etc...

Its unfortunate but in the US you have to move out to move up in pay.

Oh and if you've been at it for over 4 years as a level 2 why not try to study for and take the ASNT Level III. There are 2 places in Texas (Houston and Austin) where you can take the tests at.

Michael Fitzpatrick
NDT Inspector,
AWS CWI, NDE Services, shutdown / TA, pipeline integrity, USA, Joined Jan 2012, 6

Michael Fitzpatrick

NDT Inspector,
AWS CWI, NDE Services, shutdown / TA, pipeline integrity,
USA,
Joined Jan 2012
05:56 Jan-21-2014
In Reply to john at 20:54 Jan-13-2014 .

Justin,

I am working pipeline and can tell you that most companies do not have a set pay scale. Its what you will take and whether you are in a position to wait it out for a better rate.

Members,

I'm interested in hearing from members regarding their take on NACE certification, Cathodic Protection track and Corrosion track. Any NACE LVL II techs out there?

1. Would you say CP NACE track is a good road to take if you want to jump to the client side?

2. If anyone has a general feel for the landscape from the client side, would you hire a guy from an NDE service company who is attaining NACE certifications?

Thanks

DavidB
DavidB
17:50 Jan-28-2014
In Reply to Michael Fitzpatrick at 05:56 Jan-21-2014 .

Service companies are interested in your billable vs non-billable ratio. 100% billable is optimum of course. Any type of industry that has to do with energy (coal, natural gas, petroleum) will pay more than structural steel or manufacturing, simply for the fact that the former companies have a huge profit margin.

From what I have observed in the Ohio/Kentucky/Illinois region, here are the basic pay rates:
RT1, MT2, PT2, UTT=$10-14/hr
RT2, MT2, PT2, UTT=$14-22/hr
RT2, UTS2, MT2, PT2=$16-24/hr

Advanced certifications that allow you to be more billable or billable at a higher rate will put you in the low $20s/hr. The more volumetric testing techniques that you are certified (and proficient) in, the more valuable you are.

Just because I was interested in it, I pursued the corrosion route through NACE. The only benefit it brought was a bit more job satisfaction and an appreciation by some customers, which in the end made me 100% billable. But there was no direct pay increase.

On a side note, I do think that NDT technicians should unionize and go through a program similar to that of union welders. It would help the wages to be more appropriate for such a complex technical field, and it would also supply the desperately needed technical training that so many NDT technicians lack.

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window