where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.
Technical Discussions
Derek
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Oct 2008, 8

Derek

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Oct 2008
15:21 Feb-04-2014
Fabrication of Reference Blocks

Hello,

MY name is Derek Coleman and I am inquiring about the verification of custom fabricated reference standards in accordance with industry standards for ultrasonic inspection. At our facility it is a common need for us to manufacture our our own reference standards for customer applications to minimize the cost and lead time using a third party. This has since created an inventory of over 2000 custom reference standards for specific applications and require verification of dimensions and response characteristics for each specimen.

I would like to continue our verifications using the guidlines of E428 and E127 as they apply for each specimen. We use CNC machines for producing Flat Bottom Hole (FBH), nothes and Side Drilled Hole(SDH) specimens. Verification of the bottom of the hole can be difficult due to diameter and depth. E428 outlines creating replicas and measuring the replica of the machined hole. Are there any acceptable alternatives for measuring reference blocks using signal response or other means?

I look forward to reading your responses and continuing this opportunity with the community.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 869

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
20:23 Feb-04-2014
Re: Fabrication of Reference Blocks
In Reply to Derek at 15:21 Feb-04-2014 (Opening).

Derek,

When I was in a similar situation, I used to send my blocks out to be certified by an outside agency. This provided me we a certificate of coliance and also no one could question the dimension of the block and if they did, I had something to back me up.

In your case, if you want to measure the depth of your SDH or FBH, I suggest using a rod OD the same size or slightly smaller than the hole diameter. Confirm the length of the rod and using an accurate mean of measurement, measure from the block surface to the end of the rod and do the appropriate calculation to obtain your depth.

Hope this is of help.

Phil Herman
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman

Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
21:06 Feb-04-2014

Derek, as you may already know, many reference standards manufacturers are willing to perform NIST-traceable dimensional verification of standards produced in-house or by others. ASTM E127, E428 and most specifications are clear on the mechanical features and tolerances required and I doubt that anything other than good metrology methods would be acceptable.

Derek
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Oct 2008, 8

Derek

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Oct 2008
13:30 Feb-05-2014
In Reply to Phil Herman at 21:06 Feb-04-2014 .

Thank you for your response. We are able to inspect many of the physical attributes of the standards ourselves, but are limited in some aspects.

When Codes specify that standards are to be fabricated in accordance with the E428, or another specification but the standard being produced cannot fit the description, such as ring segments. Are there other recommended guidelines to follow?

Albert
Other, ASNT NDT Level III (MT, PT, UT and ET )
Aviation, USA, Joined Jun 2012, 140

Albert

Other, ASNT NDT Level III (MT, PT, UT and ET )
Aviation,
USA,
Joined Jun 2012
04:13 Feb-06-2014
In Reply to Derek at 13:30 Feb-05-2014 .

I would also like to add that you should order the material with a material cert as to what it is.

Also, if you are using calibrated measuring tools, id just write a procedure or report for each stating the material, listing the cert, and identifying the calibrated tools used and how you did it.

I posted in an earlier thread a ling to a PDF on the manufacture of NDT standards.

If you cant find it let me know and i will look for it and post it again.

Derek
NDT Inspector,
USA, Joined Oct 2008, 8

Derek

NDT Inspector,
USA,
Joined Oct 2008
18:21 Feb-24-2014

Once again, thank you all for the replies. I am looking specifcally as to how the physical attributes of the holes are measured, e.g. equipment, materials, etc. I dont wish to interfere with anyones business, but would like a better understanding of what equipment or process verifications are performed to measure the requirements of E428. If you cannot directly give guidance on this I understand, but if you are able to send me references who would be able it would be appreciated.

Product Spotlight

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window