where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
About NDT.net
Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 616

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
12:56 Mar-06-2014
Why and How NDT should go Open Access

Here is potential for much more growth of Open Access in NDT!

In this month's issue we are focusing on a hot topic "Open Access in NDT".
With this forum post I would like to open a room for sharing thoughts on this subject.
Also I would welcome any comments on the editorials from me and Dr. Rainer Link, published here:
www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=15450&content=1
www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=15451&content=1

I would appreciate to hearing from you!

Rolf

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1300

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:32 Mar-07-2014
Re: Why and How NDT should go Open Access
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 12:56 Mar-06-2014 (Opening).

Rolf, one of Dr. Link's comments is, I think, the most pertinent aspect of OA to the participants of any conference; " the needs of the delegates (speakers) to spread their work as wide as possible". Circulating a hardcopy of the paper presented to the attendees is perhaps a nice memento of the conference, but the concern of the presenter would be to reach as many people as possible that might be able to make use of their findings.
I often find myself looking for some aspect of information on NDT or materials by an online search and now rarely go to the university library to make these same searches. Sometimes the search turns up several "potentially useful" papers. However, these are often on a pay-per-view site. It is most annoying when I pay $20-$30 for the paper to be downloaded only to find that its contents did not have what I was looking for. In addition to providing a large audience for any papers we publish, having an OA site like NDT.net ultimately saves time and money as we do our literature searches that usually accompany the preparation of technical papers.

David Mackintosh
Engineering,
Acuren Group Inc., Canada, Joined Feb 2011, 85

David Mackintosh

Engineering,
Acuren Group Inc.,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2011
23:28 Mar-10-2014

Rolf, I have always been impressed that NDT.net is run — successfully — on goodwill and openness rather than by fees for membership or for "premium" features. Since technical information is available instantly, even during a phone call, projects can get started sooner and with better information. This applies especially to NDT where the technology is new or uncertain. Also, my customers can in turn do background reading to make sure I am giving them the best service!

Perhaps, because there is no charge for the information, someone is missing out on the publishing profits; but industry as a whole benefits, and as Ed said above, the presenters certainly benefit. In fact some professionals may be more likely to present at a conference that practices Open Access, knowing that the paper will be made available worldwide to many different potential customers.

I think of the many ASNT conferences I have been to — and they are always packed with excellent papers and information — and how hard it is for anyone not at the conference to find and download those papers. After the conference is over, most papers become in practice dead to the world. (If you wish, you can buy a $25 CD for one conference at a time from ASNT.org.)

To summarize the benefits of your site, I would say "Cooperation is competitive."

David

Sajeesh BABU
Sajeesh BABU
12:44 Mar-12-2014

Dear Rolf

Its great to get the information shared with more audiences, we as a learning society would need to spread the information to our NDTians, Open access information is the great thing in this world, Sharing knowledge is our objective within NDTSS, Singapore.
NDTSS President

As a ICNDT General Secretary, I would take your open comments raised in our next executive meeting, Appreciate if you could formally write to my email.
www.ndtss.org.sg

ICNDT has policies prepared & followed over years, and we are continually reviewing our policies and procedures. We keep in mind we are non profit organization. We are in support of information & knowledge sharing. You could see our strategic plan published in our ICNDT website.
I will look into our OP's and see where we are addressing on open access & put forward to the Board upon your request.

Regards
S K Babu
ICNDT General Secretary

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 616

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
22:27 Mar-18-2014
In Reply to Sajeesh BABU at 12:44 Mar-12-2014 .

Vision in 1998 at www.ndt.net/home/ndt_pub/about.php

Dear S K Babu,

Thank you for your so positive feedback on Open Access and also for the invitation for a formal letter to the ICNDT to be discussed in the next executive meeting.

Objectives that you said already one can read in statements of many NDT societies, like "to create a safer world by promoting the profession and technologies of nondestructive testing." Another example that actually can support Open Access ideas one can read in ASNT's Strategic Objectives:
"6. Grow ASNT through partnership with industry, government, professional organizations and educational institutions."
I believe it would be a great benefit for the whole NDT community that NDT societies making partnership for the grow of an Open Access repository like here in NDT.net is already established. The principle of Open Access is a mutual repository and that can be logical never be done by one organization. Today we have many individual Open Access Journals even publishing articles in the field of NDT and peer-reviewed. I have doubt if one can find its content by Google search. In the March issue you see examples of NDT&E and other published here in NDT.net database. These articles have stamped the Creative Common License (CC BY 3.0) to make sure that being wide spread published. I personal support this method.

On the other hand one can read in ASNT's objectives:
"3. Be a premier provider of NDT/NDI/NDE/NDC information including publications, references, archives, training and conferences." I am wondering if other societies have similar objectives like "being a premier provider"? But doesn't this stands in conflict to the Open Access idea?

In this context, David Makintosh mentioned in his post the $25 CD for ASNT proceedings. I think David wants to show that this little value cannot be an argument against Open Access, however, look at the value that Open Access can have in relation to the lost of life and damage that NDT can prevent.

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing fruitful results.

Rolf

Vijayaraghavan, G.K
Teacher, Consultant
Dhaanish Ahmed College of Engineering, India, Joined Feb 2011, 21

Vijayaraghavan, G.K

Teacher, Consultant
Dhaanish Ahmed College of Engineering,
India,
Joined Feb 2011
08:11 Mar-21-2014

Dear Rolf,
I have gone through the link mentioned in your thread. I have been observing for the past one decade regarding Open Access publication. It has been observed that the number of OA journals, conference proceedings and magazines are in increasing trend day-by-day. The main reason is the advantages of publishing in OA such as number of hits / references, speedy processing, lower cost, ease of search of information etc. Hard copy circulation involves limited access, huge cost and also as mentioned by Ed Ginzel most of the time the abstract of a paper does not reflect the relevant information what we are looking. I strongly agree to go for OA publishing as far as possible. NDT & E Conference organizers and journal publishers should come forward to publish their proceedings OA so that we can overcome the difficulties of Hard copy publications. I would like to appreciate the efforts taken by the NDT.net in this regard.

Domingo Mery
R & D,
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Chile, Joined Mar 2002, 1

Domingo Mery

R & D,
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile,
Chile,
Joined Mar 2002
22:03 Mar-26-2014

Dear Rolf, there are many communities around the world that share their scholarly research using an Open Access platform. For instance the community of Computer Vision has the "Computer Vision Foundation" (http://www.cv-foundation.org/openaccess/menu.py) in order to "to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work". I think this is an excellent practice, and I am very proud of the way NDT.net is giving open access for the whole NDT community. Why? I think there are at least four reasons: 1) Researchers can spread very quickly what they are doing. 2) The NDT community can know very fast how R & D is performed by other NDT colleagues. 3) The NDT industry can include innovate rapidly having more access to the state of the art. 4) We can help developing countries by sharing information. Domingo

Michael Bushnell
NDT Inspector, Paramedic, Health Coach
Industrial Conveyor Manufacturer, USA, Joined May 2015, 4

Michael Bushnell

NDT Inspector, Paramedic, Health Coach
Industrial Conveyor Manufacturer,
USA,
Joined May 2015
15:18 Jun-04-2015

I am a very new member and had the opportunity to post, I was answered in a very short time and I very much appreciated it. I am also a member of a Metrology forum and while being a member I am somewhat hesitant to post due to the sarcasm others receive from their posts. But pertaining to the question of an open forum as mentioned, I really don't think I would be able to find the information I need without a very exhaustive search. I do agree that a lot of published work is lost once a conference is done so an open forum seems to be the best way to keep pertinent information alive and available.

Product Spotlight

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Research and Application Development For NDT

Acuren’s Research and Application Development specializes in the development of advanced ultraso
nic inspection techniques and systems for challenging inspection applications, with an emphasis on practical solutions which are field deployable. Services include manual and automated ultrasonic inspection system development, inspection technique optimization using laboratory scale studies and ultrasonic modeling (CIVA, BeamTool), preparing technical justification for technique evaluation and qualification (Probability of Detection and sizing accuracy studies), inspection/calibration/analysis procedure preparation to support field deployment of custom techniques, and development of custom imaging algorithms to support challenging inspection applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window