where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology
Career Discussions
Jorge
Engineering,
Center for Enginering and Industrial Development, Mexico, Joined Apr 2014, 4

Jorge

Engineering,
Center for Enginering and Industrial Development,
Mexico,
Joined Apr 2014
18:22 Apr-30-2014
NAS 410 Certification

Hello.

I am certified as ASNT Level III (UT). I want to get a level III certification per NAS 410. Anyone knows What is the best way to obtain this certificate?.

Thank you very much for your support.

Tim
Tim
20:00 Apr-30-2014
Re: NAS 410 Certification
In Reply to Jorge at 18:22 Apr-30-2014 (Opening).

NAS410 "Certification" is "a written statement by an employer that an individual has met the applicable requirements of this standard."

It is an employer certification and not a third party certification. It cannot be moved, or used, from one employer to another.

Jorge
Engineering,

Jorge

Engineering,
Mexico,
Joined Apr 2014
00:51 May-07-2014
In Reply to Tim at 20:00 Apr-30-2014 .

Really.

I think a employer certification simplifies the certification process. It is similar to SNT-TC-1A, where the practical and specific requirements have to be fulfilled acording the employer needs.

Thank you very much.

Rafid O. Lopez
, NDT Level 3
Mexico, Joined Jan 2010, 81

Rafid O. Lopez

, NDT Level 3
Mexico,
Joined Jan 2010
18:02 May-07-2014
In Reply to Jorge at 00:51 May-07-2014 .

The NAS410 Certification can be a third party certification if you use a NANDTB to administer all of the qualification and certification process.

Jorge
Engineering,

Jorge

Engineering,
Mexico,
Joined Apr 2014
22:29 May-07-2014
In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 18:02 May-07-2014 .

Now I am confused. NAS 410 is it an employer certification, or is it a third party certification, or maybe both?. Some people just take a specific and practical examination to obtain a NAS 410 certification (they use ASNT or SNT-TC-1A to fulfill some requirements). Other people go to Europe to use a NANDTB to administer all of the qualification and certification process. Now I have two options to get NAS 410 certification. My next question will be Which one is better?.

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 868

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
01:37 May-08-2014
In Reply to Jorge at 22:29 May-07-2014 .

Jorge,

Nothing to be confuse about. NAS410 is an employer certification similar to STN-TC-1A that is used in the aircraft industry. So anyone inspecting aircraft related parts will certify their employees to that certification.

Amy
NDT Inspector, - -
USA, Joined Jan 2009, 87

Amy

NDT Inspector, - -
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
13:43 May-08-2014

Jorge,
Yes, you are correct. It can be issued by employer or third party. One of the main differences between NAS 410 and SNT-TC-1A is that NAS 410 is not optional, all of the requirements must be met opposed to TC-1A that is a recommended practice; you can pick and choose the requirements according to the company's written practice. NAS 410 requires a different number of training and experience hours and testing on aerospace parts, making ASNT certification unacceptable (except the general exam) for meeting the requirements. If you meet the requirements of NAS 410, the employer can certify you according to the standard. Even if a NANDBT is used (as in Europe), or an outside vendor, as I use, the employer must accept that certification. Since a NANDBT is not common in the Americas, chances are you will still have to certify to an employer's program since the employer’s written practice must be met, and it is likely testing programs are already put in place for certification of personnel for most aerospace companies. My advice would be to ensure you meet all the requirements of the standard in the methods you wish to certify, have it well documented, and take the employers cert. It will save you time and money.

Jorge
Engineering,

Jorge

Engineering,
Mexico,
Joined Apr 2014
01:03 May-09-2014
In Reply to Amy at 13:43 May-08-2014 .

Amy. Thank you very much for so outstanding explanation. Thank you all for your opinions. I think now I have a good understanding on this issue to begin a certification process.

JOrge

Teodorescu Anamaria
Teodorescu Anamaria
04:13 Mar-05-2015

Hello Amy,
Let's say somebody got his/her ASNT UT Level III certification in 2014....and need to be certified NAS 410 Level III too...
As per Nas 410....for Level III:
-General examination
-Specific examination ( for all levels minimum 30 questions)
_Practical examiantion---write a procedure/ work instructions + if he /her inspect parts a hands-on practical examiantion equivalent to Level II
-vision test
ASNT certifications.fullfield the General examination and let's say someone...got this last year-2014..Also if this person were 2 years ago recertified to Level II ....could the employer accepted these Specific and Practical examinations....as done....and good for another..3 years...???
Also if this person already done in the last 4 years...procedures, tech sheet....etc....to considerd this task complete....and get his/her NAS 410 Level 3 certification???
Thanks....Ana...from Canada...

J RAJESHWAR
J RAJESHWAR
02:12 Mar-02-2017
In Reply to Michel Couture at 01:37 May-08-2014 .

Dear All,

Seeking a clarification.

If an individual is certified in ASNT as L-III in a certain method, can a company based only on his ASNT L-III qualification certify him as NAS 410 L-III in the same method.
Or, does he have to pass some qualifying exams and Test.
If yes who is authorised to conduct such test .

If a company after being satisfied does certify him as L-III in NAS 410, can that individual use that company Authorisation to claim a L-III NAS 410 supervisor post in another company.

charles Lee
charles Lee
23:46 Mar-06-2017

NAS 410 is employer certification based in US. The NANDT board can only be used in countries that have a recognized board. The US does not. China does for example. The countries that do are countries that have a recognized board are generally those that have central certification.

So you cannot go somewhere and take a central certification for NAS 410 and use it in your country.

Alisa
Alisa
11:42 Jun-29-2017
In Reply to Jorge at 18:22 Apr-30-2014 (Opening).

Dear All,

Hi...I want to be certified in level III (PT) as per NAS 410. Kindly suggest any three institute with contact email where i can do it.Furthur suggest such countries where visa can be get easily.

Regards

Michael James
Michael James
10:07 Jul-06-2017

Hi,

Please suggest me an institute in Leonardtown, Maryland with the contact details.

Thank You

James Scalf
NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity, Canada, Joined Oct 2012, 274

James Scalf

NDT Inspector,
Global Integrity,
Canada,
Joined Oct 2012
15:12 Jul-06-2017
In Reply to Michael James at 10:07 Jul-06-2017 .

To all posting about locating a training course to certify to a level 3 under NAS 410 may I suggest you read the standard first.

The Responsible Level 3 is appointed by the employer

Paragraph 4.4.1 of NAS 410 states for a Responsible Level 3 -

"The employer shall identify in writing a “Responsible Level 3” to act on its behalf in matters regarding the NDT qualification and certification process. The Responsible Level 3 shall be certified in accordance with this standard as a Level 3 in one or more NDT methods and shall have a thorough knowledge of the written instructions, codes, specifications and standards used by the employer. He/she shall also have a thorough knowledge of the materials, components, product technologies, NDT methods and NDT techniques used by the employer. Additional Examiners as defined in this standard may be identified and delegated in writing as necessary to provide coverage for all methods used by the employer. The Responsible Level 3 may be an outside agency but in this case he/she can only qualify personnel, as only the employer can certify personnel. The Responsible level 3 shall be responsible for implementation of this standard and the overall administration of the qualification and certification program."

This passage is very similar to the EN-4179.

Again I strongly recommend that if you are looking to become "Level 3" under NAS 410, or any other certification standard for that matter, that you read the certification standard first. Cheers...

James

Trinath Mukherjee
Trinath Mukherjee
12:34 Nov-22-2017

Hi i m trinath mukherjee from INDIA.I don't know where will I get nas-410 Level-2 training.Can you plz guide me.my email is mukherjee.trinath@gmail.com need your valuable knowledge and concerns..please give me a mail.

iftikhar ali
iftikhar ali
05:36 Feb-19-2018
In Reply to Rafid O. Lopez at 18:02 May-07-2014 .

Dear Sir,
Can you guide me is there any school/institution in Italy/Singapore/Germany or china where level 3 PT per NAS 410 and also listed in Boeing approval processor list D1-4426.
I am graduate chemical engineer and level 2 PT per NAS 410 working in an airline in Pakistan.

Kevin Gutierrez
Kevin Gutierrez
17:01 Nov-21-2019
In Reply to Trinath Mukherjee at 12:34 Nov-22-2017 .

Hi, Im already with your same question, did you get any guide to follow the process to get a NAS410 certification under a Level 2 NDT (Im actually UT).
Regards2

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Eddy Current inspection : RotoETscan Rotating Head

The rotating head RotoETscan detects the presence of longitudinal surface or sub surface defects a
t high speed. The rotating head is often installed directly on the production line. It is generally dedicated to the control of long products such as tubes, bars and wires, made of ferrous or non-ferrous material. It can also be used for inspection of small parts (billets).
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window