where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology
Technical Discussions
j&j
Spain, Joined Jul 2014, 2

j&j

Spain,
Joined Jul 2014
13:36 Jul-31-2014
ToFD Indications HELP
zoom image

Dear all.

i'm having some problems trying to understand what are those indications.
As you can see they are under LW and over Cladding and looks very straight, also you can find some indications in mode converted zone...
Could anyone help me? What could it be?
Thank you all.

Nigel Armstrong
Nigel Armstrong
18:33 Jul-31-2014
Re: ToFD Indications HELP
In Reply to j&j at 13:36 Jul-31-2014 (Opening).

Please give some test conditions, nature of test piece, TOFD set-up, thickness of cladding.

Martin
Martin
21:15 Jul-31-2014

Laminations in the parent material.

j&j
Spain, Joined Jul 2014, 2

j&j

Spain,
Joined Jul 2014
22:16 Jul-31-2014
In Reply to Nigel Armstrong at 18:33 Jul-31-2014 .

Dear all, thanks for your answers.
This is a test of a pressure vessel, which is in service. It has a nominal thickness of steel and cladding 23 +6. the bezel is double K and the welding process is SMAW. ToFD configuration is 5mhz, with diameter 3 to 66%. also noted that the scanning surface is irregular, having small cavitation corrosion.

I thought about lamination, but this kind of image is repeated in different welds.

Thank you all.

Gokul Hrishikesh
NDT Inspector, PCN UT Level 3
India, Joined Jul 2013, 73

Gokul Hrishikesh

NDT Inspector, PCN UT Level 3
India,
Joined Jul 2013
20:42 Aug-01-2014
In Reply to j&j at 22:16 Jul-31-2014 .

J,

I can almost read 2nd and 3rd image.

The indication is so parallel to the surface and I am sure it should be a lamination.
We cannot see any data such as how long, how much you have zoomed it in the scan direction.
The weld as I see there is good, of all the welding process I came across I never found a defect so parallel to surface in the weld volume... there is lamination in parent material.
Check it with a T/R probe.
Who knows the other welds you scanned might had a laminations in parent material.
I would suggest to check them all for Laminations if possible... Seek advise from your Level3!

Regards,
Gokul

mark
mark
07:18 Aug-02-2014
In Reply to Gokul Hrishikesh at 20:42 Aug-01-2014 .

For me images 1 and 2 1st is look Likes inter run lof in the root area.in double v joint after gouging and welding of root, this indication will appear.

Regards
Mark

Michael Rotondella
NDT Inspector, Welding Inspector
Applus RTD, Australia, Joined Dec 2012, 1

Michael Rotondella

NDT Inspector, Welding Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2012
11:43 Aug-07-2014

Hi,

I have come across this a few times before. Every time i have come across this it has been specific to the vessel shell and usually occurs with thicker shell plates. Aligned rolling inclusions very parallel to the surface. I think it has to do with the fabrication of the vessel shell. If you take a normal 0 degree probe and place it on the shell away from the weld you will probably find these small amp inclusions all over the vessel at about midway through the plate. They will most likely be all at the same depth.

carlos correia
R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP, Venezuela, Joined Oct 2008, 120

carlos correia

R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP,
Venezuela,
Joined Oct 2008
03:10 Aug-08-2014
In Reply to Michael Rotondella at 11:43 Aug-07-2014 .

try with 2 MHz...

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

ISONIC 3510

Very Powerful Superior Performance Extremely Portable Smart Phased Array Ultrasonic Flaw Detector an
d Recorder with 2 Conventional UT and TOFD Channels uniquely combines PA, single- and multi-channel conventional UT, and TOFD modalities providing 100% raw data recording and imaging. Suitable for all kinds of every-day ultrasonic inspections
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window