where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Michael Williams
Michael Williams
12:41 Jul-30-2014
IQI (when to use 2 on a single graph?)

Hi,
Im hoping someone can help me out. I've looked through asme viii and asme v and it tells you how to place the IQI (perpendicular to the weld) but it doesn't tell you where to place it (i.e one in the middle or 1 at either end of the graph). I was hoping someone could verify this for me?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Mike

Tim
Tim
14:41 Jul-30-2014
Re: IQI (when to use 2 on a single graph?)
In Reply to Michael Williams at 12:41 Jul-30-2014 (Opening).

Keep in mind that the use of IQI is to prove sensitivity in the Area Of Interest. It is generally a good idea to prove at the middle and near the end of the AOI.

Also, more than one may be needed if a shim is necessary when using penetrameter vs. wire.

jaimin
NDT Inspector, NDT LeveL-III @ UIC, KSA
Saudi Arabia, Joined Dec 2012, 100

jaimin

NDT Inspector, NDT LeveL-III @ UIC, KSA
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
07:42 Jul-31-2014

Dear micjael,

1. as i know it shall be placed where radiation is reaching less( of course at the end of segment of your film).
2. asme also specify that u have to put 2 iqi when there is lot change in density to find that whether sensitivity achived or not.

regards,
jaimin patel

Michael Williams
Michael Williams
13:01 Jul-31-2014
In Reply to jaimin at 07:42 Jul-31-2014 .

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I'm using 10x40 films so I'll put one on either end

Dave Dent
NDT Inspector,
Nigeria, Joined Jan 2014, 2

Dave Dent

NDT Inspector,
Nigeria,
Joined Jan 2014
15:43 Aug-04-2014
In Reply to Michael Williams at 13:01 Jul-31-2014 .

When you place the IQI on the film, make sure that they are with in 25mm of the DFL and the thinnest wire is to the outside

Narasimha Rao
Narasimha Rao
07:43 Aug-05-2014

Hi Michael,

you didn't mentioned which type of IQI you are going to use,in case if you are using wire type IQI for weld joint IQI shall be kept across the weld 1/8 inch away from the weld edge.

If you are using hole type IQI shall be kept parallel to the weld and 1/8 inch away from weld edge.
In panoramic technique we need to use 4IQI 90degrees apart.
If thickness difference more then more than 1 IQI is required.
When the density varies from the location IQI by greater than (-15% to 30%) then another IQI is required.

Regards,
M.Narasimha Rao
NDT Engineer
INDIA.

Product Spotlight

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window