where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

AT-Automation Technology GmbH
AT -Automation Technology is a systems house for industrial image processing. AT offers thermographic ndt systems as well as high-speed 3D sensors.
Technical Discussions
Nirav Dave
NDT Inspector,
Company, India, Joined Jul 2014, 11

Nirav Dave

NDT Inspector,
Company,
India,
Joined Jul 2014
12:01 Nov-15-2014
ROTA UT - Immersion testing

Dear Friends

i have worked on ROTA machine. In ROTA there is no scale given for angulation of the probe holder. it is very difficult every time to set the angle and get the repeat-ability of the test results.

Please guide if any solution is available for the same.

Rgs
Nirav

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
16:10 Nov-15-2014
Re: ROTA UT - Immersion testing
In Reply to Nirav Dave at 12:01 Nov-15-2014 (Opening).

Nirav, i have worked on a variety of tubing inspection setups. Angulation of a beam MAY be required for either the longitudinal or the circumferential direction, depending on the specification you are working to. In the longitudinal direction the probe holder is usually configured with a fixed angle of incidence that produces a nominal refracted angle around 45°. However, the angle of a beam in the circumferential direction is not so easily achieved since the diameter of the tube and the incident point on the tube determine the "nominal" beam angle. It would be far more appropriate to introduce an angled circumferential beam by first peaking the response from perpendicular incidence and then offsetting the probe by an amount calculated to produce the nominal refracted angle (typically we used 1/6 the diameter as the offset). In very thin tubing you will probably find that the so-called refracted angle is moot since some of the wall thickness being tested is approximately the wavelength of the pulse and the dimension of the beam entering a small diameter tube provides an arc instead of a plane wavefront.

Nirav Dave
NDT Inspector,
Company, India, Joined Jul 2014, 11

Nirav Dave

NDT Inspector,
Company,
India,
Joined Jul 2014
04:51 Nov-17-2014
Re: ROTA UT - Immersion testing
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 16:10 Nov-15-2014 .

Thank you Ed Ginzel

well as per mine few UT equipment use offset method with fixed angle while few equipment use angulation not offset method. we are now using ROTA equipment without any fixed angle. moreover there is not fixed scale only provision is given for angulation without any scale on the probe holder and that is the reason we are getting difficulties in setting up the correct angle.

alternate way is to find out half and full-v path on the time base and to set the signal of the reference notch at a particular location. my difficulties every time set up takes more time.

Other problem i am facing is water pressure of ROTA. when i am setting an angle in static condition probe detects reference notches with good S/N ratio but during dynamic condition water flow & other echoes observed on the gate area which crosses the threshold frequently as a result false rejection.

could you please help how to set the machine ? manufacturer said only trial and error and skill required few time. while i dont agree with the same.

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window