where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ACS-Solutions GmbH
The priority of the company is to design and create highly technological equipment, for professional users. Aiming to reach the devices top techn ...
Technical Discussions
Victor Nieto
Engineering, Inspection Engineer / Technical Management Consultant
Vepica, Venezuela, Joined Dec 2014, 6

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
15:07 Dec-12-2014
Searching for Guided Waves Testing (GWT) standars, papers and technical information

Dear NDT forum my name is Victor Nieto, i'm a materials engineer student from Venezuela and i'm currently working on my research intership (dissertation intership) in a NDT company who does UT. Their main approach is inspection of oil and gas pipes for the national oil company: Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), this company is requesting Guided waves testing on their pipe lines (above and underground). My project is to study this tecnique in order to determine if is worth investing in a GWT equipment due the fact that this equipment is quiet expensive. I'm struggling to find technical information about this tecnique, particulary Standars (ASME, BSI, ASTM...). Any contribution or commentary will be highly apreciated. Thanks in advance for your time
Best Regards
Victor Nieto

Nicholas Bublitz
Other, Phased Array Analysist
VeriPhase, USA, Joined May 2010, 129

Nicholas Bublitz

VeriPhase,
USA,
Joined May 2010
16:09 Dec-12-2014
Re: Searching for Guided Waves Testing (GWT) standars, papers and technical information
In Reply to Victor Nieto at 15:07 Dec-12-2014 (Opening).

Victor

Nick from Olympus
On our website we have a dedicated page to our UltraWave LRT system. Here among other things you will find links to multimedia including a Webinar I did. At the end of the Webinar is a list of related standards and codes. It appears around the 53 minute if you want to forward to that part of the video. Another thing to try is searching Google scholarly which returns many interesting results. Both url are below for your convenience.

http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ultrawave/

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_sdt=1,44&q=guided+wave+testing&hl=en&as_vis=1

Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
16:29 Dec-12-2014
Re: Searching for Guided Waves Testing (GWT) standars, papers and technical information
In Reply to Nicholas Bublitz at 16:09 Dec-12-2014 .

Nick
Thanks for this information, i'm going to watch the Webinar and check the results from google scholarly as well. I've a question: does the UltraWave LRT transductors of the collar ring works using a piezoelectric effect or they work with magnetoestrictive transduction? i'm focusing my research on the piezoelectric effect transductors but there is no limitation regarding the client specification for that matter.
Best regards and thank you for your time Nick.
Victor Nieto

Roberto Otero
Engineering,
OMEGA SERVICIOS SPA, Chile, Joined Aug 2004, 15

Roberto Otero

Engineering,
OMEGA SERVICIOS SPA,
Chile,
Joined Aug 2004
17:44 Dec-12-2014

Hi Víctor!

Try to find the following standards:
BS 9690 - 1:2011
BS 9690 - 2:2011

Good Luck!

Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
19:28 Dec-12-2014
In Reply to Roberto Otero at 17:44 Dec-12-2014 .

Mr Roberto Otero
Thanks for the information, I found the BSI standars reference on a paper posted on the NDT website regarding ultrasonic testing "Non-Invasive Monitoring Strategies for Engineering Structures Using Guided Waves" however it's particulary dificult for me to get this standars due the fact that i've to pay for them. This standars might have the information i need and i will try to find them but it sure is tricky. Does this standars discuss the technique for underground pipes and pipelines? Thanks for your time
Best Regards
Victor Nieto

Roberto Otero
Engineering,
OMEGA SERVICIOS SPA, Chile, Joined Aug 2004, 15

Roberto Otero

Engineering,
OMEGA SERVICIOS SPA,
Chile,
Joined Aug 2004
19:58 Dec-12-2014
In Reply to Victor Nieto at 19:28 Dec-12-2014 .

Hi Victor:
Currently, BS 9690, Non-destructive testing – Guided wave testing, comprises the
following parts.
Part 1: General guidance and principles.
Part 2: Basic requirements for guided wave testing of pipes, pipelines and
structural tubulars.
As a guide, this part of BS 9690 takes the form of guidance and
recommendations.
There is plenty of information about Guided Waves Technique here in www.ndt.net.
I would recommend starting with the next book:

Ultrasonic Waves in Solid Media
Dr. Joseph L. Rose

I hope it helps.
Roberto

Nicholas Bublitz
VeriPhase, USA, Joined May 2010, 129

Nicholas Bublitz

VeriPhase,
USA,
Joined May 2010
20:25 Dec-12-2014
In Reply to Victor Nieto at 16:29 Dec-12-2014 .

Victor-
The UltraWave is strictly a piezoelectric based system.

best regards

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 609

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
21:12 Dec-12-2014

You can find 6 video talks about guided waves here:

http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?MediaType=3&SearchDocs=guided&restrict=titles

Since you are from Venezuela you may like the following talk in Spanish from the PANNDT 2011 conference:

Inspection of pipes using Guided Waves: state of the art
A. Demma, D. Alleyne
Guided Ultrasonics Limited, London [United Kingdom]
http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?id=11205&content=1

Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
21:26 Dec-12-2014
In Reply to Rolf Diederichs at 21:12 Dec-12-2014 .

Thank you very much Mr. Diederichs i will watch them, thanks for the information in spanish as well.
Best Regards
Victor Nieto

R. Sabet
R. Sabet
00:10 Dec-13-2014
In Reply to Victor Nieto at 21:26 Dec-12-2014 .

Victor,
There is a wealth of research that has been done and is currently being done at Imperial College, London. They are the ones that own the patent being licensed to those who have responded to your request with sales pitches for specific equipment types.
If your search is for sales material from the manufacturer or piezoelectric based systems, look up www.twi-global.com or www.guided-ultrasonics.com in addition to the suggestions you have already received. If you are looking for actual scientific research, search for guided wave testing under http://www.imperial.ac.uk/

Hope this helps.
Reyaz

Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
16:27 Dec-15-2014
In Reply to R. Sabet at 00:10 Dec-13-2014 .

Thank you Mr. Sabet i've been going through information from the imperial college but i didnt know they were the ones who own the patent, i will put my research into it.
My work is not only to obtain a theoretical basis but also making a technical procedure to succesfuly aply the GWT.
Thank you for your time and advices.
Best Regards
Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Victor Nieto

Vepica,
Venezuela,
Joined Dec 2014
20:22 Dec-15-2014
In Reply to R. Sabet at 00:10 Dec-13-2014 .

Thank you Mr. Sabet i've been going through information from the imperial college but i didnt know they were the ones who own the patent, i will put my research into it.
My work is not only to obtain a theoretical basis but also making a technical procedure to succesfuly aply the GWT.
Thank you for your time and advices.
Best Regards
Victor Nieto

Sang Y. Kim
Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC, USA, Joined Feb 2008, 44

Sang Y. Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
21:54 Sep-14-2015
In Reply to Victor Nieto at 20:22 Dec-15-2014 .

Victor,

I am glad to hear that you are trying to find technical information about guided wave testing. There are two well-known transducers --- Magnetostrictive sensor (MsS) and piezoelectric transducer for pipeline inspection. Even though the generating principle of guided waves in pipe is different, all phenomena in pipe including wave propagation, attenuation, and the interaction between guided waves and defects are the same. If you are interested in MsS guided wave testing, please refer to ASTM E2929-13 standard. If you want to watch videos for learning how to inspect and monitor pipelines and how to focus guided wave, please visit this youtube site ( www.youtube.com/guidedwavetesting ).

Because your main methods are UT and Phased array/Guided waves, you will easily understand the guided wave testing method. It is not much different from ordinary ultrasonic testing. The main purpose of two methods is to find defects by looking at x-axis value (location and spatial resolution of signal) and y-axis value (signal-to-noise ratio of the detected signal). What is the most important things for finding defects in guided wave testing? They are the operating center frequency, high spatial resolution, and high signal-to-noise ratio. Please check those values in guided wave data and report.

I hope it is helpful on your study about guided wave testing.
Sang

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window