where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

DASEL SISTEMAS
Our Phased Array equipments, based on SITAU Technology, are among the PAS highest performance in the market.

Career Discussions
y.prudhvi raj
y.prudhvi raj
12:48 Dec-20-2014
color blindness for ndt

hello friends.I was very much interested in ndt course,but I have a color deficiency.Can I go for ndt or not.Please any one give me suggestions for me to go for ndt or not

vijayaraghavan p
Consultant,
Freelance consultant, India, Joined Dec 2009, 12

vijayaraghavan p

Consultant,
Freelance consultant,
India,
Joined Dec 2009
14:12 Dec-20-2014
Re: color blindness for ndt
In Reply to y.prudhvi raj at 12:48 Dec-20-2014 (Opening).

For NDT Inspectors , Near vision requirement : for visual acuity is J1 at a distance of 30.5 cms either corrected or uncorrected in any one of the eyes. ( This is American standard requirement. Like wise there are equivalent in other countries like N4 , in UK, Dr. Ishihara chart in France etc).
If you satisfy this requirement you can take Radiography, Ultrasonic, Eddy current Testing.

For colour vision, the requirement is : personnel shall be capable of adequately distinguishing and differentiating colors used in the process involved.

You can not do Penetrant and Magnetic Particle testing, because you are not meeting the requirement

Steve Doc
Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy, Egypt, Joined Feb 2011, 187

Steve Doc

Other, Quality Manager
Siemens Energy,
Egypt,
Joined Feb 2011
15:03 Dec-20-2014
In Reply to vijayaraghavan p at 14:12 Dec-20-2014 .

Disagree that a colour blind candidate cannot perform MT or PT. As long as the candidate can demonstrate the ability to determine between the colours used in each method, there is no rule to stop him from being certified and thus performing the test.

Mark
Mark
21:00 Dec-20-2014

Contact BINDT, ASNT or whoevers qualification you are looking to get.

Cant see how being colour blind would affect looking at a UT/ET set, Radiographic film or visually inspecting a weld.

Also cant see why people need to redo their colour blindness test every couple of years, colour blindness isn't something you acquire in life.

Here tell them you want to be a guinea pig.
http://www.genevolve.com/

y.prudhvi raj
y.prudhvi raj
02:34 Dec-21-2014
In Reply to Steve Doc at 15:03 Dec-20-2014 .

sir, then i am unfit for ndt ah.i dont have sight but i have a little color blindness.tell me that i can choose ndt or not.waiting for ur reply sir

y.prudhvi raj
y.prudhvi raj
03:36 Dec-21-2014
In Reply to Mark at 21:00 Dec-20-2014 .

hello sir,i have recently finished my btech in mechanical.i am interested in ndt but i have a color blindness but i dont have a sight,so please tell me that i can eligible for ndt or not.if not which course suits me.waiting for your reply sir

Mark
Mark
12:12 Dec-21-2014
In Reply to y.prudhvi raj at 02:34 Dec-21-2014 .

I said contact the BINDT/ASNT im not in a position to tell you either way.

jaimin patel
NDT Inspector, NDT LeveL-III @ UIC, KSA
Saudi Arabia, Joined Dec 2012, 100

jaimin patel

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
11:22 Dec-23-2014

Hello mate,

What kind of color blindness you have?

the main purpose of not allowing in NDT field is that,If a you find any defects say in PT which is of color red in white background,but you can not identify that difference.For you if that indication is white same as background then sorry to say u are not suitable person for NDT,but if identify that indicatin (say as yellow/green) then as per my knowledge you are suitable to do the job.

for RT interprtation u should be able to identify the difference shades of grey because RT films are only white and black!!

hope ths will clear your doubts,
Regards,
Jaimin Patel

Frank lund
R & D,
United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2005, 222

Frank lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
11:51 Dec-23-2014
In Reply to jaimin patel at 11:22 Dec-23-2014 .

There is a very wide spectrum of colour blindness from the barely perceptible to seeing the World only in monochrome.

In a test for going offshore, it was identified that I have some red-green colour blindness when looking at patterns of coloured dots printed on cards. I have no trouble telling the difference between the colours on traffic lights.

The only sure thing to do, is for y.prudhvi raj and others in his position to take a vision test relevant to the NDT process(es) that he is considering.

Yasin Gökçe ÖZTÜRK
Director,
Intercon Energy Test Control LLC. CO, Turkey, Joined Nov 2012, 6

Yasin Gökçe ÖZTÜRK

Director,
Intercon Energy Test Control LLC. CO,
Turkey,
Joined Nov 2012
12:08 Dec-23-2014

I think it would be helpful for you.

http://en.dunyagoz.com/treatments/color-blindness.html

jaimin patel

jaimin patel

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
13:08 Dec-23-2014
In Reply to Yasin Gökçe ÖZTÜRK at 12:08 Dec-23-2014 .

thank you mate for providing for link.

exctaly what i want to say!!

in short:
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO IDENTIFY LETTER IN BUNCH OF COLORS, CONGRATULATIONS!!

YOU ARE NOT COLOR BLIND(may be u see red as green whatever)

I have seen many people considering as whole thing in wrong concept and create issues with inspectors/technicians.
Hope they will understand this!!

YASİN GÖKÇE ÖZTÜRK
Director,
Intercon Energy Test Control LLC. CO, Turkey, Joined Nov 2012, 6

YASİN GÖKÇE ÖZTÜRK

Director,
Intercon Energy Test Control LLC. CO,
Turkey,
Joined Nov 2012
20:42 Dec-23-2014
In Reply to jaimin patel at 13:08 Dec-23-2014 .

Your wellcome I have the same blindness red-green so up to know I just need to identify the red & green for PA measurement cursor on equipment screen.Thats all If your equipment allows to change the cursor or back color thats means you will not face any wrong evaluation mistake.

jaimin patel

jaimin patel

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
04:31 Dec-24-2014
In Reply to YASİN GÖKÇE ÖZTÜRK at 20:42 Dec-23-2014 .

dear YASİN GÖKÇE ÖZTÜRK,

there are two options :-

1. As u said if possible then adjust color acordingly

2.from your reply i asume that u are identifying red as not red and green as not green,then you may train your brain acordingly!!

y.prudhvi raj
y.prudhvi raj
03:12 Dec-25-2014
In Reply to jaimin patel at 04:31 Dec-24-2014 .

actually i dont have a sight,but i have colour blindness,the doctor showed me a bunch of colors to identify a number.i cant able able to see some numbers.he said me that u have color blindness.somebody is saying with color blindness only pt test we cant able to do.so my question is that can i choose ndt for my future or not.please tell me and waiting for ur reply sir

jaimin patel

jaimin patel

Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2012
04:23 Dec-25-2014
In Reply to y.prudhvi raj at 03:12 Dec-25-2014 .

dear y.prudhvi raj,

sorry to say then NDT is wrong field for you.

You can't do PT & MT.
if same with shades of grey then not able to do RTFI.

you may able to do A scan,UTG,TOFD(same shades of grey applicable here) and PAUT(if you able to do with slective color)

S S Ananthan
Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions, India, Joined Jun 2000, 36

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
08:10 Dec-25-2014
In Reply to jaimin patel at 04:23 Dec-25-2014 .

I agree with Mr Patel. UT equipment in the modern era use colour coding for different regions within the screen and differentiation of these regions is required. Hence practically UT may be a problem for color blind candidates.

S S Ananthan

Frank Lund
R & D,
United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2005, 222

Frank Lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
00:57 Dec-26-2014
In Reply to y.prudhvi raj at 03:12 Dec-25-2014 .

If you can see some numbers in the coloured dots, it may well mean that you have only a specific range of colour blindness within the range of the particular tests, NOT complete colour blindness.

I was told that I have red/green colour blindness. It does not stop me from recognising the colours on traffic lights, but it does mean that, for example, I would have difficulty telling whether a wire is brownish red or redish brown unless I see both wires together and can compare them.

Did the person who tested you tell you what colour blindness you have and whether it is severe?

Was your test a general one or one to meet the needs of one or more NDT techniques? You might not be able to do very demanding work with colours, for example, in printing. But, you may be able to perform NDT. Only tests targeted at working in specific NDT techniques can tell you whether or not your colour vision is good enough to let you do the job.

Cheers,
Frank

y.prudhvi raj
y.prudhvi raj
06:13 Dec-26-2014
In Reply to S S Ananthan at 08:10 Dec-25-2014 .

sir after ndt level 2, their is a welding inspection course know sir to get a cswip,i want to do that course sir.so for that course color blindness is required or not,please tell me sir.waiting for your reply

Product Spotlight

OmniScan™ X3 flaw detector

The OmniScan X3 flaw detector is a complete phased array toolbox. Powerful tools, like total focus
ing method (TFM) images and advanced visualization capabilities, enable you to complete your inspection with greater confidence.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

Echomac® PA Tube Weld Tester

The new robotic Echomac® PA TW is an operator friendly test system for detecting weld zone defects
in tube and pipe caused by scarfing or welding processes. Electronic scanning ensures that the entire weld zone is covered without the need for mechanical movement or operator adjustment.
>

Ultrasonic Probe Recharacterization Service

NDT Systems offers a comprehensive Aftercare and Recharacterization Service for all our ultrasonic
probes. The Recharacterization Service is fully compliant with International ASTM E1065 Standard Guide (and other applicable standards) and offers complete documentation, traceable to the ASTM E1065 Standard. For more details or to schedule Recharacterization Services contact ndtsales@ndtsystems.com
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window