where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mahir Genc
Director,
Tesko NDT Company, Turkey, Joined Apr 2014, 6

Mahir Genc

Director,
Tesko NDT Company,
Turkey,
Joined Apr 2014
21:55 Jan-09-2015
About choice of PAUT and TOFD devices

Dear Colleagues,

At the pipelines of refineries, I want to work with PAUT and TOFD methods according to ASME and EN codes, besides of radiography.

Pipes are going to be carbon steel and stainless steel, mostly.
Pipes’ diameters are going to be between 3” and 48” and their thickness’ 3 mm and over.
What is the minimum acceptable thickness?
What is the advantages and disadvantages of this methods ?
What kind of training required and where can it be taken ?
Which devices is needed for the methods mentioned ?
How can i make the selection for the appropriate probes ?
Which one of the devices will be effective for application? (flaw detection, testing time, test evaluation time and the most importantly ofc cost.)

If you answer that questions and keep me informed, i will be glad.

Mahir

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 520

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
22:48 Jan-10-2015
Re: About choice of PAUT and TOFD devices
In Reply to Mahir Genc at 21:55 Jan-09-2015 (Opening).

Mahir

This is a huge subject and I would recommend reading around it a lot, there are a lot of articles on ndt.net

Looking at your questions in detail

Pipes are going to be carbon steel and stainless steel, mostly.
-> Both techniques are applibale for both, although most peublished work on TOFD relaltes to carbon steel.

Pipes’ diameters are going to be between 3” and 48” and their thickness’ 3 mm and over.

-> scanners exist to cover this range

What is the minimum acceptable thickness?

->standard techniques and analysis work for materials from around 6-7mm up. It is possible to test thinner than this, but it needs experience and there are limits to how well you can quantify defects.

What is the advantages and disadvantages of this methods ?

-> Huge subject - read some papers. However PA and TOFD complement each other, its normally advantageous to use both

What kind of training required and where can it be taken ?

-> Normally experienced UT operators can take the level II TOFD and PA course, but experience and supervision are needed. Distributors normally carry out basic familiarization training, but I would recommend attending one of the approved training establlishmenst I don't think any training is available in Turkey (I have had some discussions on providing basic training in Istanbul) but I may be wrong

Which devices is needed for the methods mentioned ?

-> Medium range Phased array flaw detectors (veo, Omniscan, Focus-scan etc.) normally are capable of both techniques.

How can i make the selection for the appropriate probes ?

Thats a complex subject, but easy once you've covered the basic training, or spoken to a distributor.

Which one of the devices will be effective for application? (flaw detection, testing time, test evaluation time and the most importantly ofc cost.)

-> Talk to your distributor, but capabilities of the different brands are similar since they all use the same physics, and to cover the range of sizes you've discussed the scanners, probes etc will be a big part of the cost.

Good luck

Joe

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window