where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Godfrey Hands
Consultant,
PRI Nadcap, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 1998, 304

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
16:18 May-10-2010
TESCO vs TAM Panel

What is the difference between the TESCO and the TAM (PSM5) panels used in penetrant testing?
It is my understanding that Tesco provides a control that a certain minimum sensitivity has been achieved in a test.
TAM is a check that the overall performance of the penetrant test system has not changed in any way.
Can these two checks be exchanged?
Are they not complementary?
Comments would be appreciated

George Hopman
Consultant,
NDE Solutions, USA, Joined Apr 2009, 44

George Hopman

Consultant,
NDE Solutions,
USA,
Joined Apr 2009
16:47 May-10-2010
Re: TESCO vs TAM Panel
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 16:18 May-10-2010 (Opening).

For some documentation on the capabilities, or lack thereof, of the TAM panel, you may want to read my article in Materials Evaluation:

http://asnt.org/publications/materialseval/basics/feb09basics/feb09basics.htm

Amy
NDT Inspector, - -
USA, Joined Jan 2009, 87

Amy

NDT Inspector, - -
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
16:57 May-10-2010
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 16:18 May-10-2010 (Opening).

Godfrey,
The TESCO or NiCr panels are made with differect size cracks 10-50um that the levels of penetrant are supposed to be able to distinguish..ex. Level 4 should be able to pick up the 10 um, but are mainly used for the process control aspect to directly compare the used and unused visually on a true comparison panel (exactly the same) as opposed to a TAM Panel which is typically compared to a photo or another panel in which no two are exactly alike. They may be exchanged for the system sensitivity test and a known defect standard.
The TAM panel is the 5 star panel that is compared to the original results with unused penetrant baselined when the panel is first recieved and a favorite NCR for auditors. It also has a roughened side for washability. We personally take the actual measurements of the stars when originally processed and compare as time goes on as well as the photograph to compare with the daily results. Most degredation I have seen is typically due to the panel, not the penetrant

There has been much discussion regarding the validity of a TAM panel and the true detection of a degradation in the system. At the Fall 2008 ASNT conference there was a great presentation in which all out of spec parameters were used and the panels still passed in most cases. Maybe someone here may know where to find the presentation. But since the panel has been written into most procedures it is an evil we are stuck with.

Check out this article written a while back on system performance tests.

http://www.asnt.org/publications/materialseval/basics/dec97basics/dec97basics.htm

IOWA State also did a great study on factors affecting sensitivity using the panels

http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/faa-casr/fpi/Papers/CASR_FPI_Literature_Review.pdf

Amy
NDT Inspector, - -
USA, Joined Jan 2009, 87

Amy

NDT Inspector, - -
USA,
Joined Jan 2009
17:08 May-10-2010
In Reply to George Hopman at 16:47 May-10-2010 .

Lol...thanks George, I do believe it was your presentation I was looking for. I enjoyed it. Great article, but will anyone listen?

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
09:00 May-11-2010
In Reply to Amy at 17:08 May-10-2010 .

George / Amy,
Thanks for your inputs and those documents. I had already found the one from IOWA state, but the other two were useful.
My conclusion is therefore that these both have a function, but cannot be exchanged when specified.
Also a new PSM panel also has to be calibrated against new penetrant, and is then restricted for use with that penetrant.

Godfrey

Godfrey Hands
Consultant,

Godfrey Hands

Consultant,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
16:48 Jan-14-2015
In Reply to George Hopman at 16:47 May-10-2010 .

George / Amy,
I refer back to this posting on NDT Forum.
I am now trying to locate the document which this posting led me to, where all sorts of mis-treatment was applied to a TAM Panel processing, but acceptable results still came out of the processing.
The URL that George posted does not work at the moment.

Godfrey

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 609

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
17:25 Jan-14-2015
In Reply to Godfrey Hands at 16:48 Jan-14-2015 .

All URLs of back to basics articles do not work after ASNT launched their new website.

ASNT members can login to search articles, however, it is such a stupid search that it is hard to find something what you are looking for.

If you can tell me the title of this link I may be able to find the article and I would send you a personal copy (if copyright allows).

New websites may be more fancy but the content often get worce :-)

Rolf

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Surf-X® Array Probe

Introducing the Surf-X family of flexible Eddy Current Array (ECA) probes. Featuring unique multiple
coil sets and proprietary X-PROBE technology, Surf-X array probes can quickly and accurately handle a range of inspection applications, from inspecting corrosion or cracking in pipes, pressure vessels, or tanks, to assessing and sizing cracks in raised welds and friction stir welds.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window