where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes (CMS) is a leader in Non Destructive Testing (NDT) with a complete range of products for eddy current and ultrasonic i ...
Technical Discussions
Mohd
Director,
Singapore, Joined Oct 2014, 8

Mohd

Director,
Singapore,
Joined Oct 2014
10:19 Feb-11-2015
Bottom Plate Tank Inspection (Without Shutting it down)

Hi guys,

just want to check if any can help me as I'm looking for an equipment which can perform the bottom plate tank inspection without the tank being shutdown.

I have come across Acoustic Emission but my client is not interested in it.

I was wondering if there some other equipment out there.

Thanks!

Philippe Rioux
R & D, Sonatest
Sonatest, Canada, Joined Jan 2015, 37

Philippe Rioux

R & D, Sonatest
Sonatest,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2015
13:10 Feb-11-2015
Re: Bottom Plate Tank Inspection (Without Shutting it down)
In Reply to Mohd at 10:19 Feb-11-2015 (Opening).

http://sonatest.com/products/range/phased-array/veo/16-64/ !!!!!

We sell wheelprobes and this give a fantastic combination. If it is just manual inspection, some users are also very happy with their T5 probe.
It is a detachable array with 64 elements. We also build custom wedges.

Please contact sales@sonatest.com if you want more information depending on your needings.

Regards,
Phil

Eraldo Pomponi
R & D, Teaching
Università Politecnica delle Marche, Italy, Joined May 2009, 7

Eraldo Pomponi

R & D, Teaching
Università Politecnica delle Marche,
Italy,
Joined May 2009
14:13 Feb-11-2015

I don't know of any other method that can perform this in-service inspection so this is a question for more experienced members of this forum.
However, for the sake of curiosity, I would really like to know, if possible, why there was
a so clear rejection of AE as a possible solution.

I'm trying to understand which is the "sentiment" of possible customers respect to the AE
NDT technology.

Best regards,
Eraldo

R P Bhan
R P Bhan
09:43 Feb-14-2015
In Reply to Eraldo Pomponi at 14:13 Feb-11-2015 .

It could be due to AE results in past have not been found to be 100 % reliable due to various reasons . It stems basically from the principle on which it works for tank bottom inspection .

There are vendors offering robotic inspection for bottom by putting robot from top but at a value.

Sudheer
Sudheer
11:15 Feb-14-2015
In Reply to Philippe Rioux at 13:10 Feb-11-2015 .

Philippe

Try to understand the question and please answer. Mohd asked for an inspection technique where he doesnt wants to empty the tank and needs to carry out the inspection of the bottom plates.

Debby Criel
Other, Inspection Engineer
Borealis, Belgium, Joined Oct 2013, 3

Debby Criel

Other, Inspection Engineer
Borealis,
Belgium,
Joined Oct 2013
13:24 Feb-16-2015

Hello,

We are dealing with the same problem, we want to investigate our fire water tank. So it is also not possible to empty our tank.

I had a few contacts for this examination and the possibilities for this were:
- using a diving company who can perform visual examinations + UT
- using a ROV robot with UT probe and camera for visual inspections.

I hope this will help you a bit further

Best regards,

Debby

Philippe Rioux
R & D, Sonatest

Philippe Rioux

R & D, Sonatest
Sonatest,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2015
16:18 Feb-16-2015

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Ms1MSca_xq7KDSYzPi_edQOfafgZdWa2jFYIutOC3Y/edit?usp=sharing

If you want a complete feasibility studies (Mohd or Debby) download this document.
Click on "Files" and save it as .docx. Fill it and send us back to us. Seeing the whole issue with pictures and criteria will be easy to answer after.

But overall to be brief:
The only limitation for linear scanning is flat surface. Rolling a WheelProbe requires flat/curve surface, access to a people and 20 cm clearance for the device itself.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
18:18 Feb-16-2015
In Reply to Philippe Rioux at 16:18 Feb-16-2015 .

Philippe, you again miss the point of the posting! Read the statement made "...bottom plate tank inspection without the tank being shutdown." Without the tank being shutdown indicates the tank will have liquid in it.
The link to a Sonatest feasibility form is not what Mohd is asking. Indeed, flat plates are easily inspected by roller UT or MFL options. But putting these on a tank floor with several metres of liquid in the tank is NOT feasible. The robotics and seals required in the electronics would make the process prohibitively costly.

Some years ago I saw a brochure by Sonotron showing a method using a form of CHIME to inspect the tank floor from the plate outside the tank in the skirt region. I do not recall the range of effectiveness but it did not require emptying the tank contents.

Philippe Rioux
R & D, Sonatest

Philippe Rioux

R & D, Sonatest
Sonatest,
Canada,
Joined Jan 2015
18:47 Feb-16-2015
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 18:18 Feb-16-2015 .

Ok, that means the inside is totally immersed as well as _exterior_. Water tanks into ground yes?
The only thing I know is that one of our costumers is working to inspect metal tube in ocean using the WheelProbe attached to an automated system. (the wire can be long up to 10 m. so the DFD is not in water :) )
The I see probably an AE as a solution. I know you guys can give then good contacts for him!

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
20:09 Feb-16-2015
In Reply to Philippe Rioux at 18:47 Feb-16-2015 .

There are perhaps 300+ technical papers on inspection of storage tanks when you do a search on NDT.net. One such paper is at http://www.ndt.net/events/ECNDT2014/app/content/Paper/188_Papasalouros.pdf
There you can read about both the AE and the UT options. (Figure 3 of that document describes the technique from the annular ring that I saw in the 1990s from Sonotron).

Eraldo Pomponi
R & D, Teaching
Università Politecnica delle Marche, Italy, Joined May 2009, 7

Eraldo Pomponi

R & D, Teaching
Università Politecnica delle Marche,
Italy,
Joined May 2009
23:39 Feb-16-2015
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 20:09 Feb-16-2015 .

Dear Mohd,

As Ed pointed out, NDT.net lists plenty of papers regarding your problem. Much more can be found on google. For instance, Ed linked a paper form one of the AE manager of PAC Greece. They can offer a set of commercial applications to help you solve your problem. On the other hand, what discouraged me from suggesting a similar review of the known literature about AE applications (Ed didn't limit it to AE but I do) was your answer to my inquire regarding why AE was dismissed so soon as a possible solution:

"It could be due to AE results in past have not been found to be 100 % reliable due to various reasons . It stems basically from the principle on which it works for tank bottom inspection ."

The last sentence is not clear and probably biased but I preferred not to fire nonconstructive flames. Now that the discussion seems to revamp interest on the AE technology, it would be nice to have a more in-depth description of what you meant.
Of course such kind of discussion doesn't offer you a solution to your problem but could help me, and probably others, to understand which are the real limitations of AE applications rather than an ill fame.

Best,
Eraldo

John Norman
Consultant, owner of business
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Oct 2012, 116

John Norman

NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Oct 2012
01:20 Feb-17-2015

Hi Mohd.

If you do a google search for "robotic tank inspection" you will find several companies that have developed robotic tools for NDT inspections inside tanks that still contain product. I have no idea about capability or cost, but maybe they have some technology that could help you. For example, look at the Techcorr website and the AHak wesite.

These robots seem to be able to do ultrasonic inspection which might be useful to you.

Regards
John Norman

Fadzil
MRA International Sdn Bhd, Malaysia, Joined Mar 2015, 3

Fadzil

MRA International Sdn Bhd,
Malaysia,
Joined Mar 2015
01:17 Mar-17-2015

Hi!,

There is a Diagnostic Tool that can Screen the Entire Tank/Pipe or any Solid Metallic Object/Material, Internal & External On line with Zero Shutdown, which can detect Corrosion, Crack, Metallurgical, Mechanical & Erosion. The Tool also can measure and provide a good accuracy of the defect location with the sizing (Length,Width & Depth).

If you need further info regarding this, please contact me, I will provide you with the sample report as well.

Petronas, Shell are using it right now, next will be Chevron and TOTAL, I can provide the contact reference as well.

Thank you.

John Norman
NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Oct 2012, 116

John Norman

NTS Ultrasonics Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Oct 2012
01:55 Mar-17-2015
In Reply to Fadzil at 01:17 Mar-17-2015 .

Hi Fadzil.

I see that your company promotes a technology called "Phonon Diagnostic Technology". How does this differ from conventional acoustic emission technology? Are the sensors different in some way?

Regards
John Norman

fatima
fatima
17:00 May-06-2015
In Reply to Fadzil at 01:17 Mar-17-2015 .

Fadzil, I appreciate it if you can provide me some information regarding this technology, sample report and contact reference as well.

Fadzil Othman
MRA International Sdn Bhd, Malaysia, Joined Mar 2015, 3

Fadzil Othman

MRA International Sdn Bhd,
Malaysia,
Joined Mar 2015
17:09 May-06-2015
In Reply to fatima at 17:00 May-06-2015 .

Hi Fatima,

You may email to me (fadzil@mra-sb.com) or call +60193229090

Thank you.

Regards.

Harendra Latiyan
Harendra Latiyan
13:01 May-09-2015

Hi,
It might be worth having a look at the paper from APCNDT 2013. It speaks about a monitoring technique for tank floor.

http://www.ndt.net/article/apcndt2013/papers/049.pdf

As far as I understand it will not be the solution for your immediate requirement, however development & implementation of such technologies might be a value addition over a longer run, especially if the number of tanks in operation is large and cost implication of shutdown are high.

Harendra

Prabhath Kaimal
Prabhath Kaimal
10:39 Jan-09-2018

You can go with Phonon Technology.

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

NovaScope 6000

The all-digital Novascope 6000 is a portable, ultra-high precision thickness gauge for high-speed
thickness measurement. Novascope 6000 has unmatched capabilities and unique features including: •Superior Resolution with high contrast, high-speed color RF display •High pulser voltage •Real-time video output •Increased internal/external data storage •Programmable SetUp features •Battery & AC Powered
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window