where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
NR
India, Joined Feb 2015, 3

NR

India,
Joined Feb 2015
20:42 Feb-23-2015
phased array UT

I am looking to inspect a 40mm plate that is welded to 60 mm plate. Are there any guidelines with regard to looking at this transition of thickness and which side of weld axis (thin or thick plate) should the ultrasonic inspection be carried out. RT mandates inspection from thin side.

Thanks
NR

J Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
22:02 Feb-23-2015
Re: phased array UT
In Reply to NR at 20:42 Feb-23-2015 (Opening).

Just make sure you develop a very good Scan Plan with two index positions on both sides of the weld.

You did not state the material type, so a standard frequency of say 5 MHz should be good. You might fire 32 elements in lieu of 16.

If RT is required you should qualify the PA Procedure with its essential variables.

NR

NR

India,
Joined Feb 2015
12:20 Feb-24-2015
In Reply to J Mark Davis at 22:02 Feb-23-2015 .

Mr. Mark,

Thanks for your response. I am looking at two aluminum alloy plates. Are there any guidelines in ASME for inspection of such plates using conventional UT? I have always been told to inspect from the thin plates on such transition welds. But I am not sure why we can`t inspect from thick plate. Again thank you.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1307

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
14:00 Feb-24-2015
In Reply to NR at 12:20 Feb-24-2015 .

NR, you have not indicated what standard you are supposed to be working to. If you are working to ASME (since you have asked for guidelines in ASME) the requirements of examination are given in T471 and T-472. There is no discussion of working from one side or the other. Even RT instructions would not make such a distinction. Do not confuse the requirement of RT to use the sensitivity requirements of the IQI with the side from which to inspect.

NR

NR

India,
Joined Feb 2015
17:41 Feb-24-2015
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 14:00 Feb-24-2015 .

Mark and Ed Thanks for your inputs. My colleague was referring to transition in terms of two plates of different materials. In which case he says the inspection should be from thin plate since it is the thin plate section where the weld is present. As opposed to thickness transition I was looking at. Both of you are right in guiding me to inspect it from both sides of weld since both plates are of the same material. Thanks

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler 6''-60''

Suitable to work in 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometer
s and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

TraiNDE UT

TraiNDE UT is a virtual tool associated with a signal database which simulates real inspection con
ditions for numerous applications (Type A/V1 block, DAC block, welds and plates).
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window