where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Gabriel Herrera
Gabriel Herrera
06:26 Mar-29-2015
Corrosion Calibration on Omniscan SX or MX2

Hello people, please I need some help maybe some one can help me, I'm trying to calibrate my omniscan sx for corrosion detection but I can't, maybe someone knows a guide to do this? I need a special calibration block? I just have the IIW block, and a gauge-steps for measure thickness, thank you so much for the information

Gabriel Herrera
NDT Inspector,
RADIN, Ecuador, Joined Mar 2015, 3

Gabriel Herrera

NDT Inspector,
RADIN,
Ecuador,
Joined Mar 2015
13:34 Mar-29-2015
Re: Corrosion Calibration on Omniscan SX or MX2
In Reply to Gabriel Herrera at 06:26 Mar-29-2015 (Opening).

oh sorry, i mean find corrosion with phased array probe not with a conventional probe, I have a 64 elements compression wave transducer, again thank you so much for whatever information aboit that.

Charlie Jackson
Charlie Jackson
16:43 Mar-29-2015
In Reply to Gabriel Herrera at 13:34 Mar-29-2015 .

Download corrosion sensitivity

I have attached a block we designed to accommodate a scan performed with the Hydroform probe there being no standard recommendation. Our criteria was first detection and then capability of measurement. Our initial test blocks were simply made using standard drills and available plate off cuts, these were followed by specially constructed ‘expensive’ blocks which were produced to satisfy the audit process. We have a working sensitivity of 80% FSH +26dB for corroded components with both manual and PA which accommodates the large dB swings which can be experienced during corrosion scans. The use of soft gain is obviously useful with PA so I would suggest you might want to use FSH + 6dB for your PA scans and then soft gain accordingy

Hope the message helps and apologies the drill size should state 2mm not 1mm diameter.

Charlie

Rick
NDT Inspector, API-510 Inspector / NDT Technician
Contractor, Australia, Joined May 2012, 18

Rick

NDT Inspector, API-510 Inspector / NDT Technician
Contractor,
Australia,
Joined May 2012
09:51 Mar-30-2015
In Reply to Gabriel Herrera at 13:34 Mar-29-2015 .

Hi
are you trying to setup the unit to actually scan for corrosion
or calibrate? (you are already setup ready to go)
for calibration, go with a piece of metal consistent with your expected material and thickness and "fake corrosion" as per charlie
if you are trying to setup. let me know, i'll send you some notes

Tuong
NDT Inspector, PV EIC NDT
PV EIC NDT, Vietnam, Joined Mar 2014, 19

Tuong

PV EIC NDT,
Vietnam,
Joined Mar 2014
15:04 Mar-30-2015
In Reply to Rick at 09:51 Mar-30-2015 .

Dear Jackson
What difference in this case with your advice ?,When He using conventional probe(Hard Wedge)
Thanks

Charlie Jackson
Charlie Jackson
16:07 Mar-30-2015
In Reply to Tuong at 15:04 Mar-30-2015 .

Tuong

There is no difference in the sensitivity using a contact(hardprobe)probe or PA for the inspection of corrosion - as we set a level of Full screen hieght +26dB for contact probes we use the same for PA setup. The block is used to confirm coverage and detection capability for the PA

I hope this answers your question

Regards Charlie Jackson

Carlos Correia
R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP, Venezuela, Joined Oct 2008, 120

Carlos Correia

R & D, - -
UCV & EGROUP,
Venezuela,
Joined Oct 2008
19:15 Mar-30-2015
In Reply to Charlie Jackson at 16:07 Mar-30-2015 .

Gabriel mira este video, seguro te funciona, saludos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2HK5xvo9CE

Gabriel Herrera
NDT Inspector,
RADIN, Ecuador, Joined Mar 2015, 3

Gabriel Herrera

NDT Inspector,
RADIN,
Ecuador,
Joined Mar 2015
21:11 Mar-30-2015
In Reply to Carlos Correia at 19:15 Mar-30-2015 .

Hello friends thanks so much for your answers =) They give me a lot of ideas =) the main problem that i had is when i have to setup the wedge delay and the sensibility, I can see that is similar that when I calibrate my shear wave UTPA transducer to detect discontinuities, but when I calibrate it I used a IIW calibration block, so when I wanna calibrate my compression wave UTPA transducer for corrosion detection I don't know what I must utilise to fulfill the sensibility and wedge delay, the screen looks the same :S.

Carlos muchas gracias el video me fué muy útil, gracias por tu tiempo

Tuong
PV EIC NDT, Vietnam, Joined Mar 2014, 19

Tuong

PV EIC NDT,
Vietnam,
Joined Mar 2014
03:35 Mar-31-2015
In Reply to Gabriel Herrera at 21:11 Mar-30-2015 .

Many thank Jackson
Dear Carlos. Your Clip for SX and MX2, it is useful to me. Can I use that for MX?Can you help me If you have calibration guide for MX ?
Thank you so much

Product Spotlight

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window