where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Drive
Drive
14:07 Jul-15-2010
Alternating Current Field Measurement

Please I will like to know how one carries this techniques.are there any codes out there that could be of help? I know they are successfully used for weld inspections. I will like to know how one can qualify for this techniques and its major limitations...hindering it from being as prominent as the Big 6 NDT methods.

Any other comments as regards this techniques will be appreciated.

Jim Draper
Consultant, ASNT Level III MT PT RT VT
Draper NDT, USA, Joined Jul 2009, 99

Jim Draper

Draper NDT,
USA,
Joined Jul 2009
22:09 Jul-15-2010
Re: Alternating Current Field Measurement
In Reply to Drive at 14:07 Jul-15-2010 (Opening).

I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. If you are trying to measure the magnetic field induced by a alternating curent, you can use a hall effect gauss meter made for A.C. fields. If you are wanting to know about using an A.C. Yoke for weld inspection, generally the strength of the yoke is tested by lifting a test bar with it.

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 523

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
23:59 Jul-15-2010
In Reply to Jim Draper at 22:09 Jul-15-2010 .

"I'm not sure what exactly you are asking. "

Feel quite sorry for Dave, Martin and friends, all those years doing what I thought was an excellent job, developing promoting the technique and establishing its credibility, and there are obviously people who are completely ignorant of it...

I'm sure one of the experts will be on the forum soon, but I know that training is available in both PCN and SNT-TC-1A schemes.

The most established standard is E 2261 – 03 : " Standard Practice for
Examination of Welds Using the Alternating Current Field Measurement Technique" there are also a number of industry specific standards.

Loads of Info on http://www.tscinspectionsystems.com/

I've never used the technique in anger myself, but have worked with a lot of people who have. Having an eddy current background I was initially sceptical, (It can't be that easy....) but it seems to be a pretty reliable technique. Its limitations, when used appropriately, seem to be few, and easily predictable.

Joe

Jim Draper
Draper NDT, USA, Joined Jul 2009, 99

Jim Draper

Draper NDT,
USA,
Joined Jul 2009
00:51 Jul-16-2010
In Reply to Joe Buckley at 23:59 Jul-15-2010 .

That's interesting. Never heard of it, but I'm going to have to look into it.

Nick Welland
Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services, Australia, Joined Oct 1999, 42

Nick Welland

Other, Quality and NDT
Aben Technical Services,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999
06:10 Jul-16-2010
In Reply to Jim Draper at 00:51 Jul-16-2010 .

ACFM is a very good inspection method which should be in wider use than it currently is. I have been using ACFM for over 10 years with success and have seen its use in Australia grow albeit slowly over that time, both on- and off-shore. It is run by fairly user-friendly software, but it must be interpreted by properly trained persons. I suspect the limiting factor has been in cost of equipment and the training, companies have been reactive in its promotion and its most prominent applications here are client-driven.
Cheers All,
Nick

Martin Lugg
Consultant,
TSC Inspection Systems, United Kingdom, Joined Nov 2000, 27

Martin Lugg

Consultant,
TSC Inspection Systems,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2000
09:54 Jul-16-2010

Thanks Joe! We do wonder what we've been doing since Alternating Current Field Measurement was developed in the mid 1980s.

The ASTM standard practice is the main published procedure, and is in turn referenced by ASME Code V Article 15. ACFM is also included in the ABS guide for Nondestructive Inspection of Hull Welds, a Cofrend Recommendation (in French), and NACE Standard Practice RP0296.
It is one of the 4 techniques recognised by ASNT under Electromagnetic Methods in SNT-TC-1A (2006).

Regarding certified training courses, as well as PCN and SNT, the longest running is the CSWIP scheme (aimed more at offshore inspection).

Finally, as far as use goes. It is (I think) very widely used for subsea inspection now, but take up onshore has been slower. Since it seems to be competing mainly with MT and PT (although giving depth information as well as detection) the much higher capital cost is a barrier. Service companies are understandably not keen on spending more money on kit which can do their inspections faster, if they are on a day rate from their client!

Drive
Drive
09:58 Jul-16-2010
In Reply to Drive at 14:07 Jul-15-2010 (Opening).

Nick and Joe.....Thanks for the responses

@ Jim .welcome to my world a few weeks back when i was ignorant of ACFM today am in a situation i have to develop its procedure, hence looking for standards, which Joe has freely given me..again joe thanks

Sunny Stephen
Engineering, Welding inspector
ocerancare corporation, Malaysia, Joined May 2015, 1

Sunny Stephen

Engineering, Welding inspector
ocerancare corporation,
Malaysia,
Joined May 2015
10:10 May-20-2015

Good day to all..
Anyone have the ASTM standard E 2261 03:Standard Practice for Examination of Welds Using the ACFM or any download links..can share it to me. Appreciate it

here is my mail sunny9367.ss@gmail.com. Thanks in advance

Frank Lund
R & D,
United Kingdom, Joined Apr 2005, 219

Frank Lund

R & D,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2005
16:43 May-20-2015
In Reply to Sunny Stephen at 10:10 May-20-2015 .

E2261 - 03 has been updated to E2261 - 07. I helped revise it to the "07" version to take account of the restrictions of the technique and the disturbances which affect it.

Are many people relying upon the outdated version?

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window