where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Modsonic Instruments Mfg Co Pvt Ltd
We are leading Indian manufacturer and exporter of portable “Ultrasonic Testing Equipment”
Technical Discussions
Carlos
Colombia, Joined Jan 2015, 3

Carlos

Colombia,
Joined Jan 2015
16:27 Sep-14-2015
Notches in IIW block

Good day

To serve or what the aim of the notches that bring new blocks iiw?

http://www.phtool.com/store2/proddetail.asp?prod=PAIIW.MX

Carlo

Paul Holloway
Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc , Canada, Joined Apr 2010, 227

Paul Holloway

Consultant,
Holloway NDT & Engineering Inc ,
Canada,
Joined Apr 2010
16:55 Sep-20-2015
Re: Notches in IIW block
In Reply to Carlos at 16:27 Sep-14-2015 (Opening).

I assume you mean the 4 notches in the upper right of the image you linked. Perhaps Phil Herman can chime in on this, but I would presume it's for crack sizing; verifying the positions of the tip diffracted signal and the corner trap.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
19:05 Sep-20-2015

Carlos, I took a look at the photo in the link you provided. I do not know who invented the design, but it does not appear to be one that has any national or international approval. It is called a "Phased Array IIW Block" but it has no resemblance to the design that the IIW/ISO committees have been working on.
The text below the image refers to a "Type A" Calibration block. The only document that seems to refer to an IIW-Type block with the term "Type A" is the old French Norm NF A 09-310.
It would seem that using the term "IIW-Type" can give the block a false representation that it is some sort of official Standard. Buyer beware!

Phil Herman
Sales, - Manufacture of NDT Reference Standards/Test Blocks
PH Tool Reference Standards, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 79

Phil Herman

PH Tool Reference Standards,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
05:56 Sep-21-2015

I'll try to shed some light on this block but will need to do some digging in our files as it is a bit fuzzy. What I recall is that the design was presented to PH Tool about 10 years ago and at the time, it was described as an IIW-type block for phased array UT. The company manufactured a small quantity for a reseller and engraved the initial run with that rather confusing description as the drawing specified. Shortly after the company began offering this design to the NDT community, we changed the name from PA IIW to Cal Block Type A. Part of the confusion continues as the item images were taken of the early blocks and do not capture the newer name. I understood that the four slots were to be used for crack sizing but cannot intelligently explain more. This block is NOT the same block as the newly approved ISO block, nor is it trying to be. That version will be available from the company very soon. At this time, only a few prototypes have been manufactured and shared with the ISO design team.

Phil Herman

Phil Herman

USA,
Joined Oct 1999
00:17 Sep-22-2015
In Reply to Phil Herman at 05:56 Sep-21-2015 .

As promised, I dig some digging and was able to locate the origin of this block. It first crossed my desk in early 2006 as a GEIT drawing dated May 19, 2005. I will not state the drawing no. here publicly, but the title block is "Block; PA IIW." As a side note, the PH Tool marketing team updated the images on our store today to remove the potentially confusing "IIW-Type" reference that appeared on the engraved block. No suggestion of an official standard was ever made, implied, or intended.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1286

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
13:46 Sep-22-2015
In Reply to Phil Herman at 00:17 Sep-22-2015 .

Thanks for that background Phil. The industry has been looking for a PAUT reference block for awhile now. The drawing you quoted was 7 years prior to the IIW meeting.
It was not until 2012 that a working group was assembled by the International Institute of Welding, to consider a new calibration block design for phased-array ultrasonic applications. There were a few "recommendations" for the IIW committee to consider. Having a variety of block designs available is normal in NDT. It was not until I read the 1990 paper in NDT International by Fred Hotchkiss that I realised there was a naming protocol using "Type". With the many variations on this particular "shape" of block, the old paper is a handy reference.
Guide to designs of IIW-type blocks, F. H. C. Hotchkiss, NDT International, Volume 23 Number 6 December 1990

Rick Lopez
R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center, USA, Joined Jul 2011, 190

Rick Lopez

R & D,
John Deere - Moline Technology Innovation Center,
USA,
Joined Jul 2011
15:07 Sep-22-2015
In Reply to Phil Herman at 00:17 Sep-22-2015 .

Ed and Phil,
Interesting discussion. I had come across a November 2006 paper and presentation a few years ago that used this block design, and it seems likely that this GE team was the originators. When the second author visited us in 2011 I had quizzed him a bit about the block, and it didn't seem like he was aware it was being fabricated commercially. If you look at Section 3.4 it describes how the four slots were to simulate cracks of increasing depth:
http://www.ndt.net/article/apcndt2006/papers/60.pdf

I came across the actual presentation from this session at some point that contains a few more pictures, but the punchline is the same.
Regards

Phil Herman

Phil Herman

USA,
Joined Oct 1999
20:41 Sep-22-2015
In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 13:46 Sep-22-2015 .

It is my pleasure, Ed. I agree that the Fred Hotchkiss' article is a great resource for understanding the myriad of test blocks resembling the IIW-types. He clearly explains that by adding "-type" after "IIW", the test block is not one approved by the International Institute of Welding, but rather is a close cousin. I think many in our industry today think the "Type" is a prefix for the number that follows; typically a 1 or 2. Perhaps this thread will help to educate all of us. Thanks, Carlos, for initiating the conversation!

Phil Herman

Phil Herman

USA,
Joined Oct 1999
20:49 Sep-22-2015
In Reply to Rick Lopez at 15:07 Sep-22-2015 .

Thanks, Rick. This paper from 2006 is very helpful. I'm not surprised that one of the authors was unaware that the block was being manufactured during his visit with you in 2011. PH Tool did not make the initial production run until March of 2011. I imagine it took some time for this design to get legs, and for requests to start showing up.

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

HARDNESS TESTER TKM-459CE combi

TKM-459CE combi applies 2 methods of hardness control: UCI and Leeb. It provides high-accuracy tes
ting of metals and alloys as well as items of different sizes and configurations, their hardened layers and galvanic coatings. Device represents results in HB, HRC, HV and others. Shock-, dust- and water-proof housing with intuitive software make this gauge easy to use in all working conditions.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window